• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Non-Marian (Other Than BVM) Christian Visions & Apparitions

SimonBurchell

Justified & Ancient
OK, this isn't the BVM, but this seemed like the most appropriate place for this (mods, please move it if it belongs somewhere else). I am currently reading the excellent book Distorsión by José Antonio Caravaca. Along with a wonderful parade of high strangeness cases including many familar ones, and some great stuff that I'd never come across before, mainly from Europe, there is a brief summary of a British case that intrigued me (my translation from Spanish):

More recently in time, on 15th of November 1940, in Sussex (Great Britain), a shepherd looking after his flock observed a mysterious line slowly extending in the sky. Suddenly, Jesus Christ appeared accompanied by six angels with large wings that took shape before the eyes of the shocked witness. The strange phenomenon lasted about two minutes and other people from the village witnessed the celestial apparition.

I don't recall ever coming across this anywhere. Unfortunately, the book does not name the village, or the witness. Has anyone come across this before? I'd be interested in finding more information... Google wasn't too helpful.

Last edited:
Sounds like he was having some sort of fit!

Sounds like he was having some sort of fit!
Except the passage claims there were other witnesses "from the village". 15 November 1940 was during the Blitz, so could have been misinterpretation of enemy aircraft/anti-aircraft fire. Coventry was heavily bombed that night, and Sussex would presumably have been en route.

[Sorry @SimonBurchell - thought I'd pressed reply on this but hadn't!]

It doesn't say what they saw, the villagers could have seen the line and not the Christ and his band of rockin' angels?

OK - a little more digging turned up a blog with a picture of the news cutting that contained the relevant story:

A Vision of Christ in Firle

So the vision took place neare Firle, East Sussex, and an account was published in the Daily Mirror on 8th November 1940, a week before the date given in Distorsión. The article itself does not date the vision. More digging necessary, off I go...

This is apparently the text from the newspaper article (The Daily Mirror, 8 November 1940, page 3). I lifted it from the blog. I am not entirely sure where the actual newspaper article ends, since the last paragraph mentions an article published a week later (which may be why that date ended up reproduced in Distorsión by José Caravaca).

“Old Fred Fowler, sixty-six, lifted his weather-beaten face skywards and pointed west way above the highest peak of the Sussex downs. ‘It be there when I see it,’ he said. ‘There in the clear blue sky. A vision they calls it – it was the like of something which I never see before’. Then he said reverently, ‘It be Christ I see.’

Fred, who is a shepherd, lives in the village of Firle, near Lewes, Sussex. Yesterday the Daily Mirror told of how he and other villagers claimed to have seen a vision of Christ and six angels.

Fred told me the strange story himself. I joined him in his shelter of bracken on the downs. The biting wind blew round us. His two dogs, Bob and Watch, guarded his 150 sheep.

‘I never be one to see things’, said Fred. ‘I am alone too much for that. (…) I’d just rounded up the flock that morning – it be about eleven. I says to meself it’s a nice clear day and I looks up west at the sky. Then I sees it. It be like what they tells me the cinema is like, but I thinks it be more real. There came a kind of panel across the sky’.

‘Inside the panel of white there was a cross, with Christ, his head to one side, nailed on to it. Round him were six angels. I counted ‘em, and they wore white cloudy robes to the feet. I know it was to the feet because I even saw their feet. I even saw their toes’.

‘When I got to the village I knew what I had seen was really there. There were other people who had seen it, too. But mine’s a simple life – I just have me two dogs, me sheep and me missus way back at the cottage and I come to church on a Sunday. That’s all I sees or knows of life; that’s all I really want to see or know’.

‘I forgot,’ he smiled. ‘There’s my pint I always have of a night’.

‘Sometimes though, if I think of it all now, the vision I mean, I wonders whether it really was Christ come to help put our world straight again’.

Old Fred walked away into the distance with his sheep and dogs. He has never been to the cinema or even out of Sussex. I watched him pass into the distance and I almost envied Fred.

Back in the village I confirmed his story. There were two sisters, widows, evacuated from London, Mrs Grace Evans and Mrs E M Steer who had seen the vision, and also a neighbour, Mrs Stevens. ‘Actually, we must have seen it a second or so before the shepherd did’, Mrs Evans told me, ‘because when I first looked into the sky it was clear blue. Gradually I saw the panel of kind of white cloud appear. I called my sister because it looked so pretty, then all at once we saw the crucifix and Christ. I saw every detail, to the nails in his crossed feet and the angels rose around him’.

‘One held a harp, another an old-fashioned pitcher with two handles. It was as clear as a picture and then, when I had got over my surprise, I called my neighbour to see the wonderful sight’.

‘Yes’, said Mrs Steer, it was so real it almost frightened me. I am not one to imagine things, and I used to smile at the story about the Angels of Mons – I always thought the soldiers who saw them imagined things, but now I can believe it’.

I called to see the vicar, the Reverend A G Gregor.

‘I saw nothing’, he said, ‘and I think the whole thing is nonsense’.

However, the vicar of Firle’s neighbour, the Reverend JR Lawson, the vicar of Glynde, said in an article published a week later in the newspaper:

‘I think those people who say they saw the vision were too much in earnest to be discredited. After all, our Christian religion is based on the vision of Bethlehem, which was only seen by a few. Therefore, why should not the story of apparently quite earnest people living today be equally believed? I certainly think the vision was seen and I only wish I had seen it myself’.

Last edited:
‘Yes’, said Mrs Steer, it was so real it almost frightened me. I am not one to imagine things, and I used to smile at the story about the Angels of Mons – I always thought the soldiers who saw them imagined things, but now I can believe it’.

nice corroboration of the impact of the Angel of Mons too :twothumbs:

Thank you for your sleuthing @SimonBurchell !

OK. Found some more. This seems more to align with the brief mention I stumbled across in Distorsión

Firle village page

Can't seem to copy and paste text at the moment. Excuse the volume overlay, I really can't be bothered to fight my phone to grab another screenshot!

Screenshot_20211223-194320_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211223-194537_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
So this places the vision late morning, 11am, on Sunday 1st September 1940.

1.9.40 was the day after the RAF's most costly day of the Battle of Britain.

On Sunday 1st September the weather was fair with light cloud early, dispersing slowly. Action was summarised as:

"Multi-formation airfield attacks again, involving some 450 aircraft of Luftflotte 2. Heavy damage was caused at Biggin Hill by 120 aircraft knocking out the operations room seting ablaze the armoury. Detling and Eastchurch were also hit badly with lesser damage at Lympne and Hawkinge."

Order of battle, Luftflotte 2.

“Old Fred Fowler, sixty-six, lifted his weather-beaten face skywards and pointed west way above the highest peak of the Sussex downs. ‘It be there when I see it,’ he said." The highest point of the Sussex Downs is Blackdown.

Here is a map of the RAF bases most heavily attacked on 1.9.40 (centres of the red lightning bolts), and the approximate location of Blackdown (the red star):

RAF-Battle-Britain-fighter-bases-02.jpg

*See #13 below for V2.0 of this map, which includes the location of Firle.

Although air combat wasn't an orderly affair taking place in prescribed areas of the sky, this suggests to me that old Fred wasn't seeing the contrails of dogfights as painted by Paul Nash:

Screen-Shot-2014-05-09-at-2.57.00-PM1.jpg

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackdown is in my local patch, and isn't on the South Downs (although it is within the borders of the recently-created National Park, just). I doubt very much that Fred Fowler was referring to Blackdown, which lies some 37 miles WNW of Firle. I think that he was probably referring to the highest visible point on the ridge of the South Downs from his viewpoint.

Blackdown is in my local patch, and isn't on the South Downs (although it is within the borders of the recently-created National Park, just). I doubt very much that Fred Fowler was referring to Blackdown, which lies some 37 miles WNW of Firle. I think that he was probably referring to the highest visible point on the ridge of the South Downs from his viewpoint.

V2.0 of the above map, approximate location of Firle shown by red heart:

RAF-Battle-Britain-fighter-bases-03.jpg

It makes the dogfight scenario less unlikely, but much depends on the acuity of Fred's eyesight and the elevation of his vantage point, as he says the vision was west of Firle by an unspecified distance.

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
I found an interesting article on Airminded that mentions the Firle vision:

Spiritual air defence

Again, though, these are the efforts of (self-appointed, magical) elites. And we're drifting away from the air war too. What about popular beliefs in spiritual air defence? How about the vision of Christ seen by people in the village of Firle, near Lewes in Sussex, in November 1940:

The shepherd, Mr. Fowler, of Firle, told how he saw a white line spread across the sky and from it appeared a vision of Christ crucified on the Cross.
Then six angels took form, he said. They had long, white wings and one was playing a harp.
The vision lasted for two minutes then faded.
[...] he was not the only one who had seen the angels.
A Newhaven evacuee, Mrs. Steer, of The Street, Firle, and her sister, Mrs. Evans, said:
"We could see the nail in the crossed feet of Christ." 4
But although the vision was seen in the sky, it apparently was not specifically related to the air war in any way by those who saw it. Steer said that 'The village is taking the vision as a sign for a British victory'. A Daily Mirror reporter who interviewed Fowler found the shepherd wondering if 'it really was Christ come to help put our world straight again'. 5 It's not quite what I'm after.

Back