• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysteriously Empty Seats Near Hole On Alaska Airlines Flight 1282

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
"On Jan. 7, 2024, a TikTok user posted a video and said, "My new Roman Empire is the fact that nobody was sitting in that seat on that plane where the window or door or piece of the plane literally broke off in the middle of the flight. How was no one sitting there? What are the odds?""

https://www.snopes.com/news/2024/01/12/alaska-airlines-missed-flight/

I don't have anything to add right now to what I'm sure will be an interesting discussion - except to clarify something about the incident that has been misunderstood by some. The part of the plane that failed was not a door, or simply a window, but a "door plug". The aircraft is built with an option for an emergency exit at that point, but the way this particular plane was laid out did not require that exit, so the opening was plugged with a door-sized structure that is not intended to open.

Hopefully we can weed out some speculation or faked testimony that comes our way if it contradicts the nature of the plug.

Back