• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nanotechnology-Enhanced Military Armor and Uniforms

A

Anonymous

Uniform that makes soldiers invisible in the works

....The Army is hunting for a new military uniform that can make soldiers nearly invisible, grant superhuman strength and provide instant medical care. ...

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is up for the task.

The school said Wednesday it has been awarded a five-year, $50 million dollar grant to develop the armor, which could detect threats and protect against projectiles and biological or chemical weapons.

"We're not there yet, but it's not science fiction," said Ned Thomas, director of the MIT-affiliated Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies.

All this would be achieved by developing particle-sized materials and devices — called "nanotechnology" — nestled into the uniform's fabric.

Supercharged shoes could release energy when soldiers jump, propelling them over a 20-foot wall. Micoreactors could detect bleeding and apply pressure. Light-deflecting material could make the suit blend in with surroundings.

MIT's research centers had been working on nanotechnology ideas long before getting involved with the Army, but not with military applications in mind. But the groundwork has been laid for revolutionary advances, Thomas said.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/03/14/army-uniform.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read it I just found it sad that a place like MIT will get involved in warfare.

Hiram Maxim, was advised by a friend that: "If you wan't to make a pile, invent somthing that will enable those Europeans to cut each others throats with greater facility".

It's a sad thing but a fantastic amount of ingenuity has been spent inventing somthing to kill ones fellow man & then often to get artists to decorate it for you.... Look at the engraving on the lock plate of an 18th Century pistol!!!!!:(

Artists were employed WW1 for dazel camo on ships ... they realy do look like a Cubist canvas!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so...anime , don't you think? We do so enjoy our little wargames, don't we?

Funny, I could see the artist's impression of the soldier quite clearly... or is this one of those ghost pics which suddenly changes and scares you silly? (Hope not - silly enough, thanks!).

Seriously, though, what would be the point? Even if the soldiers weren't visible to the naked eye, they would still be visible on infra-red wavelengths (the heat would give them away). Or am I just being thick?

This reminds me of an Iain M Banks story - a man is walking towards a city having been seriously wounded in a battle. The only thing keeping him alive is his armour. Cut to the end... the armour is alive and well (but mad), carrying the dead husk of the man inside it.

:eek!!!!:

Jane.

It's bad enough fighting in webbing...an armoured power ranger suit doesn't look like much fun...

Back