• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Name Games

lockers

Junior Acolyte
First post for a looong time, anyway, here's a strange tale from Summer 2002. I'm meeting the people mentioned for lunch shortly, and as I'm here, I thought I would let you know my story.

I was round a couples house who I was getting to know with my friend Jane. Jane has known Guy and Hayley for some time. As happens on warm, sunny, summer afternoons an impromtu BBQ was arranged, just the 4 of us (although at 1 point another person dropped in for a couple of beers and to say hello).

Now, I've met Guy and Hayley several times but I would not say that I know them well, but nice people, was (and still am) happy to spend time with them.

After a few beers and with full bellies, we were chatting away when I realised I had forgotten Guys name. No big drama, but a bit irritating. This bugged me a bit but started to get a bit more annoying as, in conversation, you want to use people's names, don't you? After about 20 minutes of this, I suddenly had a name pop into my head - the name was Giles. I looked at Guy and thought... that's not your name, so I ignored it. However the name sort-of kept popping back into my head. Strange feeling, it sort of 'felt' like a gentle knocking at a door, except the knock was this name gently needling me. At one point I thought about the name and looked at Guy. And even though I knew I it wasn't his name, the following thought popped into my head: "I know it's not your name, but you ARE Giles". I was very concious of this thought, which, again, needled me a bit.

Anyway, after another 10 minutes of feeling needled by these thoughts, at a lull in the conversation I wanted to say what I was thinking, so I said quite clearly "I know this sounds a bit odd, but I've got a name in my head that's really niggling me, so I'm just going to say it. It's Giles".

Guy and Hayley looked at me, whilst Jane said "Oh...?". Guy then said - a bit surprised "Ah, that would be my brothers name". Jane who knows me well then said "Oh, bugger this, I'm going inside", got up off her chair and went into the house. Hayley sat there with her mouth sort of half open as Guy then told me the following (which was news to me): When Guys mum and dad got together, they decided that they would have 2 children only. They had Guys older sister, and then they had a son (you know what's coming, right...?). This baby boy they named Giles, but sadly, on the day that he was born, he died. After that they then conceived again, and Guy was born.

I was spooked, Hayley was gob-smacked: ("bloody hell, how did you know that...etc"), whilst Guy was quite cooly talking about it.

Now, Guy doesn't apparently talk about this often at all, although he had told Jane about it, however Jane I am sure (and we've talked about this since the event) has never told me.

It could just be a coincidence - in fact my rationality tells me it is. However the way the name niggled me and the clear thought that "I know this isn't your name, but you ARE Giles" make it stand out a bit.

I would say, this has heppened, but in a much less striking way, a couple of times before - once only the weekend before the event described here. As I said just above, my rational side says coincidence, but it's bugged me since. It certainly bugged Jane - she said "I wish you wouldn't do these things" and I didn't sleep very well that night.

That is as it happened - nothing added and nothing taken away from what happened. Any views?

I always forget names and so constantly introduce everyone to everyone else as 'Ted'.Like oh Ted have you met ted,that's teds wife ted over there...One day i was talking to a fellow in a pub when my pals came in so introduced the guy to them as ted and told him they were called ted.It turned out he was called ted.Not such a surprise seeing as how after a few months a ted is bound to turn up..I haven't met one since though and in fact he was the only one I ever encountered but,ya know your story is much more unusual

<<<the following thought popped into my head: "I know it's not your name, but you ARE Giles". >>>

So this was actually Giles in Guy's body trying to talk to you? Whoa, this IS spooky... I think you should try doing some serious mind-reading experimenting ... sorry, what did you say your name was? Just kidding, lockers. :D

If no other subconcious memories are present....then "Guy" *Phonics*=Guwyie..... and "Giles", *Phonics*= Juilez....are very very similar.
(Guy's... (Giles) Bah...What I mean, is Guy and Gi/les ryhme, so could be construed as easily brought forth, ans the Gile sthing is just an episode of coincidence. Would his name have been "Terrence, and the boy being "Bartholomew", then it would have been more substantial. (To others). *nb: I am very very very drunk! *03.14) :D Terry , Trev..... I', Trev'. I'm often mistaken (At best) as Terry!!!!

Just a thought.

Get thissen sorted art luv; therz note ter wurri abart unless thi neyberz er beeyin arseoyles!. (As tha sez in Yorksher!)

Si thi xx

PS...The time stamp on here is bollocks! It's 03.17 as I type!
Check the post time!

Milk: yeah, I get your point – coincidences are bound to happen from time to time. However I’ve had 3 events happen like this, within the space of 6 months or so, where a name needles me, really irritates me and I feel I have to say it – it then turns out to be a (very) significant person in their lives. I’ve also not had it happen where I’ve been niggled by a name, I’ve said it and it’s been wrong – only 3 times has it happened and 3 times it’s been right.

Gloria X: we were a bit spooked by it – indeed I was asked at lunch by the other 3 who were there if I’d had anything spooky happen recently – which I haven’t, not for almost 2 years now. Never thought that it could be Giles talking to me through Guy (I’m not into, or particularly believe in spiritualism etc…), however I see how it could be viewed like that. This incident, along with some others prompted me to go and see a psychic / medium / whatever, as my rational side says: “Even though I don’t believe in ‘spooky’ things (i.e. I believe there are ‘convential’ explanations for them), it’s still rational to think that there could be something else unknown to account for it, so it doesn’t hurt to go along and find out”. Jane, Hayley and myself, at Hayleys suggestion, went to see this medium. Hayley arranged it (I’ve asked her, and she had not said anything to ‘Samanda’ about things that had happened), Jane didn’t have anything to do with setting it up. So we go along, Samanda says “Right, who’s first?”, the ladies look at me, so I stay in the kitchen as they wait in the sitting room. Samanda closed the door, turned around, looked right at me and said quite directly “You’ve got it, and that’s why you’re here… you want to find out more about this”, by “You’ve got it…” meaning she believes I’ve got some sort of psychic thing going on. As I say, I don’t believe in this, however I suspect mediums don’t say this straight away to new people they meet. I have to say however, that the rest of the session was wrong, wrong, wrong… which turns me away again from ‘believing’ in this sort of thing.

Spillage: sounds like you had a good night on the sauce… I hear you loud and clear on the association between the names, people have also pointed out that they are of a similar ‘class’ of name, if you know what I mean (i.e not like Tarquin / Bert; Guy and Giles are similar sorts of names). Which could explain it, however I was very conscious of the thought that “It’s not your name, but you ARE Giles”…

The obvious response to this story is that the first little boy who sadly died must have reincarnated as Guy (well why not?) and that you ,lockers, are a wee bit psychic. And if you are, then it`s up to you whether you want to develop the gift in whatever way you consider safe.

I wish you Good Luck!

MsT

What where the other two sets of names?

I have a way of 'renaming' people, it just sometimes feels like someones rightful name is not the one they where christened with! A good example is a guy i knew called Matt who I was sure was really called Will! Matt was just not his name! (To me anyway). It was quite embarrassing. not the only time its happened. Often for me the first letter causes me probs, similar to your situation. Sometimes the first sounds of the names are phonetically similar (as in Matt and Will). that why i would like to know the names for the two other situations you experienced.

Well Ilkit, the previous 2 'events' didn’t have sets of names as such.

The one prior to the event described above happened only the weekend before:

I was with another couple of friends (different to those above), one called Bird (nickname!), the other Louise (who I know only a little through Bird – had a few beers together etc). We were talking about ‘spooky’ events, and I told Louise about some bits-and-bobs that have happened to me (which wouldn’t really fit in this thread), including this name popping into my head thing – which first happened to me about 6 months before this one I’m now describing (keeping up?!). As we had been talking generally about this, I had a couple of names pop into my head. I wasn’t ‘trying’ to think anything up for Louise or Bird, in fact the names popped into my head before I mentioned the original name event of 6 months before (which I’ll describe below). Again, the names were there, gently irritating me and I was thinking “Where are these names coming from?”. There were 2 names, however one of them ‘felt’ stronger than the other - is the only way I can describe it. For some reason now, I can’t remember the names, however the weak one was something like Ethel, and the strong one was something like Arnold, names a bit like that. A bit later in the conversation, Louise said to me “Have you got any names in your head now, then?”. I had these names there, but I felt a bit of a monkey saying that I did: I was a bit reluctant to say so. I responded with “Well, as it happens, I have. But this is a bit silly, I can’t get it right again…”. However Louise kept on egging me on: “Go, on, see if you’re right”… So, I (again reluctantly) said “OK then, I’m sure this won’t mean anything to you,” (cos I really didn’t expect to get a ‘hit’), “but I’ve got the name Ethel” (the ‘weak’ name). “Bloody Hell, that’s my Nan’s name” said Louise – and she was as surprised as me that I got that name. We talked around that a bit – you know – “Have I told you that before?”, “No, I don’t think you have”, “Is it possible I have and we’ve both forgotten?”, “Well, yes it is, but I can’t think when / why we would have talked about it…” – plausible explanations being sought after. A short while later Louise reminded me that I had another name. Again I was genuinely uncomfortable about this, and really thought that I couldn’t have another hit again. But she kept asking so I eventually said “OK, the other name is Arnold”. Louise looked at me and said very strongly, “F*** Off”, then asked how I got that name and told me that that was the name of an uncle or great-uncle, that she was really close to (both these people were dead) – really, really close to – she used to talk to him about all sorts of troubles, stuff like that, and really missed him.

A bit odd again.

The previous (and first) naming incident happened in December the previous year. Bumped in to some people from Sixth Form that I hadn’t seen for about 6 years – Liam and Christine, had some drinks (I can see there is a pattern here with drink involved!), went back to theirs with my mate Ian for some after-hours drinks. Had a nice time catching up, and Liam showed us some really excellent magic tricks with cards – David Blaine type stuff. About 2 in the morning, Ian and I get up to leave “Great magic tricks,” I say to Liam as we are being showed out of the door by Christine. “I can do magic too, you know” – genuinely joking. Liam was starting to walk up the stairs near the front door as Christine was showing us out, and he said “Oh, yeah, what?”. I then turned to him and, for some reason said “Yes, who’s Betty?” Liam stopped on the stairs as Christine said “Well, that was Liam’s Gran’s name”. So I said (literally making it up on the spot) “Yes, little lady, grey hair tied back in a bun” Christine said “Er, yes, she did…” with Liam starting to come back down the stairs. I waltzed out of the door as they were both saying “No… come back….” But I said (in my inebriated state) “Sorry, got to go, bit late…”. A bit further down the road I said to Ian “Were they pulling my leg?” (cos as far as I was concerned I was pulling theirs) and Ian said “No, you should have seen Christine’s face when you said that”.

A bit odd again. Betty is an old ladies name, and the archetypal old lady has grey hair pulled back into a bun (but how many do you actually see like that?) but… this was the first time this sort of thing happened.

But still my rational mind says “There’s a ‘normal’ explanation…

Lockers....do you think you can do get these names to pop in over a long distance?

Or do you have to be in the person's presence to pick up the name vibes?

(Let me know if you get a name that relates to me :)

Fascinating stuff!

-Sudi

Sudi, I've only ever done it when I've been (a) near the person and (b) pissed. So this means that 'Yehudi' popping into my head as I read your mail won't mean anything to you?!!! Only joking though.

Every time somebodies said to me "Have you got any names in your head?" when I haven't had one, and then I make one up, it's wrong!

Very selective, this thing...

Similar thing happened to me last weekend. There were a few of us out, including my cousin, her friend (who I'd never met) and her friends brother (who I and my cousin had never met before). When I caught up with everybody, having started the night out later than them, I was introduced to the people I didn't know, first to my cousins friend, and then the friends brother. I swear my cousin introduced the brother as Lee, I called him Lee all night, until towards the end of the night he politely said 'I'm Wayne, our Lee didn't want to come with us tonight'. Lee was his older brother who stayed at home that night.

Lockers says:

Sudi, I've only ever done it when I've been (a) near the person and (b) pissed. So this means that 'Yehudi' popping into my head as I read your mail won't mean anything to you?!!! Only joking though.

Every time somebodies said to me "Have you got any names in your head?" when I haven't had one, and then I make one up, it's wrong!

Very selective, this thing...

---------------------------------------

Weeelllllllllll....I do have DVD of Yehudi Menuhin that I have been meaning to watch, but have been kinda using it as a reward after I get my schoolwork done.

(I know, I know...dull existence....but what the hay.)

Thanks for the reply. It's actually not totally out the ballpark. I have been meaning watch the DVD each night this week.

-Sudi

Not a persons name but a place name.... since i was in my early 20's and living in Dudley the word Christchurch would pop into my head at odd moments. I know there is a christchurch in Dorset but here i am now living and working in Christchurch, NZ.

Back