• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not Quite Déjà Vu Or A Premonition?

_Cobh_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Please move this to another thread if this is already something that's been discussed - I couldn't find the right place, but here's a freaky little episode that happened to me recently.

Years ago, when returning to my family home, I was sleeping in the bedroom I used to share with my sister. We were both sleeping there again this night, when I was woken by the sound of something falling off the end of the bed and landing on the floor with a thud. I sat up and looked around, but there was nothing on the floor, and although I was a bit disturbed, I went back to sleep eventually, and told my sister about it in the morning as it was still on my mind.

Last month I had to return to the family home, as my father died. Again, my sister and I were sleeping in our old bedroom. One night I sat on the end of the bed as I was getting undressed, and I knocked a book off the end of the bed, onto the floor. I had one of those 'woah!' moments, as the memory came back, and I wondered whether the earlier episode was actually 'me' sitting on the bed at this very poignant time, later in years?

Anyone else had anything like that - kind of haunting oneself???

Very intriguing story and very intriguing question... I suppose it helps if you can recall the odd event when it happens again in the future, otherwise who knows how often it might occur?

Sometimes events are so powerful that they have emit "echoes" in time, like ripples in a pool when you throw a stone in. If the event is strong enough, the ripples go in all directions, not just forward but also back in time. This means that you can feel the echoes years before the event actually happens.

Thats wot i reckon.

Last weekend I took the family for a camping trip to Robin Hood's Bay on the Yorkshire coast. During breakfast, in the middle of some banal conversation, I realised I was acting out and speaking through a dream I'd had some months before.

While trying to convince my one year old to eat something and telling my wife the full English breakfast would give me indigestion I sensed it but the remarkable detail was the mirrors, the three sided ones that give you disconcerting multiple views of yourself from various unfamiliar angles and which were once fairly common in Victorian pubs but have all but disappeared.
It contained exactly those views which, combined with the bland chat, was the kind of detail that marked it down as a typical mad dream image and dismissed as unlikely when I awoke. I've only been to the village a few times and never been in that building which has only recently been fitted out as a restaurant anyway. My wife asked me what was wrong and I commented on the deja vu after which the precognitive aspect dissipated and I was out the loop. Most striking.

I was having a conversation with my sister when we were both in our mid-teens. I became acutely aware that I had heard this exact conversation as it happened. I knew that at one point I would say something which would spark a major row between my sister and myself. I deliberately didn't make that comment and no argument ensued. To this day I wonder if I had made the comment would the argument have happened?

gncxx said:
Very intriguing story and very intriguing question... I suppose it helps if you can recall the odd event when it happens again in the future, otherwise who knows how often it might occur?

Now that I'm aware of this phenomenon, I'll be on the lookout for similar episodes - I suppose it would be difficult to try to 'force' something into this category, because the episode I wrote of was really quite striking in that it happened in a place where I don't spend very much time these days, and also the first occurrence (the sound that woke me up) was quite disturbing and therefore I remembered it and spoke of it . But what if these things happen regularly when we are in our usual surroundings - would we notice them?

HenryFort said:
time slips or hauntings? i still vividly recall the day i might have seen myself from the recent past:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Wow that is fascinating - personally my opinion is that these are timeslips, as 'dead people' don't figure in them.

There are curious events we hear of such as a hitchhiker who hitches a lift on motorbikes through the Mersey Tunnel, only for the rider to find they have no passenger when they reach the other end of the tunnel

Now that would seem to be an event that kept being repeated in time, but I wouldn't consider it to be a timeslip unless the event hasn't happened yet, whereas the police who have had this reported to them on several occasions put it down to a 'ghost'.

Who knows - but still that fascinates me.

oweny29 said:
Sometimes events are so powerful that they have emit "echoes" in time, like ripples in a pool when you throw a stone in. If the event is strong enough, the ripples go in all directions, not just forward but also back in time. This means that you can feel the echoes years before the event actually happens.

Thats wot i reckon.

That's exactly wot I reckon too :D Very nicely put. Do you suppose it only happens at times when events are really powerful, very emotional, disturbing or even extremely happy events? This is what causes the ripples, so to speak? Or like I asked above, do you think maybe they happen often but we don't notice them, or maybe don't take them seriously but perhaps have a quick thought of 'wow that was weird?' and then dismiss them because otherwise it would scare the living daylights out of us? When that happened to me a few weeks ago, the possibility of what had happened was really quite a shock when I acknowledged the thought.

colpepper1 said:
It contained exactly those views which, combined with the bland chat, was the kind of detail that marked it down as a typical mad dream image and dismissed as unlikely when I awoke. [...] My wife asked me what was wrong and I commented on the deja vu after which the precognitive aspect dissipated and I was out the loop. Most striking.

Now that's quite a weird one, because, as you say, you even considered the aspects of your dream and put them down as weird.

I had a similar weird dream years ago about Michael Jackson doing a 'greet' in my back yard, and my yard was tiny in that place but in the dream it was full of school children (this was pre the charges/accusations by the way!) MJ was waving at all the school children shouting 'I love you all' and shaking hands with some of them. I woke up thinking how weird it was to dream of Michael Jackson and why was he in my back yard, and I mentioned it to my partner and we both laughed. But a few days later I read out a passage in the newspaper to my partner, that was almost word for word how I had related my dream. The article said that MJ had made alleged derogatory remarks about Asian people (I don;t even remember the incident) and had gone to a school where the children were predominantly Asian, unannounced, and had had greeted them, waving outside the school, and one of the kids who was interviewed said MJ had shouted 'I love you All!' Absolutely trivial and totally mental! Why did I dream about that?

Your 'episode' sounds like it was just as trivial - making me wonder that if these ripples in time do exist, and we even pick them up when we are asleep, do these happen often and we maybe we just read the 'right' article or hear of the event happening? Or in your case, perhaps you just don't remember other dream events because they are just so trivial to be noticed, but some have more of a 'woah!' factor for whatever reason (like the surroundings you noticed in your dream, and then found yourself in), and then we remember them?

danny_cogdon said:
[....] I deliberately didn't make that comment and no argument ensued. To this day I wonder if I had made the comment would the argument have happened?

Maybe you know your sister too well and your mind raced ahead to the possible outcome of what might happen if you made the comment? :D Seriously though, that's a weird one, if you actually were 'given' an opportunity not to repeat something that may have resulted in a major life incident in a different time? Who knows where that argument might have led and what the lasting consequences might have been.

I'm fascinated by the Parallel Universe theory - your episode fits that scenario somewhat, IMHO.

Most people use "deja vu" when referring merely to a vague and nonspecific familiarity to their surroundings or the moment they're experiencing. I only had "proper" deja vu for the first time a few weeks ago on a group trip with friends to Paris (as an aside does the use of a french phrase for the phenomenon come from a particular propensity to experience it in France? Just wondering.).

We - 8 of us - were sat under a raincover on tables outside of a restaurant in the mid evening. The friend immediately to my right said somethng that had me thinking "I'm sure he said that before" and when I looked up to all of those to my right, and to our surroundings, the sense of having seen and experienced this scene before was overwhelming, rising in my stomach like a terror. Like someone in shock I watched their silent curious faces as they looked back at mine contorted with confusion and struggling to understand and express what I was feeling. It was only when I got the words out..about experiencing dejavu..that the spell was broken and the panic, for want of a better word, left me.

What made the moment doubly curious is that it was topped and tailed with a coincidence. Almost immediately I remembered I'd mentioned the subject of deja vu only 20 minutes before in the street with one of my friends (not the eerie phenomenon itself, but the words.. I was trying to remember the opposite term). It was a passing reference and not in my mind when I experienced it myself over dinner. A week after getting home and intending to come online and tell someone about it I mentally recounted the story to myself in the kitchen while washing dishes....the moment, the very moment, I got to the end , from the television in the next room Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seatle started talking about Deja Vu...

I agree and we have tons of posts on another thread about it, that deja vu comes from reality being actually 'noticed' while it happens and not like usually a nanosecond later. However I had some deja vus that I knew had been dreams. So much so that I remembered roughly when I dreamed them and in one instance remember having even told my husband. Those must be different surely. I also remember what might happen but know fully well that it doesn't have to happen if I change a little aspect [as in the story with the sister and the row that never happened].
I blame multiple universes.

Back