• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Object Crossing Moon Cyprus News

Waylander

Ephemeral Spectre
Okay, so I'm just back from Cyprus and while I was there, last Tuesday I think, I caught the end of a news report on the local news while channel hopping; well It could have been a Greek station too. I am not sure, but what I glimpsed was video footage of a large roundish object passing across the moon. Then it cut back to the female presenter acting the way most news readers do when they have been given those odd news reports about UFO's, smiling and joking about such nonsense.

However it was interesting, but could finding nothing about what it actually was. I did not catch any more about this on any other channel, and have done my best to try and track down any news reports about the moon and objects and UFO's that would relate.

Does anyone out there in interwebland have any idea what it was all about? Please!!!!!

EnolaGaia said:
Could it have been this June 2008 video from John Lenard Walson?

Thanks Enola, but thats not it.

It was a video of the full moon, with a spherical object, almost as big as the moon passing between the video camera and the moon. the object looked brownish. I guess that the object was passing in the outer atmosphere as it did seem distant and moved slowly infront of the moon. It wasn't just a dot, like the other videos that I've seen before.

This was very recent so anything pre-the last two months say June or July of this year 2008, may not be it at all.

The death star only existed in some daft sci-fi blockbuster, it's hardly likely to be that. Judging by the pictures it's almost certainly some kind of ET piloted craft:

et_moon.jpg

Was it this?

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/16155 ... ver-Cyprus

The meteorite, as seen above Machmoret, Israel

Between 8:25 - 8:30 pm tonight, in the town of Larnaca (Southern coast of Cyprus) I was walking by the beach when I saw in the sky something like a ball of fire moving slower than a usual falling star, followed by a bright pink/red tail. Other people on the beach saw it as well and kept talking and wondering about it.

None of us saw anything like this before. It must have been much closer to the earth than "regular" falling stars, because we kept seeing it crossing the sky for about 10 seconds before it disappeared from view behind some tall buildings.

It seems to have been going north, somewhere over Turkey, or maybe even Greece.

EnolaGaia said:
The bits about relative size, visibly spherical nature, and brownish color remind me of the recently-released online video of NASA's Deep Impact satellite imaging the moon transiting the earth ...

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/ ... ansit.html

Ah! Now! If there was a prize I'd send you one! Well done EnolaGaia!

I believe this is what I had seen. Now that I see it I'm disapointed! ;) Okay it is great technology, and yes it is a spacecraft filming our world from deep space, I guess it is out of this world. I guess I was hoping for something out of our solar system.

But wow great find.

That film shows just how truly dark the surface of the moon is when contrasted with a planet with a higher albedo.

nyarlathotepsub2 said:
That film shows just how truly dark the surface of the moon is when contrasted with a planet with a higher albedo.

Does it....... Mmmmmm..... Maybe it's just that dark from that side of the moon, you know it has a dark side. the camera was 31 million miles away, you try get a decent light meter reading from that distance. Sheeesh!

Wait - - Waylander are you saying that what you saw on TV was actually the Deep Impact video, and you mistook the Earth in that video to be the Moon?

Sorry, just confused - it seems like it'd be hard to mistake the Earth for the Moon, though as you say you just glimpsed it.

IamSundog said:
Wait - - Waylander are you saying that what you saw on TV was actually the Deep Impact video, and you mistook the Earth in that video to be the Moon?

Sorry, just confused - it seems like it'd be hard to mistake the Earth for the Moon, though as you say you just glimpsed it.

Well I guess so! the vid was a bit grainy on d'telly an all, most times the moon is just a white glow with the darkish details of it's impact craters and surface features, sometimes it can look a little earth like in various fuzzy images.

The earth was definately brighter than what is shown in EnolaGaia's video link than the vid I glimpsed, But the overall video sure looks the same as that of what I had seen on Cyprus tv.

Waylander28 said:
nyarlathotepsub2 said:

Does it....... Mmmmmm..... Maybe it's just that dark from that side of the moon, you know it has a dark side. the camera was 31 million miles away, you try get a decent light meter reading from that distance. Sheeesh!

It does!

While the moon isn't the darkest (in terms of albedo) object in the solar system, it is pretty darn dark - about like a lump of charcoal.

The Earth isn't too terribly bright when contrasted with say, Venus, but next to the moon it's really quite reflective.

The "Dark Side of the Moon", is a colloquialism (as well as a very good album) - in the video you can see that the dark side of the moon is at the same angle as the dark side of the earth - the side which is facing away from the sun. The side of the moon which faces away from the Earth is actually slightly higher albedo than the other - it doesn't have the vast Mares scarring it.

And it's quite simple to get a decent light reading from 31 million miles away - photometry is the method whereby transiting planets are observed orbiting stars - and they're much further away than a mere 31 million miles!

Back