• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Happenings and Strange Feelings in House

yeahno

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is my first ever post having enjoyed reading the stories on 'it happened to me' for some time.I have been itching to share my strange experiences in a house I used to live in. The house was a 1960s end terrace house in Hereford and I lived there with my husband Dan and our cat for about 20 months. We moved out due to me getting a new job in another city in March of this year. Several strange events happened:

One evening when Dan was out at about 11.20 I was engrossed in a completely non spooky book in the front room wih the cat sat next to me when I heard footsteps walking across the floor of our spare bedroom. (This bedroom was on the side of the house without an adjoining house and directly above the front room) The footsteps were quite distinct from any slight noise that came from the house next door). The footsteps were heavy, delib erate and moved at a quick but normal pace across the bedroom towards the window.
My thoughts were as follows:
1. A vague awareness that didn't really impinge on my consciousness of the quite normal sound of someone walking across a room
2. The onset of extreme panic as I realised that since Dan was out there must be an intruder in the house and an irrational idea of finding the meat cleaver or sharp knife and foolishly going to 'investigate' rather than legging it
3. The realisation that it must be a pretty wierd intruder that had kept completely silent for 6 hours (it was that long since I had locked the back door and no one could get in the front door as it was always kept locked) and then walked across the floor without being concerned about any noise they made - had they been asleep all this time? It seemed highly unlikely!
4. Relief that I wasn't going to have to defend myself against a tangible potential attacker
5. A prickling of the hairs on the back of my neck knowing that I should not have heard what I had quite distinctly heard.

As you can tell from the above I was and still am completely convinced that I did hear footsteps. Just as I was wondering what to do I heard the incredibly welcome sound of Dan returning and of course went up to check the spare room where nothing was amiss.

Several other strange events happened in the house witnessed by myself and once the cat but frustratingly never by Dan:

Another night when Dan was out the ceiling to the spare room shook violently as did the front room window and it sounded as if someone was in the spare room stamping as if throwing a toddler tantrum though they must have been considerably bigger than a toddler. This was followed by immediately by Dan's return. In case it was some effect caused by him coming through the fron door (which he said he did perfectly normally) I re-enacted ths several times slamming the door and clanging and banging as loud as I dared but producing no such effect.

Early one morning when Dan was in bed I was in the kitchen and just the one corner of the kitchen shook. This was witnessed by the cat who looked up from her food to stare at the corner of the kitchen but was otherwise unphased. This of course could have been some kind of very localised earth tremour or vibration.

Dan has occasional bouts of insomnia and so one night I retreated to the spare room to get some sleep without being disturbed by him. I didn't stay there long as I had a feeling that I was squashing someone on the bed and was intruding in their personal space. This was not at all scary it just felt as if I was being very rude and out of common decency should leave.

I was sorting things out in the spare room and had heaps of magazines piled up on the bed. Just as I first thought to myself that I hoped nothing strange happened as I was in the spare room at night and Dan was out a book slammed very loudly onto the floor behind me. This was quite inevitable really considering the pile on the bed, it was the timing that spooked me!

At about 5.00 am one morning when I was already awake I heard the sound of rustling carrier bags. There was no draft and it sounded as if someone was quietly nosing though them individually rather than they were being rustled by the breeze.

I can't recall whether the carrier bag rustiling happened after the footsteps or before but the other incidents happened after and may or may not have been affected by my imagination after the footsteps! I had never had any spooky thoughts about the house before the footsteps.

Dan never heard or saw anything and his opinion is that Iall this strangeness has a logical explanation though he knows I am convinced I heard footsteps etc.

We now live in a Victorian mid terrace house where there is far more noise from central heating pipes neighbours etc and it is of course older but it has a much more comfortable atmosphere in that I no longer feel I am intruding and that Dan, the cat and I are not the only occupants of the house! Nothing at all strange has happened here!

Sorry this is such a long post but I have quite a lot to relate.

Your thoughts on this would be most welcome!

weellllll......

its strange these things never happened whilst ur hubby was in the house at the time :shock: ....do u think...and this is a long shot..you have a polterguist who is afraid of dan perhaps a lady polterguist that only feels comfertable roaming free when your alone.. or maybe it just liked your energy????

its just strange how they footsteps seem to run away not long b4 dan was home...

i dunno its strange... scary none the less..

sorry i was not much help...

intersting story tho.. :D

Probably if this was me I would have been too scared to even go in the spare room. It is possible there could be a non-supernatural explaination though. The footsteps and banging could have been from the neighbours house even though it didn't seem to come from there, I have had an experience like that before.
Also possibly there could have been an animal living in the spare room which knocked over the book and tried to climb in some carrier bags etc.

Probably if this was me I would have been too scared to even go in the spare room. It is possible there could be a non-supernatural explaination though. The footsteps and banging could have been from the neighbours house even though it didn't seem to come from there, I have had an experience like that before.
Also possibly there could have been an animal living in the spare room which knocked over the book and tried to climb in some carrier bags etc.

At about 5.00 am one morning when I was already awake I heard the sound of rustling carrier bags. There was no draft and it sounded as if someone was quietly nosing though them individually rather than they were being rustled by the breeze.
I suspect this was probably your cat, or maybe house mice. (My own pet rats take great delight in nosing through plastic bags if they ever escape into the kitchen).

great story but i'm amazed you managed to stay there for that long, i probably would been bricking it the whole time!

i think most of it could be put down to natural explanations, ie the bags rustling could have been your cat, i know that mine love having a rummage or maybe a fight with our stock of carrier bags esp when i'm on the phone or asleep. is it possible that anxiousness about being in the house alone could have caused some of the experiences or amplified them which could explain why they stopped when your hubby arrived home? also did you have any kind of uncomfortable feelings about the house before moving in?

it is odd that the footsteps and other phenom stopped when hubby came home. if all normal explanations are exhausted then maybe, just maybe, you had a ghostly admirer. i myself have roots in Herefordshire, the sentient persons there are weird enough without having a dead native of the countycreeping around the house! ;)

devil_girl1 said:
its strange these things never happened whilst ur hubby was in the house at the time :shock: ....do u think...and this is a long shot..you have a polterguist who is afraid of dan perhaps a lady polterguist that only feels comfertable roaming free when your alone.. or maybe it just liked your energy????

its just strange how they footsteps seem to run away not long b4 dan was home...

Some of the events definitely seemed to be connected to Dan coming home almost as if they were a reaction to it. The footsteps seemed more like the heavy ones of a man than a woman though.

spiritdoctor said:
The footsteps and banging could have been from the neighbours house even though it didn't seem to come from there, I have had an experience like that before.

The footsteps were in the wrong place to have come from the neighbours coming distinctly from above the front room on the side of the house with no neighbours and I don't think the ceiling shaking and rattling window was from the neighbours either that definitely originated from the same place. We hardly had any noise from the neighbours at all. Though the origins of sound and vibrations can definitely be deceptive at times. I don't think an animal would have knocked the book off I think the laws of gravity did that with perfect timing but it certainly possible that a mouse could have been rustling through the bags.

Would love to hear about your experience.

graylien said:
I suspect this was probably your cat, or maybe house mice. (My own pet rats take great delight in nosing through plastic bags if they ever escape into the kitchen).

This certainly wasn't the cat as she is shut in the kitchen when we go to bed as otherwise she wakes me up at 4.00 am wanting feeding! It could have been a mouse though.

moderndayyorkist said:
is it possible that anxiousness about being in the house alone could have caused some of the experiences or amplified them which could explain why they stopped when your hubby arrived home? also did you have any kind of uncomfortable feelings about the house before moving in?

it is odd that the footsteps and other phenom stopped when hubby came home. if all normal explanations are exhausted then maybe, just maybe, you had a ghostly admirer. i myself have roots in Herefordshire, the sentient persons there are weird enough without having a dead native of the countycreeping around the house! ;)

I was anxious about being alone in the house after I heard the footsteps (especially as Dan was working away occasional weekends) But I wasn't nervous before the footsteps and never have been since we moved away. I ended up not wanting to sleep there alone and this could certainly have amplified my sensitivity to and perception of events being spooky rather than just a bit unusual but I don't think it was the cause of them.

Herefordshire certainly has its share of 'unusal inhabitants' of a flesh and blood kind especially in some of the market towns! But that's a whole different topic of conversation of quite possibly fortean nature! I think that even in Hereford no one would be wierd enough to creep into a house , fall asleep for hours then forget they were supposed to be quiet and start walking around! Then again??!

No uncomfortable feelings about the house at all when we moved in it was inhabited by lager drinking students which made us both feel very much at home as the place stank of lager and I immediately had a really good feeling about it! Although bizarrely I did dream a couple of times before the move that we had moved into a haunted house! Maybe I've been reading 'it happened to me' too much.

Would love to think it was a ghostly adimirer, I love that idea!

Things that go bump (in the spare room)

You don't say whereabouts you live; do you know if you have a branch of the Underground running beneath your house?

I know it's a long shot, since you would be well aware of any such vibrations before now, as they would be very regular.

Also - do you have a gas boiler in the kitchen on the wall: this week mine made a violent banging noise for no reason at all and vibrating - it sounded like there was a crow in there trying to get out! Otherwise it seemed fine afterwards - air in the pipes maybe. Worth checking out?

I find it interesting that your cat, although remarking the tremor in the kitchen, does not otherwise seem at all spooked. They are normally very sensitive to this sort of thing, so that I think is an encouraging sign.

Maybe you do have a benign but very shy poltergeist, if it doesn't manifest when Dan is around.

If you have another experience, why not try introducing yourself and asking if 'they' want to say something - leave a pen and paper in an obvious place: you never know...

Good luck - I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks for your reply Pearl_Knight.

There's no underground in Hereford where I lived its s small provincial city thats more like a large town in between Wales and the West Midlands. Iincidently we have moved away now so too late to take any action. I wish I'd posted at the time!

The boiler was located at the far end of the kitchen from the vibrating so I don't think it could have been that. It was too early in the morning for the neighbours to be hoovering or anything but did occur on the side of the house adjoiined by the neighbours though what they could be doing to produce a vibration like that at that time I dread to think!

I did think that if it was a ghost or poltergeist I could try to communicate with it but was far too scared of getting a reply!! It was the fear of being frightened really rather than the fear of the object of the fear which is perverse I know!

I always thought if it was something like that it was quite benign, I never felt threatened just spooked by the strangeness of it. In fact I thought if anything it was Dan it didn't like as it seemed to react to him coming home especially when it seemed to stamp that one time. I wish Dan had witnessed some of it as he is a staunch sceptic when it comes to this kind of thing although once there was the sound of a bedroom door shutting and we both just looked at each other with a 'what the hell ....?' expression on.

Interesting you mentioned the cat's reaction. She actually was drawn to the spare room from the moment we moved in, in fact we used to jokingly call it her room and she was often to be seen trotting out of it!

I kind of wish now I hadn't been so scared but on your own late at night with something you know you've heard but can't adequately explain its a different matter!

yeahno said:
Would love to hear about your experience.

Okay then, here goes.

When I was a child we only had one bathroom downstairs opposite the living room.

One day my parents had guests over after I was in bed and I wanted to go downstairs to the toilet but I was afraid of going passed the living room when there were strange people there. (well I was quite young).

I tiptoed to the top of the stairs making as little sound as I possibly could hoping I could go to the bathroom and back in a completly silent way so that no one would open the living room door. When I was at the top of the stairs I thought -this is silly, why don't I just walk downstairs in a normal way? So I started walking down the stairs making normal amounts of noise. As soon as I did this my father slammed the living room door open like a madman and shot out the front door like a bullet.

I was scared that something seemed to be wrong and ran back to bed.

The next day they were telling everyone this ghost story about how they were minding the neighbours house when they were on holiday and heard foootsteps in the living room nextdoor and how my dad rushed round immediately and searched the house but there was no one there. And how they couldn't possibly have got in or out because everything was locked etc. and how a group of several people witnessed the foootsteps, blah and nothing was taken or disturbed.

I think the also told the neighbours when they came back which probably worried them unneccessarily.

When they repeat this story and someone asks if it could have been the children they always go - No! No! the children were all in bed asleep! We checked! - which they did but I was awake, they asked me if I had got out of bed but I said no because I thought I would get in trouble for it. Then of course later I didn't want to tell the truth because I thought I would be in trouble over lying the first time. Which is just how your mind works when your that age.

I don't understand why they thought the footsteps came from the neighbours house rather than the top of the stairs. They always claim that the footsteps definitely came from the neighbours living room and all the people who were there agreed that was where the sound came from. I have never felt able to tell them the truth even as an adult and they still think that this was either a ghost or an unexplained mystery. Its difficult because they only ever bring this story up in the middle of a dinner party and I don't want to spoil it for them.

And well I'm a bit embarrassed really, its quite a lot of drama over someone needing the toliet.

Code:

spiritdoctor said:
And well I'm a bit embarrassed really, its quite a lot of drama over someone needing the toliet.

Haha, great story! Kind of reminds of 'The Night The Ghost Got In', by
James Thurber!

Wonderful story spiritdoctor! I don't think you should spoil it for them and they'd be a tad embarassed after all those years of telling the tale!! Something for all us late night strange noise hearers to be reassured by.

Footsteps can be very difficult to place. They depend on the direction of the rafters, for one thing.

Your experience sounds remarkably like something that happened to a chap I used to know. He'd just bought a house, and he was doing some work on it before he moved in. He was incredibly spooked to hear footsteps crossing the bedroom every night at about the same time, and an odd swishing noise. Sometimes, he was even in the room at the time.

One evening, he happened to be standing outside at the usual time, when, for one reason or another, he happened to look up at the bedroom window at the right time. He saw his next door neighbour walk towards the window and close the bedroom curtains. So that was the noise he was hearing every night - his neighbour closing the bedroom curtains ;)

When he got all his furniture in place, carpet and whatnot, and moved it around, he found that placing it in certain areas stopped the echo effect.

My mother suffers a similar thing since one of her neighbours put laminate flooring upstairs. It sounds for all the world, at times, like someone stomping across her bedroom floor.

Back