• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

News That Isn't

drjbrennan

Ephemeral Spectre
I heard two 'news' items on local radio today that I knew about years ago. One was that large methane bubbles can rise from the seabed and sink ships (subject of a channel four documentary about five years ago) from research at an Australian university. The other was that the ideal temperature for a newborn baby's room is 18 degrees C, I knew this when our baby was born five years ago.

Why do I keep hearing news that isn't?

drjbrennan said:
Why do I keep hearing news that isn't?
1) Because you read the FT
2) because, unlike 85% of the population, you have an IQ in triple figures, and the ability to remember things. :)

Deeply flattering...... but seriously, I gave those examples but I hear one of these things about once a week, what is happening?

The Science type of news is always pretty old.

Its not just a case of repeating stuff over and over again as a kind of public education thing as I am hearing stuff in the science press, then months and months later, its shock horror headlines, brand new stuff etc etc and I listen and think, oh that, that was ages ago.

Dolly the sheep took months to hit the headlines. It took me a while to work out they were talking about the same thing as I knew damn well it wasn't new.

I have a pretty low opinion of journalists. They like to make things up because the truth is never lurid enough, recycling old news as new news is pretty ethical in comparison.

Agreed Min, I would never bother to read a science story in a newspaper. If something looks interesting I go to the internet for details, the papers always get the wrong end of the stick.

probably they had a 30 second gap int he news...i worked at a local paper once (in the canteen)...quite often the "reporters" would ask round for a story...say two inches worth ...they realy just wanted to leave no gaps!

My ma, who is in her 70s, often 'hears' news on the 'net days before it breaks elsewhere. My da is fed up of hearing her say 'Oh I know all about that!' every time he tries to impress heer with his knowledge of current affairs.:D

Most news, especially scientific stuff, seems old to me too.
I put it down to reading quality newspapers (well, the Grauniad), using the 'net and watching non-soap TV progs.

I heard on the Radio 1 news today that the existence of giant sea bubbles had explained the Bermuda Triangle! Now that is out of date....

Back