• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Numinous New Mexico

All I know about Albuquerque comes via Bugs Bunny.

Y'know, what Brits know about Albuquerque comes from watching Breaking Bad.
Yes, I know. They got some thing right. I haven't watched it except for the first season, or part of the first season because the story was so awful. And the woman who bought that house from the movie company is a real twit. She has put up a fence (which she had to get special permission from the city to put up) and has signs posted that if you want to look at the house stay across the street. The reason I think she is a twit is because she knew exactly what she was buying and before she moved in there were lots of tourists going to that house to take photos of themselves in front of it or on the porch. And people would drive by and throw a pizza on the roof for fun. If I lived in that house I would have a ladder on the side of the house where I could retrieve the pizza's before they got cold. Anyway, there was a lot of silly people upset because the cemetary, Sunset Memorial Park, sold a grave for the fictional character and the television company held a funeral for him and charged the public to attend. So, Sunset Memorial Park needed the money and so what. Tourist still try to find Walt's grave. I think they may have to pay the cemetery to get in though, not sure.

The things that are right are Blakes burgers, Twisters and the Octopus car wash are real, but right after the show ended the owners sold the car wash and it has a new name. The pizza place is real too, but I can't remember the name of it, never had pizza from there.

That song is awful. I never saw that video before.
Please realise there are a fair number of British people whose only knowledge of Alburquerque is that song.

I might be wrong but I have vague memories of it being played at before kick off at football in the late 80's and some in the crowd would sing aloud "Alburquerque".

This game has a similar name, previously unknown to me also until I mispelled my Google search for Aburquerque.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alquerque

Last edited:
Please realise there are a fair number of British people whose only knowledge of Alburquerque is that song.

I might be wrong but I have vague memories of it being played at before kick off at football in the late 80's and some in the crowd would sing aloud "Alburquerque".

This game has a similar name, previously unknown to me also until I mispelled my Google search for Aburquerque.

Yup, while not a footy fan I only know one line of the song.
Well, one word really. :chuckle:

I read a while back that the word 'Albuquerque' was used originally in the song as an in fill word until the band could think of a different one, but they ended up keeping it in.

I read a while back that the word 'Albuquerque' was used originally in the song as an in fill word until the band could think of a different one, but they ended up keeping it in.
That's brilliant! :chuckle:

Like when the tune of Yesterday came to Macca before the words, so he used 'scrambled eggs' until he could cobble the lyrics.

Well, there is no relation to anything I know of in Albququerque in that song except the name and maybe the location is similar to the old country club.

Here are two songs that really are about Albuquerque.
All the photos in this song are Albuquerque, most are historical.

Here is another one, I don't like the guys voice (aversion to 60's country)

@JahaRa

They are nice enough songs.

This too, not my type of song but can see the appeal, "Albuquerque" by Neil Young.

And found this generic G Funk type rap from Big [Not the deceased Biggie Smalls] feat Lil Fetty and Mike Cee "Aluqeurque Nights"

@JahaRa

They are nice enough songs.

This too, not my type of song but can see the appeal, "Albuquerque" by Neil Young.

And found this generic G Funk type rap from Big [Not the deceased Biggie Smalls] feat Lil Fetty and Mike Cee "Aluqeurque Nights"

I have heard the Neil Young song but not the Albuquerque Nights. Thanks.

I think I have met one of those rappers.

New Mexico gets numinous north and south of Albuquerque. The city itself is sort of the crossroads of two huge highways.

Random thought : I had a secondhand LP 'Too stuffed to jump' by the Amazing Rhythm Aces in the '70's and that came with a small postcard claiming it was not too far to go to Albert Turkey. Wonder if I still have it ?

New Mexico gets numinous north and south of Albuquerque. The city itself is sort of the crossroads of two huge highways.
New Mexico is the land of Enchantment. Yes those two highways are I-40 east/west & I-25 north/south. I-40 goes through Amarillo, OK city, etc. I-25 goes through Denver and to the Canadian border. South it goes to the Mexican border.

New Mexico is the land of Enchantment. Yes those two highways are I-40 east/west & I-25 north/south. I-40 goes through Amarillo, OK city, etc. I-25 goes through Denver and to the Canadian border. South it goes to the Mexican border.
Amarillo is not an OK city, it is a city to drive through as fast as legally possible. Unless you like barbeque.

Amarillo is not an OK city, it is a city to drive through as fast as legally possible. Unless you like barbeque.
Why? I like Amarillo. It is not so bad as cities go. Now Houston, or any city in Virginia that is another story.

Why? I like Amarillo. It is not so bad as cities go. Now Houston, or any city in Virginia that is another story.
I have driven across country about a dozen times and I rely for consistent OK food on Denny's. Don't ever go into the Denny's in Amarillo. And there's just nothing there but expensive hotels and BBQ places .

I have driven across country about a dozen times and I rely for consistent OK food on Denny's. Don't ever go into the Denny's in Amarillo. And there's just nothing there but expensive hotels and BBQ places .
The Denny's in Amarillo is not even on the highway, why don't you go to Cracker Barrel? Easy off the freeway, easy on.

I consider Denny's to be a place to get edible food if there is nothing decent nearby. And I'm really hungry. In my tour driving days, I found myself at Denny's far too often. I knew there was something not right about their sausage links. One time I was seated at the counter, with the cooks in view. I saw one of the cooks pull the basket out of a deep fryer, and dump deep fried sausage links onto a tray. Oh boy.

I love the food in New Mexico, particularly the Mexican food. It's famous for being different and much better than the usual Tex Mex one finds elsewhere (which I like a lot too).

One time on a bus tour, the guide was going over her plans for the day as we waited for the luggage to appear from the hotel. She said she was thinking of having lunch in Cuba, a tiny town in New Mexico where that particular tour usually did a morning break stop, at a gas station because there was nothing else around for miles and miles. "It's a little early for lunch, but we can dawdle a bit on the way and get in at about 11."

"Lunch at Cuba?" I asked, thinking she had lost her mind. She told me the name of the place. I had never heard of it. She told me where it was, and I said I thought that place was long closed down. "You haven't eaten there? It's great. You'll see."

We got to the old motel, which really did look, well, not exactly abandoned, but not open for business either. I parked next to the front door and let everyone out, then parked under a giant shade tree, a welcome luxury in the desert. Inside, I found a modest but very clean diner type place, and the food was wonderful. The owner came 'round and asked me how the food was. I told her it was great. She said, "Everything in your salad there came from the garden out back, fresh this morning."

I told some other guides about it, and they all thought I was nuts. I have no idea how that one guide found out about it.

Later--
Wow! What a difference 30 year make! Cuba now has many places to eat lunch, including a friggin' McDonalds. I think the place we stopped that day was right where this laundromat is now, but it has been a long time and I'm not sure. There were two gas stations, neither of which sold diesel fuel, and a few other businesses but no place better than a gas station for a break stop. Gas stations were pretty much the bottom of the list for that.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6...d58176f3!8m2!3d36.026279!4d-106.9597809?hl=en

Reminds me of Moab, Utah. The first time I was ever there was on a tour. There was one cafe, a grocery store, and a gift shop or two. We stayed the night, and went to the grocery store so everyone could buy something for lunch, a picnic at Capitol Reef National Park, pretty much the middle of nowhere but with stunning views and some interesting ruins from the wild west days. The next year, Moab had two new motels and a couple of new restaurants. On my last visit, in 2012 I think, the main street was full of gift shops, pizza joints, coffee shops, Mexican restaurants, gift shops, regular Italian places, burger joints, and on and on. Weird.

Last edited:
One time I was seated at the counter, with the cooks in view. I saw one of the cooks pull the basket out of a deep fryer, and dump deep fried sausage links onto a tray. Oh boy.
What's the issue with that? We have battered and fried sausages over here in the UK.
OK, I guess they would be swimming in fat - that may be the main problem.

That was an interesting write-up, by the way.

deep fried sausage links
Why is that bad? Isn't everything there fried?
Some places here offer 'vegetarian sausages' vilely deep-friend as the only non-meat option. They're probably nearly as unhealthy as 'real' ones.

Back