• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nigerian Police Hold 'Magic' Goat Over Attempted Car Theft

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The black and white animal was turned in to police by a vigilante group, which claimed it was an armed car thief who had used black magic to transform himself into a goat to escape arrest after trying to steal a Mazda 323.

"The group of vigilante men came to report that while they were on patrol they saw some hoodlums attempting to rob a car," Tunde Mohammed, a spokesman for Kwara state police, told Reuters.

"They pursued them. However, one of them escaped while the other turned into a goat," he said. While Mr Mohammed said he could not confirm whether a man had, in fact, turned into a goat, he did admit that the animal was in police custody. A photo of the goat, resting on its knees next to a pile of straw, was published in Nigeria's Vanguard newspaper.

Reports citing a different police spokesman said the animal was being held at the station until its owner came to claim it.

Belief in witchcraft is widespread in parts of Nigeria. Many communities in Africa's most populous nation rely on vigilante groups to patrol neighbourhoods that are not served by police at night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... theft.html

maximus otter

This gives me a great idea. I fly to Nigeria and buy a herd of goats. I start robbing banks with goats in the car and release them when the people give chase. Nigerian email scams got nothing on me.

This reminds me of the story a few years back of the Sudanese guy who was forced to marry a goat because its owner caught him having sex with it. Why didn't he just claim it was a woman who was to embarrassed to be seen having sex with him?

ted_bloody_maul said:
This reminds me of the story a few years back of the Sudanese guy who was forced to marry a goat because its owner caught him having sex with it. Why didn't he just claim it was a woman who was to embarrassed to be seen having sex with him?

No kidding?...

:lol:

disgruntledgoth said:
ted_bloody_maul said:

No kidding?...

:lol:

Dont you butt in!

Maybe the thief is Billy The Kid.

Sudan and Nigeria are on kind of different sides of Africa, so it doesn't follow that people in the two countries have similar superstitions or whatever about weregoats...

A poster from Japan - on a thread about people marrying cartoon characters, IIRC - was annoyed about misrepresentation of Japan in the western press - that stories are selected and exaggerated to make Japan look like this really quirky, zany place. I do often wonder if the same for the 'light relief' stories coming from sub-saharan africa.

Back