• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Negative Image (Magpie with Inverted Color Scheme)

intaglio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My work enables me to drive about and yesterday I saw a most unusual Magpie. It was not an albino but was a magpie in negative. The majority of it's plumage was white but it had black flashes on its wings and tail. I'll try and get a picture.

Does anyone know how common this sort of thing is?

intaglio said:
My work enables me to drive about and yesterday I saw a most unusual Magpie. It was not an albino but was a magpie in negative. The majority of it's plumage was white but it had black flashes on its wings and tail. I'll try and get a picture.

Does anyone know how common this sort of thing is?

Albinism (total lack of pigment) and leucism (partial lack of pigment) are quite common in the bird world. There's a photo of a leucistic magpie at:

http://www.astro.utu.fi/hlehto/photo/color/picpic3.shtml

Are you sure you didn't see a hooded crow?

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/europebirds/hoodedcrow.html

Please try and get a photo of the bird if you can.

Haven't been able to get a shot yet, was working a different area of the county.

Definitely not a hooded crow; they are rarer than choughs down here; and not leucastic either. The majority of the plumage was white. Black wing flashes in the place you see white ones in a regular magpie and the same colour reversal in the tail.

I saw in the garden of a house by a brook between St Day and United Downs. The brook itself, like many in the area, suffers severe heavy metal polution - certainly copper and probably arsenic.

Magpies are a pretty distinctive shape, so it probably is an albino or partial albine.

Has anybody seen albinos in other species?

Carole

Thereare total albino sparrows round the school near me,they look like white canaries. I saw a crow recently with a white wing.

intaglio said:
I saw in the garden of a house by a brook between St Day and United Downs. The brook itself, like many in the area, suffers severe heavy metal polution - certainly copper and probably arsenic.

on the little lane between chacwater and st day?... or by the little garage i tak eme car too... u may see me and harry wandering about waiting for it to be serviced sometimes... i rmemeber seeing an odd magpie there... white with black bits in all the wrong places, waht threw me was it didnt have along tail tho.. but it looked like a juvenile so it may have not grown it when i saw it..

Back