• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Non-Human Survivors of Shuttle Crash

Well I'm sure that's a great consolation to the families of those
who perished! :rolleyes:

Lessons Learned

Not much comfort for humans in part of the experiment surviving when the experimenters die, but the crash itself seems to have inadvertantly served as an experiment of greater import.

For one thing, the survival of nematodes proves that invertibrates, let alone bacteria can survive a flaming wreck that scatters a space vehicle over 17 counties.

This strengthens the argument that we have to be extra-careful to quarantine space vehicles, stations, satellites, etc. If the nematodes which survived had been a mutated virus, bacterium or parasite, THEY could be introduced into Earth environments, possibly even scattered over a wide area like the wreckage.

This is a BIG problem for anybody who wants to send probes to Mars and other potential life-supporting environments and is even a problem for things like the International Space Station and MIR--which was massively infected with mold and other organisms brought from Earth.

Even more fundamental, the survival of nemotodes in the wreck of a crash space vehicle strengthens the Panspermia theory--scientists have been firing blocks of simulated meteorites with bacteria in them to see if anything could travel from planet to planet in a meteorite and then survive the crash.

It looks like they can survive the crash.

The late Sir Fred Hoyle is today looking less like a maverick on the cutting edge of science and more like a visionary because of these little worms.

Because these worms survived, the victims of the Columbia accident are now victims of an experiment far more important than any they could have intentionally taken part in: they have proven that Life could have come from outer space.

The cultists and science fiction speculators who believe Earth was seeded by space aliens, either intentionally or accidentally can point to this unintended lesson of the Columbia disaster as supporting evidence.

While those scientists who worry that we might bring back Martians from Mars have a cautionary tale to tell: we have, at least, managed to re-introduce Terran organisms to Earth. I hope the nematodes in question were, at least, American natives.

There are already over 50,000 alien (but terrestrial) species in the United States, ranging from the innocuous to the disastrous. I read that there is a new species introduced into San Francisco Bay every two weeks because of ships dumping their ballast water. We don't need to expose ourselves to even greater ecological disasters imported or re-imported from space.

microscopic life on asteroids

It's not as amazing as it may sound...one of the theories about the origin of life on earth is that bacteria were brought to earth from asteroids.

This not only poses a problem for flaming shuttle debris -- what about meteors? If bacteria can live on meteors, they'll enter the atmosphere just the same and these chunks of rocks have been in many more places than any manmade ship. And, they have found meteors containing foreign bacteria before in antarctica ... only that they were dormant because of where they landed. All it takes is just one bug -- the right bug -- and we're all dead.

No point in worrying about it. Not much we can do -- we can't develop vaccines for things that don't exist on this planet plus the radiation in space would make any given bacteria mutate a lot faster.

It still shouldn't stop us from going to Mars, though.

Re: Lessons Learned

littleblackduck said:
Because these worms survived, the victims of the Columbia accident are now victims of an experiment far more important than any they could have intentionally taken part in: they have proven that Life could have come from outer space.
A good point.

For new members, we already have a thread on Life from Space

Perhaps I should merge the threads - or perhaps I should merge this one with the Columbia Crash thread... Decisions, decisions!

Sod it, it's the weekend, I can't be bothered!
:)

Back