• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Mysterious" Infrastructure Objects

Ah thanks kind sir - alas google maps doesn't allow a zoom in from the link.

However it's approx 5 km west of Bickington near Newton Abbot, just as one drives onto the moor.

Here's a 'grounded flying saucer' in Cornwall.

IMG_2341.jpg

For godsake Robert, I mean Rynner this picture has to be shot at night and the saucer needs to be 10000 feet in the air with flashing disco lights.

I came across this by accident.

A relic of WWII. The concrete gun-pit is disguised as an agricultural buiding, the anti-tank gun was to be aimed at a strategic crossing of the River Eden, in the event of an invasion-force landing on the North East coast.

Nice find thanks. That 2-pounder wouldn't have done much against Panzer III's or IV's around the time of 1940. The gun had a limited range and in static defense like that was easily flanked.

Would have been a death sentence for those operating it. :(

This one's not far from me, near Crondall in Hampshire. I sometimes go mountain biking around here:

Circular building.JPG

I think it's a capped reservoir, as there are water board signs in the vicinity.

Or at least that's what they want us to believe! You can't get too close though, so it could be a nefarious black site run by the shadow government ....

I think it's a capped reservoir, as there are water board signs in the vicinity.

Or at least that's what they want us to believe! You can't get too close though, so it could be a nefarious black site run by the shadow government ....
It's a Bond-style super criminal's secret lair. Like Blofeld's base inside a caldera of a volcano.

They are hot off the tablet via Bluetooth with just a lot of jpg shrinking for starters. I may do some meddling in iPhoto later but they really need a reshoot on a less overcast day. :)

I was just happy to get Bluetooth file transfer to work after I had mistakenly authorized a lengthy Android update. :eek:

I love the sense of civic pride which comes across in the plaques. It's such a shame that some twat decided to graffiti them. :(

But thanks for posting. :)

I only noticed when I was playing with the resizing that the pumping station was opened on 21st June, 1955.

Maybe there is something magical and a bit Masonic going on here.

The curious mural was by Mitzi Cunliffe. :)

I had planned to find the place from which it is possible to photograph the reservoir itself.

I have never set eyes on it, though the sense of it, poised above you on the embankment in Heaton Park is occult in effect. Lots of United Utilities notices sternly warn against trespassing up the slope to peer into the chilly stillness of the waters.

Here is a blog by some cheerful codgers who went on an urban hike, tracing the course of the Thirlmere Aqueduct! :clap:

And here is an exploration of some of the water-chambers, leading from the reservoir.

Last edited:
Back