• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Injuries

Larahuk

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A few years ago, I woke up one morning with three parallel cuts on the fleshy part of my palm below the thumb that I didn't have when I went to sleep. The cuts were a bit like those you get with a razor blade - very cleanly made, but deep - and seemed to be made at an angle - there was a thin flap of skin covering the actual cuts if this makes sense! Each one was about an inch long. There were no sharp objects in my bed or in the immediate area and to this day I still have no idea where I got the cuts. They healed normally with no scar but were very sore for a few days - and I wasn't drunk or otherwise intoxicated when I went to bed!

Anyone else woken up with odd injuries and, apart from sleepwalking, has anyone any theories?

Emps posted something similar (mysterious hand/finger experience) here and then there's this and even this.

Welcome to the FTMB, btw. :) :hello:

Thanks for the links - sounds like what I'm talking about!

At the time I didn't have any pets in the house at all - the cuts were too clean to have been done by an animal I think!

Larahuk said:
- the cuts were too clean to have been done by an animal I think!

Ah. You never encountered China Lightning Claws, then. Could give you cuts fine enough to be done by paper.

Did they look like this?:

2006_0505Kath_Gav0145.jpg

If so, I did that to my finger with a Gillette Mach III blade a few months ago.

I had dropped the blade behind the sink while ... ethanolically challenged. Groping unsighted for it, I found it and grabbed. Too hard.

As to your exact circumstances I can't comment, but Occam's Razor and mine suggest a solution!

maximus otter

I'm forever scratching myself with my broken or bitten fingernails. I don't bite my nails much these days but I've not exactly developed a 'nail-care routine' so they break from time to time and I do still occasionally bite them, sometimes to neaten them up when they've broken. Many, many times I have scratched my face with a rough nail while brushing away my hair and I look like a cat's had a go at me.
Last week however, while I was out and about in a market I broke a nail and before I knew it by absent-mindedly 'feeling' at it (the way you involuntarily find yourself prodding about at a broken tooth with your tongue) I had made three cuts in the pad of my thumb, very clean and sharp like from a razor blade and deep enough to draw blood, and at an angle as you describe.

A possibility?

Back