• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Notes & Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
For those of you with long memories, it's back.

This forum is for.. well, notes and queries of a Fortean nature. So, if you have a nagging question, or a partial memory of weirdness and are unsure which forum to even start with, this is the place to ask.

Remember, this is all about the oddnesses. If it's about the site itself or how it works (or doesn't) check Website Issues - if your question is mundane or non-Fortean, feel free to ask in Chat.

stuneville said:
Remember, this is all about the oddnesses.
Well, here's a note from World Wide Words on Odd, Odds, Odd man out, etc:

Odd

Perhaps I should resist the play on words, but odd really is odd. At school, I was never able to get a good explanation why half of all numbers were said to be odd. What was strange about 3 or 255 or 1729?

Even is easier to explain. It’s from Old English efen, derived from a Germanic source, but nobody has yet been able to say for sure whether it originally meant “level” or “equal, like”. The Old English word, however, definitely meant a flat piece of ground, hence level or smooth. It began to be applied to numbers in the late 1500s with the idea that an even one could be divided into two equal parts, figuratively on a level with each other. We know this because even had been applied rather earlier in the century to accounts that were in balance or square.

Odd began life in the various Scandinavian languages. In Old Norse an oddr was a spear point, while in Old Icelandic oddi meant a point or tongue of land, a word that still appears in one or two ancient English place names. The figurative idea common to both was a point, hence a triangle and from that the number three. In Old Icelandic an oddamaðr was the third man, who had a casting vote; English obtained odd man out from it. From all this came the idea of numbers with an unpaired unit, originally the number three, that left a remainder of one after dividing by two. Odd also came to refer to an indefinite or unknown remainder above a round number such as ten, a dozen or 100, giving us phrases like “her 50-odd years” and “the book has 300-odd pages” as well as odds and ends for miscellaneous remnants, stuff left over. It can also be a single item left over, as when we say that a game was won by the odd goal.

The plural odds came to mean unequal things and then an abstract noun for inequality or difference, as in it makes no odds. Two contending parties may be said to be at odds with each other. The difference might be the extent to which one has superior capability or strength, which led to the probability that some contest or game would have a particular result, and from there to odds in the gambling sense. It turns up in other places, too, such as odds-on for something likely to happen.

Our common modern sense of an odd person being peculiar or strange is a development of the old idea of odd man out that began to be recorded in the late sixteenth century. Though he didn’t invent it, Shakespeare is an early user in Love’s Labour’s Lost in 1598: “He is too picked, too spruce, too affected, too odd as it were.”

http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/ykjv.htm

A thought of my own: in the game of backgammon the 'Points' on the board are two different colours, arranged alternately. This means that if you throw an odd number, your man moves that number of points and ends up on a point of a different colour from the one he started on. (Conversely, an even throw lands a man on a point of the same colour as he started from.)

Knowing this, and that the board is divided into four quarters with six points in each, it's very easy to work out where a man moves to without apparently counting the points at all! Experts can play very fast like this, while beginners laboriously count out the points one at a time, tapping the man on each one. (This is the backgammon equivalent of moving your lips when reading!)

I must admit, however, that I only picked up this odd/even system since playing the game on a computer. It's especially useful when a move crosses the central Bar, which distorts the points spacing somewhat, because you still know the colour of the point the man will land on.

Now, it's my throw - double six!
Oh drat, I'm blocked, I can't use that throw! :(

It's a funny old game! 8)

How do you pronounce Vardøger?
I don't know what to do with the cross-scored 'o' and I don't speak Norwegian (aren't there two very different dialects?).

This unusual grave stone seems to be real!

I nearly put it in WTF but it deserves better. Where should it go?

and is it really real? or a UL attached to..... anything I come up with is even more outlandish!

thunderbird.jpg

Help! I'm going to Fortingall for the weekend. And I've lost my copy of the review of Yew trees :cry:

If anyone has it handy, can they tell me what the considered verdict on the age of the fortingall yew was?

:huh:

love it! :D thank you?

PROBE THE UNEXPLAINED

Anyone know anything about this partwork? looks a partwork anyway :)

is it the north american version of The Unexplained? totallly seperate?

thank you JamesWhitehead. I am hoping I've found a lengthy set of reading that is new to me.

Having checked prices it seems it must remain unprobed however :(

Last night, I was listening to an episode of In Our Time hosted by Melvyn Bragg and he had three academics in the studio discussing The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne. During the course of the programme they mentioned several other early novels and novelists, one of them being that one written by Cervantes.
One of the guest speakers pronounced it

"Don Kwik-zo-tay"
whereas I always thought it was pronounced
"Don Ki-ho-tay"

Are they both correct? Or was Nik Kershaw talking nonsense?

I can't remember who was speaking, but one was from Cambridge and another University College London.

Both correct in English. See also: A-jin-court vs A-zhin-core for Agincourt and Valet vs Vallay.

It is only a relatively short time ago that it became usual (indeed sophisticated) to attempt foreign pronunciation and many words were Anglicised. The educated would read many imported words as English even if they spoke the language from which the loanword came fluently. This is still the case in conservative RP, especially in academic circles. David Starkey is a famous adherent to the practice.

Something similar exists in British Latin where there are three different schools of pronunciation: ecclesiastical (essentially Italian), Traditional English (the norm for ages) and reconstructed (an attempt to mimic actual Romans).

Is it a bit like Byron pronouncing Don Juan as Don Joo-an?

I have also heard the opera (or ballet) pronounced Don Key-shot (by Bernard Levin on Face the Music)

Don Quichotte is the French version of the name, usually used for the ballet by the Russian Minkus.

Though that English Wikipedia article goes back to Don Quixote, it was usual at one time to refer to ballets in French - hence Le sacre du printemps, Casse-noisette etc etc. We were never expected to get our tongues around the Russian version! These days, the French versions would be deemed affectations - but that would not have daunted Levin!

I have heard the title to the Strauss tone-poem pronounced in several ways. Come to that, his first name, Richard, gets an assortment of sounds too!

A jokey Guardian piece on the subject here. :oops:

It is only a relatively short time ago that it became usual (indeed sophisticated) to attempt foreign pronunciation and many words were Anglicised.

I remember adverts for Nessell's Milky Bar. Not that Nestlé is the epitome of sophistication, especially. When did they make the change?

I remember adverts for Nessell's Milky Bar. Not that Nestlé is the epitome of sophistication, especially. When did they make the change?
Probably about the time when Brits became more used to French pronunciation.

I searched on "Green Man in Scotland" to check some pictures and noticed a new-to-me item, an entry for an unobtainable text on Amazon. I collect GM in Scotland references (yes, I know you'll be ASTONISHED by that) but this is the first I've seen of it - nothing has referenced it for example.

Does anyone know if it? have it? want to sell it? have any ideas about how to track it down? I haven't checked the British Library yet but I know I'll have to eventually :(

Where is the genereral offering kisses and hugs to everyone emoticon? :angel:

THank you! I wonder if the FCAC has an archive of the earlier place's catalogues or whatveer..... sending virtial chocolates!

Reader's Digest - Discovery & Exploration

one of those glossy picture book type series - anyone know how many there are in the full set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back