• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery helicopter over London 23/9/10 btwn 0000 & 0100h

liveinabin1 said:
I was once told that at night the helicopter will shine the search lights a street away from where the person they're tracking is. This will make him think the police don't know where he is but they are actually watching him on infra red.

Anyone else heard this?

Yes, I have heard this and know that that this tactic is often used with US Border Patrol along the border with Mexico. When illegal aliens (of the Mexican varity) are spotted, sometimes a helicopter is called in to assist agents on the ground- whether on foot, SUVs or horseback. The helicopter will spot the aliens and and send down an infared laser beam, pinpointing the aliens, while shining a spotlight elsewhere as if they are still being looked for. All the agents on the ground have to do is look through their night vision equipment to spot the infared beam and make their way stealthily to the aliens. Very sneaky and it works great. :lol:

A couple of years ago a mate of mine was having a fag in his back garden when the police helicopter came overhead and shone its spotlight on him. A voice boomed out of the loudhialer "sorry", so he waved back.

Back