• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nigel Kneale: Beasts and Kinvig

Mob1138 said:
It was on Friday nights if i remember right, never a good slot if you spend Fridays in the pub.

Just checked, Fridays in 1981 - I missed most of them as I was heavily into Am Dram at the time add was either doing shows or rehearsing for them.

Here's an interesting bit - Nigel Kneale did the original draft of HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH!
Writing

Producers recruited Manx science fiction writer Nigel Kneale to write the original screenplay mostly because Carpenter admired his Quatermass series. Kneale said his script did not include "horror for horror's sake." He adds, "The main story had to do with deception, psychological shocks rather than physical ones." Kneale asserted that movie mogul Dino De Laurentiis, owner of the film's distribution rights, did not care for it and ordered more graphic violence and gore. While much of the plot remained the same, the alterations displeased Kneale, and he requested that his name be removed from the credits. Director Tommy Lee Wallace was then assigned to revise the script.

Kinvig was watchable as a curiosity - felt like a mash up of Red Dwarf and Open All Hours (although pre-dating both) and it made a few wry comments about credulous ufologists and other Forteana. It certainly wasn't Kneale's best work though. Prunella Gee in sexy sci-fi gear was rather decorative though!

All right, two Kneale plays unseen for decades and one that turned up on a dodgy copy on YT.

Back