• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nutty the Vampire Slayer

More on that:

KNIFE-WIELDING MAN KILLED BY ANTIOCH POLICE TODAY
02/15/06 3:45 PST

ANTIOCH (BCN)

A man approaching Antioch police armed with a large kitchen knife and a meat fork was shot and killed by police early this morning, the Antioch Police Department reported.

The man was killed at a residence at 2100 Rubye Drive in Antioch around 1 a.m. today.

Police were responding to a 911 call from a man at the residence in which the caller sounded "delusional, nonsensical and confused," according to police. The caller was talking about prowlers and vampires that he thought were around his home and on his roof.

Antioch police officers arrived at the residence and knocked on the door, and were told to enter from someone inside the residence. The subject confronted police with the knife and fork when they entered.

According to police, the subject ignored repeated orders by police to drop the weapons. The man then advanced toward the officers with the weapons "outstretched in an aggressive and threatening manner," police reported.

The officer closest to the man fired his gun when the subject was approximately four feet away, hitting the subject at least twice. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident is under investigation by the Contra Costa County District Attorney's office, the Antioch Police Department, and the crime lab of the Contra Costa County Sheriff's office.

Both of the officers involved are "veteran" law enforcement officials, according to police. The officers' names are not being released at this time.

The name of the decedent is also not being released at this time.

Source

Posted on Thu, Feb. 16, 2006

Officer shoots, kills man armed with butcher's tools

By Danielle McNamara
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

A 27-year-old man was shot and killed by Antioch police early Wednesday after officers say he threatened them with a large carving knife and meat fork.

Scott Dittman called police to say there were "vampires" prowling outside his house in the 2100 block of Rubye Drive shortly before midnight Tuesday, Antioch police Capt. Steve McConnell said.

When two officers arrived, Dittman invited them inside but then threatened them with the butcher's tools, police said.

Officers repeatedly told Dittman to drop the knife and fork, but he refused, McConnell said. Instead, Dittman came toward the officers. When he got within 4 feet of them, the officer nearest Dittman shot him at least twice, McConnell said. Dittman died at the scene.

"When you have someone armed with a butcher knife and in such close quarters, the use of lethal force is justified," said Antioch Police Chief Mark Moczulski in an interview later Wednesday. "You wouldn't expect an officer to use a baton in that situation."

Officers are not trained to shoot someone in the arm or leg to simply disarm them, Moczulski said.

"They're not trained to wound an individual. You use deadly force because the situation dictates deadly force," he said.

In December, Dittman made a similar call to a police dispatcher to say there were people in his side yard, but Dittman's father said no one was outside.

Dittman's father was not at the house when Wednesday's shooting occurred, said Antioch police Sgt. Dimitri Barakos.

Antioch officers have nonlethal weapons, but Barakos said they are large and wouldn't be carried when responding to most calls. The department has a cache of Taser guns, but has not deployed them because of pending legal issues concerning their use.

Alecea Arteche, who lives near the Dittman house, said she heard the shots while watching television.

The Dittmans "were always inside. I don't think anyone knew them," she said.

Police did not release the name of the officers involved in the shooting. Both were put on paid leave for an undetermined amount of time.

The incident is being jointly investigated by the Antioch Police Department, the sheriff's crime lab and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office, as is the case in any officer-involved shooting.

www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/ne ... 886002.htm

Another wannabe Buffy?

Stake used in toilet assault

June 29, 2006

A BUS driver has been assaulted while taking a toilet break at a ferry terminal on Brisbane's inner southside.

The driver was returning to his bus at the intersection of Apollo Road and Byron Street at Bulimba after using the public toilet when he was confronted by a man armed with a wooden stake, police said.

He demanded money and punched the driver several times.

But the driver retaliated, throwing a few punches of his own before the man ran-off empty-handed.

The driver was treated at the scene by ambulance officers.

The would-be robber was described as Caucasian in appearance, in his early 20s, weighing around 70kg and wearing dark clothing.

www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19625425-29277,00.html

The very first lesson of vampire hunting is try and cath them when they are vulnerable - like when they nip off for a slash.

Brisbane bus-drivers may be evil, but they aren't vampires.

They can't be in Brisbane's weather. Too much bright sunlight.

I suspect he was really some other type of demon.

_Lizard23_ said:
The kiddies (and not so kiddies) that are buying books like Silver Raven Wolf's Teen Witch do actually believe that magic really works.

Whereas I assume you believe it doesn't.

And as a ritual magician I disagree with you ...
And with the teen witches ...
And everyone else too ;) .... but this isn't really the place for that debate I suspect :)

Thinking about it though there are lots of relationships we can and do have with entertainment material, most which are perfectly normal behaviour ... the suspension of disbelief, identification with characters, infatuation, obsession, acting out .....

Ok. Confessedly it's 2years late but i thought i'd just mention that this is one of the most nicely-balanced and thought provoking posts i've read here in months. (First page, i won't quote it in its entirety).

Back