• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd News: John Cravens Newsround & Other Sources

llkit

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
when i was about nine(roughly 1888/89). i saw an edition of john cravens newsround which featured some bizarre disaster. When i asked my friend the next day if they had seen it- no one had, or had even heard of the odd disaster. Sadly i cannot remember what the disaster was.

Has anything similar happened to anyone else?

yes, on the night of princess diana's death i swear down that at one point, around 3-4 in the morning, a reporter stated "this is lord lucan, reporting for the bbc" I watched bbc news for the rest of the night and lo and behold, no lord lucan. But i still swear it happened.

llkit said:
when i was about nine(roughly 1888/89). i saw an edition of john cravens newsround which featured some bizarre disaster. When i asked my friend the next day if they had seen it- no one had, or had even heard of the odd disaster. Sadly i cannot remember what the disaster was.

Blimey 1888! Never knew he had been at it that early! Maybe he was reporting on Jack the Ripper.

The only other disaster that comes to mind with John Craven was his jumpers in the 70s.

:)

The only one I remember is around 87/88 I was watching Wogan and one of his guests without warning started on a rant about AIDS. Within a few seconds of him starting the BBC stopped transmitting and I just got static, all of the other channels were fine. About a minute later it came back, with no reference or message to say what had just happened, and it wasn't mentioned ever, not even in the next day's papers.

When all that business was going on in Iraq last year, I saw an advert for the news saying that Bin Laden had been captured. The news was on half an hour later, lo and behold, we were merely bombing them.

I thought I might be going mad, but my housemate at the time saw it too. It was very strange indeed.

Mr Snowman said:
When all that business was going on in Iraq last year, I saw an advert for the news saying that Bin Laden had been captured. The news was on half an hour later, lo and behold, we were merely bombing them.

I thought I might be going mad, but my housemate at the time saw it too. It was very strange indeed.

i remember being up late one night and there was an advert on for gmtv stating that it looked like bin laden had been captured and to keep viewing. of course come 6am nothing and not even a retraction. one of the rare times i have bothered to watch gmtv as it is so crap :)

llkit said:

YES! I "remember" as a very young child seeing an edition of John Craven's Newsround (again!) where they'd discovered some Sauropod-like dinosaurs in Africa. I can even remember what the footage looked like, with large, light grey elephantine dinosaurs eating leaves off trees, seemingly tended by stereotypical black African tribesmen in grass skirts. I can even remember the tribesman seemed really happy and was smiling, and the dinosaurs had bizarrely flat faces.

Obviously a dream, but it seemed really real!

Maybe you were watching some other programme that showed a scene from John Craven's Newsround a part of the plot, like a comedy or a drama. Then you flicked channels before the main programme came back.

I remember one wild news report at about 4am new years day some years ago.The story was a fellow had jumped in a lions enclosure (in Russia i think) brandishing a chicken in each hand.One of the lions took umbridge at being disturbed,after a heavy new years eve night out I shouldn't wonder and leapt on the man.It seemingly took a bite of his head before mauling him about.There were around ten people in the room with me at the time and everyone was amazed at what was happening on the screen.It was very graphic.The rest of the days reports showed only the fellow laying on the ground with a lion 'near' him.As you would imagine accusations of too much 'happy juice' were leveled at my attempts to tell the tale as I'd seen it.

On the John Cravens news round subject.Was it perhaps April the first???
The regular news shows used to have more fun with strange reports on 'fools day'than they have recently.I recall a story of dinosaurs in london complete with 'secret footage' of a T-rex in the storys featured scientists garden.

When I was a wee kiddie in the late 70's / early 80's I remember watching John Craven's Newsround reading a report of Michael Crawford being abducted by a UFO. I mentioned it to my friends at primary school at the time but no-one else had seen it.. Never heard anything since either..

:confused:

i remember a story about spiderman being shot on newsround years ago, later realised it was john lennon who was shot, dunno how such things were mixed up but at 4 years old pictures of new york obviously meant spiderman to me.

Very OT, but back in my university days when I had the willingess and vim to stay up until the wee hours, I caught the first new bulletin of the day from East Midlands today on BBC1 (at about 6am). Now, as soon as the woman came on screen, I knew that she had had a far heavier night than I, as she was ghostly white and slurring like the fabled slurr-beast of Dar es Salaam. What was even funnier was that about 2 minutes into the bulletin, she started stuttering and promptly honked up all over her newsdesk, and then the screen went dark. The usual 'apologies for the interruption in transmission' message appeared, and ten minutes later normal service resumed!

I had to laugh, really!

As far as I remember I think it made a tiny column in the Independant, but that was about it.. but the memory will remain etched in my mind forever.

OK, carry on!

Re: Re: John cravens newsround

Evilsprout said:
YES! I "remember" as a very young child seeing an edition of John Craven's Newsround (again!) where they'd discovered some Sauropod-like dinosaurs in Africa. I can even remember what the footage looked like, with large, light grey elephantine dinosaurs eating leaves off trees, seemingly tended by stereotypical black African tribesmen in grass skirts. I can even remember the tribesman seemed really happy and was smiling, and the dinosaurs had bizarrely flat faces.

Obviously a dream, but it seemed really real!

There was a Disney(?) film in the 80s about a young surviving dinosaur in africa - don't remember the name of the film but I'm sure its the sort of thing that would've been mentioned on Newsround - maybe its this you remember?

Back in 1981, when Ronald Reagan was shot, I distinctly saw footage of one of his secret service agents pulling an Uzi out from under his suit jacket. By the end of the day, that particular image was gone.

And it does seem that the radio news in the wee hours had some odd stories. I can't recall any particualr story off hand, but I know that over the years, I've heard some pretty odd reports. And waiting patiently for teh next newscast is usually a waste of time. Maybe the big bosses are in by then and the newscasters don't want to upset them?

Of course, it could auditory hypnogogic hallucinations.

Sometimes things are too peculiar for words. I dreamt last week of Qe2's death, Charles's ascendancy and subsequent abdication in the light of something he couldn't cope with, and the ascending to the throne of someone who would renounce his known name, for Henri.

I recall as similar experience from years ago when the World Trade Centre was attacked that time (no, not *that* time) with a bomb in an underground car park.
My friend swore he heard that the WTC was on fire on the radio news in the morning, and we avidly watched TV news and listened to the radio all day but there was absolutely no mention of it. This was before any of us had net access (I think we were students so it is ten years ago-ish, but it might have been more recently, my memory is dreadful). Obviously we all thought the one person who had heard this news had made it up or dreamed it or whatever but he was adamant.

It was only in the aftermath of the more famous WTC attack that I first heard anything else about the event of a decade previous, and there was news footage etc.

I have no idea whether we collectively hallucinated a lack of news coverage at the time (and I for one hallucinated plenty when I was a student!), or if our media skills were just really that poor, or whether the event was just not widely reported, or if it was some sinister conspiricy ... or a time slip to the future ..... or .....but it was very odd.

lizard23 said:
I recall as similar experience from years ago when the World Trade Centre was attacked that time (no, not *that* time) with a bomb in an underground car park.

lizard23
That was in 1993, and it got tremendous coverage here in the USA at the time. Maybe it was bad media skills, maybe your news outlets felt that they had better stories.

Re: Re: Re: John cravens newsround

pi23 said:
There was a Disney(?) film in the 80s about a young surviving dinosaur in africa - don't remember the name of the film but I'm sure its the sort of thing that would've been mentioned on Newsround - maybe its this you remember?

That's possible, I'd have been five at the time and therefore prone to mistaking fact from fiction...

Re: .......

Diabolik said:
When I was a wee kiddie in the 70's I remember watching John Craven's Newsround as he told viewers of Michael Crawford being abducted by a UFO. I mentioned it to my friends at primary school at the time but no-one else had seen it.. Never heard anything since either..

:confused:

The same thing happened to me, except that Michael Crawford had drowned in a swimming pool wearing a deep-sea suit!
So, it confused me more when "Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em" was still being made!

hedgewizard said:
Back in 1981, when Ronald Reagan was shot, I distinctly saw footage of one of his secret service agents pulling an Uzi out from under his suit jacket. By the end of the day, that particular image was gone.

I saw that too, i know it really happened because I remember somebody commenting 'Where the f*ck did that come from??'

I remember watching the early footage of the Hatfield train crash in the UK in 2000 on Sky News, it was probably about an hour after it happened and all you could hear on the footage were dozens upon dozens of moble phines ringing in the wreckage as people desperately tried to contact loved ones...it was truly horrible, made me sob....later bulletins had the sound track taken off thankfully.

My memory has him pulling the Uzi out of a briefcase.

Going off topic slightly, I remember years ago listening to Pink Floyd's album Atomic Heart Mother at a friend's house and being particularly smitten with the song If. It went around in my head for days and the only line I could remember was 'If I were a boat I'd be sailing', which I thought was a great line. Of course when I got my hands on a copy of the album ages later the line wasn't in the song and never had been. Still think it was a great line though.

John Craven's Newsround broke the news of the Challenger space shuttle disaster as it was the only British news programme on the air at the time, in 1986.

I remember watching the Grand National once, and the commentator said a jockey had swerved "to avoid a dead horse". On the replay in the evening they cut that bit out, funny that.

Back