• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysteriously Exploding Or Disintegrating Glass Objects

A

Anonymous

Hi,
This is my first post here, and I happened upon this site when looking for somewhere to tell this story !

This morning I was sitting in front of my computer, as usual,
and listening to "Democracy Now.org", as usual,
and my 8 OUNCE GLASS OF JUICE, was sitting, in front of the little speaker that is right next to the monitor...as usual.

I was painting something on my lap as I listened, and after a couple sips of juice, suddenly there was this EXPLOSION, that made me close my eyes it was so loud.
And then there was the glass, totally shattered, the SMALL peices of it HAD ONLY FLUNG themselves in place on the table, and some on the floor by my feet. There was no glass further away then a couple feet from where the glass wassitting, and there were NO LARGE PIECES left.
But heres some details: This was a VERY THICK clear glass. The top area 1/16 inch or so, BUT THE BOTTOM OF THE GLASS WAS 1/2 inch thick in places, and these peices were just crumbled up!

And for all you Sonic bloomers out there, guess what was in it? A good teaspoon of powdered SPIRULINA, along with youghurt, OJ, some watermelon juice....not that that makes any difference..

but gee, all I can think of is that some wave came out of the speaker and did it, and it made me wonder if it may have been amped up, or CAN be "sent through" the net during certain shows like democracy now...but maybe Im being paranoid.

Any one have any comment, or similar event.....

No, that glass wasnt cracked, and if it had been in the slightest, I dont see how it could have exploded like that.

I guess I wont put the glasses there again, but why now I wonder??

Thanks for listening

DES 8)

Welcome. :hello: How old was the glass?

Glass

Hi
Thanks 4 the welcome!
I got the glass from a thriftstore, about a year ago
I mean , it was a thick, heavy kind! :shock:

Yes to both...so, do you think it was waterlogged or something, predisposed to explosion????????? ;)

many cheaper glass items have a fracture that cannot be seen, they are there from when manafactured. Ive also seen a grass picked up and its then fallen into 2 pieces, it wasnt picked up roughly, just "normally". Chances are yours was one of these.

You know as much as I recon that it was due to some waves coming from the speakers, the last explanation about a glass with a crack can break is so not applicable to this one.
A) if it had a crack, it would have been weak at that spot and probably broken in half but it was completely smashed in very small pieces, no large pieces left. It said so in the original post.
B) It was a thick glass, if it had a small crack it would very probably ok to be used for a while [I had a thick glass with a crack and it lasted for ages].

I think it is an interesting account, not necessarily fortean but strange nevertheless.

Its absurd to propose (IMO) that it broke due to a crack, just out of nowhere like that. Something more happened. Especially to leave just only tiny fragments of it behind like this. Windows will shatter at correct frequencies, but not explode like this. I have no conclusion other than the fact that an explosion of this type was not at all due to it being an old glass, or cracked.

Glass

Thanks for the Input, people.

I KNOW it wasnt a crack situation...thats for sure!
Add to it that I had been listening to C2CAMs guest Nick Begich, and On Art Bells Sunday show, those guys talking about HAARP, etc.......

sometimes I think things "happen" in my reality, related to what Im focussed on, and as if to "show me" something about it...

Well, Im going to go turn on that same show again, but I wont ttry to see if I can repeat it because it was such a MESS to clean up and I dont have another glass exactly like that!

No accidents!

PS. We live right next door to a particular Military base that tests ammo in the field 10 miles away, and when they are at it our whole house shakes and you can feel the blasts as if the ground underneath us is hollow.
Maybe theyre testing all sorts of Other Ammo :( :cry:

creatorS said:
This was a VERY THICK clear glass. The top area 1/16 inch or so, BUT THE BOTTOM OF THE GLASS WAS 1/2 inch thick in places, and these peices were just crumbled up!

My husband and I own some glasses than can do this. One broke in half while I was holding it (over the kitchen sink, thank goodness!). Two others burst into tiny cubes when they were slightly bumped in the dishwasher (and we had to buy a new dishwasher -- couldn't get all the bits out).

These glasses are easily 1/2-inch thick on the bottom and heavy walled.

Why they are prone to shattering, I don't know. You probably should get some other glasses.

(Now that I think about it, one of them cracked through just the other night. Started with a dozen of them; only eight left. They were a gift from my mother-in-law which, I hope, is not relevant.)

Glasses can shatter for all kinds of non-obvious reasons.
Had the glass just been washed in very hot water before you but the drink in it? The temperature differential can cause a breakdown in the surface tension of the glass, causing lots of microscopic fractures.
Do you have a dishwasher that's set too hot, or very hot water from the taps?

Glass

Well!

Nice to hear someone else had a thick one that shattered, BBUT

I dont have a dishwasher, and I must say, I use very warm water to wash dishes, and this glass came out of the cool cupboard that morning.

I think SOUND and frequency do things, and a glass ready to break, plus the Expanding spirulina ;) ........
could be all it was...
not some attack on a citizen who listens to things THEY dont want you to know!!!! 8) :lol:

Thanks everyone, Ill post more better stories than this one, later when I get time 8)

Probably cheaply made glasses. Glass that is not properly annealed in manufacturing can break in all sorts of ways, often spontaneously: split in 2 pieces, shatter, the bottom can fall out, the rim can break off in one piece even! I worked for 15+ years at a glass factory and I've pretty much seen it all. We would have customers return items occasionally, if the story was something like “it just broke while sitting on the shelf!” we always believed them. I’ve never seen or heard (sorry about the pun) of sound causing glass to break, but did see it done on television recently, an American TV show called MythBusters on the Discovery Channel. It was really cool but not that easy. It required VERY loud speakers and certain frequencies.
~Amazoid

It hadn`t been anywhere near a halogen desk lamp, had it?

A year or so ago, I was woken in the night by what sounded like a small explosion in my bedroom.
In the morning i discovered that an expensive, thick ornamental glass dish that stood on the dressing table. had cracked in half.
It seemed totally creepy and unexplained until I remebered that I`d had a little tiny inoffensive halogen light on much earlier, that was clipped onto the dressing table mirror. The glass must have been weakened when the light was on, then expanded/ contracted or whatever enough to break several hours later.

MsT2

That halogen lamp suggestion just reminded me about a glass plate that I got too hot. Huge bang and only small fragments, but they reached all four corners of the room!

This reminds me of Rupert's drops or balls. link

We have also had experiences with glass breaking, the current house we live in has strange events going on all the time, one of the most puzzling is that we keep having glass, bowls and glasses alike exploding, on recent occaisions not only have the items exploded but the glass itself has remained in a neat pile rather than being spread all over as you would expect, most peculiar ;)

I also do not think it was a case of a crack in the glass. Imagine it sitting there with a crack in it, and deciding to break at that moment. It would have just fallen apart, not made a large explosion.
I cannot suggest what caused it, but I also deem it to be very strange.

And while we are on the subject of weird glass, let me share this with you, in the hopes something awful can be prevented.

A few months ago a friend was visiting. I had a glass Pyrex casserole dish standing on the stove ( which was off) because I intended to make lasagna in it later for dinner.
My friend turned a stove burner on to heat water for coffee. I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing but several minutes later there was a loud explosion and glass shot everywhere in the kitchen!
He had accidentally turned on the burner that the dish was on top of and it heated the underside of the glass dish until it exploded.
The dish was literally in a million pieces and hot glass burned holes in the floor. My son had been sitting at an "island" counter in the kitchen facing the stove at the time of the explosion but luckily was unhurt. He could have easily gotten a face full of glass.
Please don't let this happen to you. Never set glass dishes on the stove, even if it is turned off.

Thanks for the warning; we have some Pyrex and I would've assumed that it could hold up to being heated that way, but apparently not!

As to a crack in the glass, it is possible if it is microscopic, but maybe more likely is a tiny bubble in the glass. Sometimes this can cause weak spots. I’ve seen bubbles less than 1 millimeter in float glass (window glass) cause breaks when the glass is stressed even a tiny bit.
I’ve seen Pyrex break as well as other types of borosilicate glass under weird conditions. Very localized heating such as Redhead’s stove will cause it to break and the halogen lights breaking glass objects is certainly possible as well. Glass is a funny material and can often behave in ways that appear to defy logic! Unseen defects can be common in cheap glassware coming out of Mexico, China, and even Portugal, so be careful!
~A

glass

Boy, these stories are helping me relax.
Thanks all!

Even if it was "just the glass", tho , it was still creepy...just seems like there has to be some instigating force of Any kind, to trigger that.

I also had an experience long ago, where a glass object "dissapeared" over night, then was back there the next morning. It was the chimney of a kerosene lamp.
I dont think its far out to say that "Matter" does not always behave as solid as it looks, nor with the characteristics we Normally attribute to it
And our belief systems [minds] have a sometimes humourous way of showing us "impossible" things 8)

Interesting...at what time did you notice the glass gone and did you search for it? I only ask as I have a vague recollection of one of my father's hurrican lamps behaving in a similar manner - but I was very young at the time...thanks for making me remember :D (PS. I say this as my father has recently died - so thank you for the memory once more)

When glass is manufactured, as it solidifies, stress gets frozen into it. Windscreens shatter in a more harmless way because a specific stress is frozen into the surface so that they don't break into sharp bits. With more expensive glass items, the manufacturers are supposed to take the trouble to get the stress out. However, I once gave a friend an expensive, heavy candleholder in the shape of a flower with 3 petals. The candles looked lovely magnified through the petals. But one day, when she was out of the room, it broke into 3 parts, some of which flew quite a long way. A candleholder is supposed to get warm from the candles, but this one obviously not. She immediately wondered if something had happened to me, but nothing in particular had.

Glass is one of my favorite things, and I too love thick glasses. I have cracked many doing the warm wash/cool drink thing, or adding ice cubes.... but to shatter one into tiny bits? That's kinda spooky, hun. I even have some that are covered in bubbles, they just crack. This is interesting enough to ask a glass manufacturor! Do you have any pieces saved?

To Gemaki:

No I didnt save any pieces..Its been so theraputic and informative to hear all these other "glass" stories, that Ive even forgotton to mention this incident to local friends, / experts, and i must say, dont have time/ motivation, to seek further information/speculation than in this forum. :)

To Gadaffi Duck:

Re; the disapearing lantern top:

I set it on a carpeted floor, 8 by 8 ft, the back room of the 30 ft. travel trailor I was staying in, right in front of the litttle back door to that room.
It was night and there was no electricity. The floor/ room was empty. I was filling up the bottom with kerosene, which I always did indoors in that room. I took the filled part to the front room, then went to get the chimney. It was gone. I took a flashlight back there, felt around with my hands, and PACED the room so that my feet walked on every inch, in a FEW circles I went round, and you know, it wasnt hard to cover the space and conclude it wasnt there. Of course I looked every where else in that small trailor. It was winter so no action outside at that time...
I went to bed. In the morning, I walk back in there, and there it was, right where I left it :roll:

Now, the interesting part to me was this....At that time ['93], I was attending a school and we were in deep study of quantum physics and I had just read "The Holographic Universe", by Michael Talbo tI think, and the part in the book where he describes the woman and child running playfully around this bush that would "dissapear and reappear"...intrigued me, the fact that.................
."Things can Dissapear"..................
.I pondered this idea constantly in those days, as I wanted to experience the "non 3d" aspect of my body and the objects around me...
When I was in the midst of looking for this chimney, I was more annoyed than anything else,
and when it was there in the morning, it
suddenly
made perfect sense to me, that
I would experience this THIN, TRANSPARENT, LIGHT WEIGHT PIECE OF GLASS, to be the thing to "dissapear", because its one of the closest objects to ALREADY seeming "invisible"...if you get my drift.
My mind could "accept" that "demonstration", of that reality which my passion was so calling for to experience witnessing, and with out too much of a shock factor. As opposed to a solid heavy wooden chair dissapearing or something like that....

I hope that makes sense ;)

As far as the "doubt" factor, since I had no witnesses and no "proof" to uphold, and since I felt with my hads, and my feet, that small floor space.....I have no doubt it happened.......
but what still impressed upon me and makes me wonder, is...
It felt like the glass itself had a consciusness that could will itself to dissapear!!!!!!! Even with a sense of humour!
OR, did I create all that, subconsciously, like "OK, I'll let that glass dissapear, because I'll be able to accept it's possible....etc..."

So, back to the breaking glass, and the appearance that the sound frequency, or just plain, MANY FACTORED reasons, that it exploded....was my ATTENTION on the ISSUE itself {HAARP and other tecknologies that cause effects....] then RESPONDING to me by my will almost, breaking the glass, precisely at that time?
I note the timing and the radio program and all else as I have a habbit of catching syncronicities...even when GLASS breaks,, from more Concrete reasons, I pay attention, to when, and what thoughts/emotions/etc were happening around that to possible generate the event, which I must say ALWAYS seems to draw a bit of a shock/attention to the observer.

This musing is me percieving how I "create my reality"....if you will...

I KNOW this is nitpicky stuff here....I mean, a glass breaks/oh well....
.....but you know.....a soldier on the battle field gets killed...oh well...thats the way it goes
meaning, its all relative to the experiencer.

8) Thanks for being there......

Sorry, late entry but something very similar happened to me. Last August, my father, who was very ill, was lying in bed in my spare bedroom at around 10pm one evening, and I was sitting in a chair next to him. We were just having one of those chats about Life, the Universe and Everything when I reminded him to drink his Lucozade. I watched as he stretched his arm out to the bedside table to the glass (which had been sitting there all evening and had definitely lost it's fizz) and just before he touched it, it exploded. Lucozade went all over the bedside table, covered some books he had been reading, and the top of the glass fell to the floor. Of course we were both quite shocked as we were both looking directly at the glass when it went! When I picked it up, it was in two halves that fitted together very neatly, and there were no fragments. The break was about two inches from the bottom of the glass, which was very thick. No, it hadn't been sitting next to a lamp, radio or any extremes of temperature or noise and had probably been sitting untouched for around 2/3 hours.
No explanations, just one of those weird occurences I suppose.

I have a friend who was going through some rough times a couple of years ago..

She claims that she somehow "exploded" several glasses and two glass lamp shades/bases, simply by reaching out to touch them, not intentionally, it just happened... I have never known her to lie, nor have I ever heard her talk about subjects like these before. I would tend to believe her, but of course have no proof... However the experiences related on this thread make me even more inclined to believe her... Especially yours, Derrick.

This happened a few years ago, we had one of those glass jugs that look like a pyrex one, doubt it was tho, i had used it in the microwave, it was washed in the sink, put on a flat tray ready to place in the dishwasher, it had been sitting there approx, 15-20 mins,(it never went in the dishwasher) when all of a sudden it exploded, glass everywhere within a few feet, the glass itself was like when you shatter a windscreen, like little square pieces

Wont use any glass things to cook with now, scared the bejesus outta me it did

When I was living at home, in my early teens, I was sat with my parents and my visiting grandparents watching the TV. There was a sudden loud 'BANG!' which made us all jump. Then the sliding glass door to the conservatory started to shatter on it's own accord. We all sat and watched as the web of fine cracks slowly spread in the safety glass. It was freaky.

When I was living at home, in my early teens, I was sat with my parents and my visiting grandparents watching the TV. There was a sudden loud 'BANG!' which made us all jump. Then the sliding glass door to the conservatory started to shatter on it's own accord. We all sat and watched as the web of fine cracks slowly spread in the safety glass. It was freaky.
That happened to us about 20 years back, no bang, just a 'crack' noise. Bloody odd.

Back