• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nan Madol: 'Lost City' In The Pacific?

A

Anonymous

Has anyone else heard of this?

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf045/sf045p01.htm

"Nan Madol has never been "lost" as the title of this item implies, but this fantastic complex of 92 artificial islets sees few tourists. Located on Pohnpei (formerly spelled "Ponape") in Micronesia, Nan Madol lacks the well-publicized glamour of the Pyramids and Chichen Itza. If Nan Madol is not glamourous, it is certainly incongruous. Who would expect such huge stone structures to rise in the middle of nowhere?"

Last edited by a moderator:
i think Nan Madol is discussed in depth in von Daniken's "gold of the gods". How much you can actually trust is for you to decide.

I know it was over a year ago I posted this (i didn't know threads lasted over a year here!), but i will just bump it again, in case anyone else knows anything, as I saw Nan Madol mentioned in a thread on "little people" at cryptozoology.com, and vaguely remembered having posted a thread here once...

I first got interested in this place because it sort of reminded me of H.P. Lovecraft's "Dagon"...

Check out Ancient Micronesia & The Lost City Of Nan Madol by
David Hatcher Childress.Fascinating book as are all his "Lost cities of ---- " series.

A full episode of 'Ancient Aliens' is devoted to Nan Madol, and very interesting it is too. It's bound to be repeated on the Freeview 'Blaze' channel at some point, so if you're ale to watch it, then I would recommend that you do so. Although it has Mr Childress and the bloke with the mad hair presenting it, I got the impression that the ancient aliens aspect was scaled back a bit. It does seem fairly likely that the site was constructed at a time when sea levels were lower than they are now, a point that even Mr Mad Hair appeared to concede.

A full episode of 'Ancient Aliens' is devoted to Nan Madol, and very interesting it is too. It's bound to be repeated on the Freeview 'Blaze' channel at some point, so if you're ale to watch it, then I would recommend that you do so. Although it has Mr Childress and the bloke with the mad hair presenting it, I got the impression that the ancient aliens aspect was scaled back a bit. It does seem fairly likely that the site was constructed at a time when sea levels were lower than they are now, a point that even Mr Mad Hair appeared to concede.
I'd recorded it from Blaze the other night and I've just watched it. I'd not actually heard of it before so found it interesting. You're right the Ancient Alien aspect wasn't quite as full on as usual but Mr. Mad Hair was of course still getting enthusiastic, bless him, in spite of having to concede a point (well sort of ish :) ).

In the spirit of 'what if', and 'just maybe' ... I as usual have popped onto the board for more enlightenment.

Sollywos x

I'd recorded it from Blaze the other night and I've just watched it. I'd not actually heard of it before so found it interesting. You're right the Ancient Alien aspect wasn't quite as full on as usual but Mr. Mad Hair was of course still getting enthusiastic, bless him, in spite of having to concede a point (well sort of ish :) ).

In the spirit of 'what if', and 'just maybe' ... I as usual have popped onto the board for more enlightenment.

Sollywos x

There was plenty of stuff in it to wonder about. The amount of manpower needed to build the damn thing for a start. And if you have the manpower, then you have to house and feed them. Try as I might, I cannot come up with any solution other than the city being built at a time before the meltdown at the end of the last ice age.
I've read a few of Graham Hancocks books on this subject, and can't help but wonder if Nan Madol ties into the idea of the lost sub-continent of Sundaland, which seems to have taken in most of the islands around the Indonesian archipelago.
As you say, 'what if' and 'just maybe'.....fascinating stuff which deserves investigation. :)

Back