• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Naughty Nuns

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Children forced to sleep with dead nun?

I found this lurid little gem nestling on a site devoted to crimes
of the clergy. It appears to date from September last year.
Somehow the lack of detail on the withdrawn charge of "forcing
children to sleep with dead nun" makes it even more chilling.

http://www.thelinkup.com/crimes00i2.html#uk

ABERDEEN, Scotland - A nun who was convicted of cruelty charges against children is to go on a three-month holiday to the US for a period of "rest and recovery".
Marie Docherty, 58, also known as Sr. Alphonso, was found guilty of 4 charges of cruel behavior towards girls in her care at two children's homes in Midlothian and Aberdeen during the 1960s and 1970s. Her conviction left the Church facing a flood of claims for damages running into millions of pounds.
But she escaped jail after Sheriff Colin Harris decided at Aberdeen Sheriff Court that because of the nun's age and heart condition a custodial sentence was not appropriate. Docherty originally faced 23 charges but was found guilty of only 4 at the end of her six-week trial. She was earlier acquitted on the other charges she originally faced on the direction of Harris. They included allegations of forcing children to sleep with the body of dead nun, imprisoning a girl in a cupboard and forcing an epileptic into a cold bath during a fit.
It was confirmed by the Roman Catholic Church that Docherty will continue to work for her order, the Sisters of Nazareth. However, a spokesman said it was "very doubtful" that she would continue in her current role of looking after elderly people. He added that she was a "multi-talented nun" and alternative work would be found for her.

One of my relatives spent a few years in an RC kids home after the war. The stories are Dickensian to say the least.

I also know of a child molester who was refused admission to the clergy for the obvious reason. He was considered to be too poor.

I'm all for the bishops, kings and entrails thing.

Sleeping with a dead nun? How bizarre.

It almost makes all the priests/altered (spelling intentional) boys stuff we hear about here in the States seem normal and wholesome.

Does it get reported abroad, just how many instances there have been recently of priests getting it on with the altar boys and school kids? And the disgusting length The Church has gone to abrogate the kids' claims?

Makes the Clinton stuff look like twaddle.

By the look of the site I pinched the story from, each
nation tends to report its own wicked priest tales.

It takes the Internet to bring it together.

These days people are inclined to say they knew nothing of the
cruelty that went on in schools run by religious orders. It is
nonsense, of course. I clearly recall the glee with which adults
would tell me of the fate that awaited me at a Christian Brothers
School. I refer mainly to the violence. It was widely regarded as
character building and people relished the idea of the strap.

I got off fairly lightly but a tale of gross sexual abuse at the same school
has been printed in the Guardian and can be found on the net. A recent
radio programme stated that there were less than twenty Christian Brothers
left in England. The order still recruits in Africa.

So I do keep an eye on these accounts of evil clergy. There are
names I still expect to see. :rolleyes:

'Children forced to sleep with dead nun' Its got everything hasn't it; death, religion, kids, even a hint of paedophilia! Gotta be in the top ten headlines!

massive amount of abuse stories coming to light in Ireland.it seems every single institution,59 in all,run by the so - called religious had a regime of sexual and physical abuse which is actually beyond all belief and is perhaps the greatest stain on Ireland ever ,either before or subsequent to independence in 1921.It appears that the State looked the other way and gave free rein to out of control perverts who have destroyed countless lives,the majority being male.Some were beaten to death and buried quietly and anonymously;to this day survivors are dealing with depression,alcoholism and suicide at a degree way above the norm.Many abusers are still being sheltered in private nursing homes and they are provided with top lawyers to help them in every way possible.The standard answer is denial followed by " the church has done so many good things".A number of them have been imprisoned for short sentences.No compensation has ever been paid and perhaps the most sickening thing is the amount of older religious fanatics who have never lifted a finger to help anyone who wont accept that all this happened!!The spin doctors have conspired to try and push this issue to the bottom of the nations psyche.I can only conclude that if there is a God he will deal with all those hypocritical,perverted butchers who may escape justice in this life.

I'm afraid it is much worse than that.

I'm not averse to kicking a few old nuns and priests but
they were just doing entirely what was expected of them.

No wonder it has never has been tackled.

Today's comments by Cardinal Murphy O'Connor are yet another pathetic excuse by the Catholic Church.
"We must recognise the depth and the extent of the damage done to the Church and its mission in these cases," he said.
Why is he worrying about the damage done the church! Why not comment on the damamge done to the victims?

Why is he worrying about the damage done the church! Why not comment on the damamge done to the victims?

Hypocracy can't be ruled out...

8¬<

I'm not Catholic. But it seems people like picking on Catholic priest. I wonder how many kids are molested every year and how many come from the church. In my opinion pedophiles are attracting to thing with children.

-Jason

Well, Jason, I'm not a catholic either but it does seem to moi that a priest shoving his hand down a boy's knickers in hopes of finding a stiff one should expect a little flack, no matter what those wierdos a level or two up the food chain in the tight black skirts do to protect him.

Then again, I'm old fashioned...and pagan...and think that people sworn to chastity should keep their hands to themselves...and certainly off les pendules des garcons...

Oh yeah I totally agree with you. Those people should be burned as witches because they are the true evil in the world. Those men are sick.

I bet a lot more kids are being molested in day care than chuch. I just think people like to give the faith a hard time. I never went to Catholic church but I did go to my grandfathers church my whole life and it was perv-free. That priest who did that is not the norm for priest I bet. That priest deserves many bad things. I think its a shame that so many people devote their lives to a good thing and one (or a few) bad seeds give them a bad name.

But I belive the pedos will be where the kids are.

I'm a christian by the way.

-Jason

AttackADaClones said:
Oh yeah I totally agree with you. Those people should be burned as witches because they are the true evil in the world.
I bet a lot more kids are being molested in day care than chuch.
Why should witches be burned?
And what evidence is there for mass paedophilia in day care?

Annasdottir.......& anyone else.....

As an ex-community nurse I came across at least one case of sexual abuse in RESIDENTAL CARE (not day care) & had anecdotal evidence of other cases, (sexual & physical).

The cases were suppressed.

It would cost too much in compensation to the Social Services & NHS, far better to let the abused fight to prove their cases!!!

David said:
Annasdottir.......& anyone else.....

As an ex-community nurse I came across at least one case of sexual abuse in RESIDENTAL CARE (not day care) & had anecdotal evidence of other cases, (sexual & physical).

The cases were suppressed.

It would cost too much in compensation to the Social Services & NHS, far better to let the abused fight to prove their cases!!!

The term "day care" is being used here in its US meaning, ie. children's nurseries. Yes, I've no doubt that sexual abuse does take place in homes for the elderly and learning disabled, simply because of the low quality of the staff generally - cheaply-paid and unqualified. As many of these homes are privately-run, I doubt that the NHS etc. would be responsible for paying compensation.
As for abuse in UK nurseries, there has been none, with the exception of one that echoed the US McMartin case, in Newcastle a few years ago. The two alleged abusers were never convicted (I don't think they were even charged), but police made it known that they thought they were guilty (releasing their names to the newpapers), even though there was no evidence that any child had been abused and the allegations rested on the words of very young children. The parents of many of the "abused" children collected thousands of pounds each in criminal injuries compensation.
The criteria of evidence accepted by the Criminal Injuries Compensation boards are far lower than in court cases, hence it is not difficult for abuse "survivors" to claim damages, even when there is no corroborative evidence; they simply have to show that they are suffering psychological trauma that could have been caused by sexual abuse. Hence the great rash of childrens homes abuse cases in the last decade.
(This is not to deny that there has been genuine abuse in childrens' homes - what I pity I have to add this caveat)

Nuns on the run

Nuns have instirnsic comedy value anyway and then they go and do stuff like:

Nun Faces Jail for Drunk Tractor Driving

1 hour, 34 minutes ago

WARSAW (Reuters) - A Polish Benedictine nun is facing jail for driving a tractor into a car while drunk outside her convent in southwestern Poland, police said on Friday.

The 45-year-old nun will be charged with drunk-driving and causing an accident, which carries a prison sentence of up to two years, Dariusz Waluch, police spokesman in the southwestern Polish town of Dzierzoniow, told local news agency PAP.

He said the nun was 17 times over the country's legal alcohol limit for driving.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20040312/od_nm/poland_nun_dc

17 times over the limit!!!

Emps

Naughty Nuns?

This sounds like one of those 70's exploitation films brought to reality... :eek!!!!:

Suit Claims Abuse by Nuns at Mass. School
By MARTIN FINUCANE, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - Nine former students of the Boston School for the Deaf filed a lawsuit Tuesday alleging they were raped and beaten by nuns at the now-defunct school. The plaintiffs accused at least 13 nuns in the lawsuit, along with a priest and a male athletic instructor at the school and a former top official in the Boston Roman Catholic Archdiocese, according to their attorney, Mitchell Garabedian.

The alleged victims, three women and six men, were between the ages of 7 and 16 when, they claim, they were sexually and physically abused between 1944 and 1977. The Boston School for the Deaf, in Randolph, was run by an independent, nonprofit corporation until it closed more than a decade ago. "They are all speech-impaired and hearing-impaired," said Garabedian, who represents a total of 31 former students at the school and expects to file more lawsuits. "Instead of receiving an education they received beatings and sexually abusive actions."

Garabedian said the abuse included fondling, rape, and rape with foreign objects. At least one student's head was submerged, face-first in a toilet until she passed out; others were locked in closets for hours as a form of punishment. The alleged victims are now 41 to 67 years old. "The physical abuse is extremely disturbing," said Garabedian, who has represented hundreds of people who filed lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by priests.

The nuns named in the lawsuit are from the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston. The case is the first to allege widespread abuse by nuns in the Boston area since the clergy sex abuse scandal began in Boston in early 2002.

The 100-page complaint filed in Suffolk Superior Court cited 13 nuns by name and said other plaintiffs, including at least one other nun, were unidentified. Some of the plaintiffs were accused of participating in the abuse; others, like Bishop Thomas V. Daily, who held several top posts in the Boston Archdiocese, were named for alleged negligence in failing to supervise the others.

William Shaevel, an attorney for the school, said he had not yet seen the lawsuit or received details of the allegations. "We've asked for but have not received any of the specifics, so we have not been able to conduct our own investigation," he said. "Our guiding principle here will be to conduct our investigation and deal with this with sensitivity, respect and dignity."

The Rev. Christopher Coyne, spokesman for the Boston Archdiocese, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Boston was the epicenter of the clergy sex abuse scandal in the Catholic Church. Cardinal Bernard Law resigned in December 2002 amid criticism of his handling of the crisis, and the archdiocese reached an $85 million settlement last year with more than 550 people who said they were abused by priests.

Story

An idle thought, and one by no means meant to sleight victims of abuse but i often wonder how much actual 'sexual abuse' (an ever broadening envelope judging by what some try to stuff into it) is going on in the world and how much of it, like satanic ritual abuse, is mere hearsay, malicious accusation, suggetson (hypnostic/regressive or otherwise), or just plain lies. I say this purely from the (fortunate) position of not knowing personally a single such victim. Of course, the very nature of the crime means that often it is covered-up kept quite or not dicussed but am i really that unusual in being untouched by this (seeming) plague of abuse? We must hear thousands of stories of such crimes each year, and they are merely those reported, but is the reason that so many go unprosecuted a lack of solid evidence or the actual innocence of the accused?

Just asking? :)

These actions are alleged to have occurred from 27 to 60 years ago.

How long has the catholic church been under fire for sex abuse? Any one else wonder why no one made these claims 5 or 10 years ago?

I read posts here where people do not have clear recollection of what happened to them in the 70s/80s. Will there be any lack of recollection from 6 decades ago?

Perhaps they didn't say anything before now because they thought (or knew) that no-one would believe them, or that no-one would do anything about it if they did.

Rube said: I read posts here where people do not have clear

The kind of experience these people say they had would not be easy to forget though. The world we live in now is more willing to believe that such things can occur - which does allow some people to exploit the situation of course. I imagine that 60 years ago you would have been vilified if you'd suggested a Catholic nun or priest had abused you.

Millomite: "I imagine that 60 years ago you would have been vilified if you'd suggested a Catholic nun or priest had abused you."

I can't speak for sixty years ago but thirty years ago the truth is somewhat
more disconcerting. I can clearly recall the relish with which adults informed me,
a somewhat sickly asthmatic boy of ten or eleven, that the Christian Brothers would
soon be "sorting me out". I think they had violence rather than sex in mind.

And violence is what I recollect. It was expected and condoned. These orders existed
to serve that public need.

I do feel sorry for the genuinely kind and gentle souls who have lived to see their
beliefs dragged through the mud. But there were way too many muddy souls in those
industries and outside of them, else how could they have carried on? :(

The Yithian said:
An idle thought, and one by no means meant to sleight victims of abuse but i often wonder how much actual 'sexual abuse' (an ever broadening envelope judging by what some try to stuff into it) is going on in the world and how much of it, like satanic ritual abuse, is mere hearsay, malicious accusation, suggetson (hypnostic/regressive or otherwise), or just plain lies... am i really that unusual in being untouched by this (seeming) plague of abuse?

Nah, you're not alone. Honestly, if you wanted to lie about something, sexual abuse would be your best bet. You can report it happening several years ago (so there's no evidence left), people will rarely EVER question the victim of that sort of thing, and it makes the person you're accusing look terrible for the rest of their lives. I know some guy (FOAF... curses.) who spent a year or two in jail over that, and he honestly didn't do anything. After that, I had to wonder how many of these abuse claims were just made up... Sad.

Plus, we also seem to be broadening the category what qualifies as "rape", which means that many people who claim to be "rape victims" really aren't. My sincerest apologies to anyone who has gone through such an awful thing, I mean no harm to you. I just find it rather depressing that people could (and probably are) abusing such a thing for pity.

..On a less serious (and more perverse) note, I can think of some people who would *enjoy* being beaten and raped by nuns. Of course, this sort of thing never happens to them. Isn't that always the way? :rolleyes:

Feuding nuns force convent demise
By Christian Fraser
BBC News, Rome

A convent in Italy is being shut down after a fight between its last three remaining nuns.
So badly did relations deteriorate between the sisters of Santa Clara in Bari that the Mother Superior ended up in hospital with scratches to her face.

Now the local archbishop has intervened and asked the Vatican for permission to close the convent.

But Sister Liliana, the only nun still there, says she has no intention of leaving her home of the past 44 years.

The Clarissa nuns are regarded as the most austere order of the Roman Catholic Church, devoted to a life of prayer, penance and quiet contemplation.

But at the Santa Clara convent in Bari, the vow of silence was shattered by an unholy row.

Sisters Annamaria and Gianbattista say they were driven to distraction by the nasty habits of their Mother Superior.

They became so angry that during the summer, they turned on Sister Liliana scratching her face and throwing her to the ground.

The two nuns have now moved into a nearby convent leaving Sister Liliana barricaded inside.

Despite the efforts of the Archbishop Giovanni Battista Pichierri to reconcile the three sisters he has been forced to call on the Vatican for help.

He wrote to the Holy See telling them the sisters had "clearly lost their religious vocation" and with only one nun remaining has asked for permission to close the convent down.

But Sister Liliana is not going without a fight.

She has not once left the nunnery in 44 years and she is not about to be pushed about now.

She has written to the Pope telling him she will only leave when God decides it is time to go.

And since she is devoted to her vow of silence it is not that easy to reason with her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7023245.stm

Well she is a bit naughty, annoying her neighbours.

Da Vinci Code protest 'nun' wants illuminated cross
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-18810053

Sister Mary Michael wants people to pray in her garden when the cross is erected

Related Stories

Meeting Sister Mary Michael
Da Vinci code nun 'not genuine'
Head-to-head: Da Vinci Code filming

A woman who protested against the Da Vinci Code wants to put a 7m-high illuminated cross in her back garden.

Sister Mary Michael said God wants her to have the "Cross of Love" at her home in North Hykeham, Lincolnshire.

Some neighbours have objected to a planning application for the cross, saying it will be an eyesore and add to light pollution.

Sister Mary attracted wide attention when she held a prayer vigil at the Da Vinci Code premiere in Cannes.

She also protested at Lincoln Cathedral when the Da Vinci Code was being filmed there.

The 68-year-old now wants people to come to her garden to pray.

"I believe in the power of prayer," she said.

"These crosses are built so that people are to come to them and you don't have to advertise it really.

The cross would be higher than Sister Mary's bungalow
"So basically they are really to bring people back to loving God and loving their neighbour."

'Maverick' nun
Sister Mary lived in a convent for three-and-a-half years and still considers herself a nun.

However after her campaign over the Da Vinci Code, the Catholic Church said she had no longer had an official connection with any order and was a "maverick".

Sister Mary said the cross, which would be exactly 7.38m-high, would be a scaled down replica of the Glorious Cross of Dozulé.

"Our Lord appeared to a lady called Madeleine Aumont in Normandy and said he would like a massive cross 738 metres high," she said.

The original cross was not put up but Sister Mary said other replicas had been installed around the world.

Sister Mary's planning application, number 666, has received objection and support.

Our Lord has specifically asked for it to be lit”

Sister Mary Michael

'Good for spiritual needs'
One objection, submitted on 10 July, said: "Religion is okay in the right context... but is this some kind of joke?"

One comment in support, submitted on 3 July, said: "It would not only be beneficial for the temporal outcome of the county but would also be quite good for the spiritual needs of humanity."

The consultation period closes on 21 July.

Another objection, submitted on 11 July, said: "An erection of this size will be visible from my property and as such could devalue or put off potential buyers."

Sister Mary said she did not want the cross to annoy her neighbours.

"I don't want that to happen to people but our Lord has specifically asked for it to be lit," she said.

"Today there's wonderful lighting that doesn't have to glare in people's bedrooms."

I'm getting in there first....

.... "An erection of this size will be visible from my property and as such could devalue or put off potential buyers."

:lol:

The photo was taken at the recent Comic Con. That should tell you everything you need to know. :D

Back