• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd behaviour around street name signs

cardinaluk

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Over the years i have seen about 5 or 6 people acting strangely around street name signs. When i say street name signs i mean the cast iron black and white ones you see on almost every street. i live in the west midlands and have seen men, women of all ethnicity hovering around these signs, quickly looking behind the sign, dipping their hand and mooching around, everytime looking
guilty. I come to the assumption of a drugs drop off but i am interested to hear if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Nicking the signs for scrap metal? Are they checking the bolts...?

Sometimes it may be a drugs drop-off, and other times it could be something else.
Prostitute waiting for clients, somebody waiting for a lift or a taxi, somebody hanging about because they like the street sign... 8)

cardinaluk said:
Over the years i have seen about 5 or 6 people acting strangely around street name signs. When i say street name signs i mean the cast iron black and white ones you see on almost every street. i live in the west midlands and have seen men, women of all ethnicity hovering around these signs, quickly looking behind the sign, dipping their hand and mooching around, everytime looking
guilty. I come to the assumption of a drugs drop off but i am interested to hear if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Could be geocachers?

Well the only time I spotted this lark going on, it was a big walrus-faced bloke rubbing out the C in Canal Street! :p

Have you seen this only or mainly in the West Midlands? I have family there and will ask if they've seen it too.

JamesWhitehead said:
Well the only time I spotted this lark going on, it was a big walrus-faced bloke rubbing out the C in Canal Street! :p

Jamie Hyneman?

Only to see where it would lead . . .

Since it led to a great big walrus-faced man, I ran home screaming! eek!!!!:

I second the suggestion about it being geocachers. If you don't feel brave enough to investigate the area yourself, next time you see it happening, make a note of where it was and then check on geocaching.com to see if there's a cache listed there. Some caches are hidden in little magnetic boxes, or tiny containers wedged into corners and things.

Whenever I'm looking for caches, I always feel kind of shifty even though I'm not doing anything wrong, so that might explain the guilty looks.

JamesWhitehead said:
Turning it into Anal Treet? :p

I'd guess the people you've seen are at a drug drop off place. I live in the West Midlands too, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for them :) Also, quite often a prostitute will stash a bottle of vodka under a hedge/behind a phone box and return to it later, so it might be that.

When I was teaching people to drive, a common "reverse around a corner" spot in Whitehawk was at the end of Alan Way.

I don't think it ever said "Alan" for longer than an hour.

The bears were holding a shitting party in Wood Street. :cross eye

And that walrus was slippery before I arrived!

ramonmercado said:
BlackRiverFalls said:
Since it led to a great big walrus-faced man, I ran home screaming! eek!!!!:

That's funny you came upon a walrus, usually you only encounter bears.

Did he have a carpenter with him?

Or a John Lennon lookalike?

Yes I'd probably be more inclined toward the drugs drop off. Escargot - no I've seen it up in York and down in the capital.
I reported one woman to the police as she frequented this particular sign many times.
Here's the road and hopefully you can see the sign:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...=lo4GUKe8OpHKtAbuhfzzBg&sqi=2&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAQ

That photo really doesn't do Birmingham any justice does it?

Anyway the sign is obscured behind scaffold. The woman I reported had a young child with her and came back day after day. She looked gaunt, depressed and very shifty, so me being a nosy do-gooder (or badder) phoned the non-emergency line to the police and reported her. Of course they probably didn't care and just flung the report into the huge pile called "time wasters/do-gooders".

Anyway i thought I'd share....

With the street sign being so near the centre of twon, maybe it's a shop lifters drop off? I.E: they nick something and drop it off there before going and getting more?

I go past there quite often so I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Read all through these posts and then went on a quick google search to find out about 'Geocaching.'
Now I know why there are always people rummaging in the bush by the path at the bottom of my road !

Haarp xx

yes I noticed this too. Sometimes street names bring me to think about novels and other times I think that street names are not real streets. In fact once I was talking to a doctor after becoming dizzy and suddenly started thinking of my street sign and told him I am not sure it is even a real street for whatever reason. Now I was obviously suffering from exhaustion but he suggested I see a psychiatrist.

Back