• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ogopogo (Lake Monster; Okanagan Lake; British Columbia)

Ogopogo said:
Tangy, I'm so glad Mr. Pilkington send me a personal e-mail asking me not to acknowledge you anymore. I won't.

His e-mail was vaguely threatening. I'm sure you'll get yours soon.

Have a nice day, Fortean brother!

actually now i'm more interested in where you gvot your current signiture from now.

Ogopogo said:
Tangy, I'm so glad Mr. Pilkington send me a personal e-mail asking me not to acknowledge you anymore. I won't.

His e-mail was vaguely threatening. I'm sure you'll get yours soon.

Have a nice day, Fortean brother!

actually now i'm more interested in where his previous post went to.

Dippy, My inbox is empty btw, usually the people who are being flamed dont get the same treatment as the people doing the flaming.

Ok, I'm getting really tired of these news stories that refrence video evidence, and then don't provide the [insert profanity]:mad: [/insert profanity] video!

yeah im getting pretty tired of it as well. i bet they dont show any of it unless of couse you buy it for a stupid amount of money at some auction.:hmph:

Indeed. Most informative.

So without further ado I invite you to view the following graphics and information of our search. As this is an ongoing expedition and search we will update this area with new information and photos as they become available.

Bill.jpg

Is this the first time that a lake monster (or other cryptid, for that matter) has been filmed by a professional film crew?

I thought that the coelocanth was caught by a fishing boat...not filmed.

i think it was caught then filmed. can any one help the newbies?

But catching an unknown animal, having said animal in grasp and tangible evidence that it exists THEN filming it is much different than an animal not proven to exist and widely accepted as myth being caught on professional-grade film by professional camera operators.

oops yep i forgot about that. so i dont think any cryptid has been filmed by a professional crew before this.:confused:

Well, then...now we'll see how good the quality of the film is. Maybe it's just the beginning of proof.

That's my optimistic side. My sarcastic, bitter, and cynical side says, "Thanks for the footage, you hacks...let's toss this on the pile with the other fuzzy footage, anonymous reports, and blurry photographs for rotting logs."

yep i hope this isnt the same let down that the lake van monster was. well im going to bed in hope that the film turns up soon. bye!

From the first link posted:

A 30-minute video called The Legend Hunters: The Search for Ogopogo is scheduled to go on sale at the end of the month for .95 through the http://www.seesya.com Web site.

Looks like the only way we are going to see this footage is by buying the video or when someone 'rips' parts off of it & posts them. Sounds suspect to me as true proof, even though they do state that it wasn't 'staged'.

Buzzor,

What's the "let-down" with the Lake Van monster? Was it proven a hoax? I saw the footage on CNN and never heard anything more about it.

i say it was a let down because you didnt get to see any good proof of its existence, just a small hump in the water

Ogopogo: the undiscovered mammal?

I've finished reading both the first section of John Kirk's 1998 book, "In the Domain of the Lake Monsters" and the chapter called "Canadian Lake Monsters" in Roy Mackal's 1980 book, "Searching for Hidden Animals. Roy Mackal makes an excellent case for Ogopogo being the descendants of a prehistoric whale called Basilosaurus cetoides. Among the arguments he uses are the frigid water they inhabit, their bilobate and horizontal tail flukes, undulation during locomotion, and the fact that people often say that the animals have hair on their backs. In spite of Basilosaurus being a near-perfect candidate in terms of morphology, John Kirk disagrees with Dr. Mackal in stating that any warm-blooded air breather would not be so hard to get sightings of. That makes perfect sense, but Kirk is going against an otherwise perfect candidate. Does this argument really rule out mammals? I've been a freshwater fisherman for over ten years and I've seen more snapping turtles and fish make obliging appearances on the surface than beavers, otters, and muskrats combined. I don't know why this is, but could the reason these small aquatic animals show a paradoxical trend of the mammals being more elusive also apply to large aquatic animals?

Any ideas on Ogopogo identity?

I wanted to get some feedback on what sort of "monsters" my fellow cryptozoology enthusiasts think are living in Lake Okanagan of British Columbia. Here's what I know about them from reading "In the Domain of the Lake Monsters":

1. They grow up to 70 feet in length and are serpentine in shape.
2. Their bodies tend to flex vertically like a marine mammal's during locomotion.
3. They thrive in and seem to prefer cold water as these undulating lake serpents seem to be ubiquitous in cold climates but not in temperate or tropical regions.

So what did I just describe? The supposedly extinct sub-order of serpentine whales known as Archaeoceti seems to be the best source for an ancestral candidate, but since they would need and want more excercise than any cold-blooded monster and could only remain submerged for minutes rather than hours (or indefinitely for a gilled Ogopogo), are we forced to choose a non-mammalian creature and propose that it came to resemble an archaeocete through convergent evolution? If so, what is the best animal for the job?

Of course, we could propose a supernatural Ogopogo. After all, many cryptids that we automatically assume to be animals were considered not to be by earlier peoples of the regions they are said to inhabit. If people aren't allowed to float around on Okanagan in a fully-equipped whaling vessel to do you-know-what, what's the advantage of discrediting a supernatural Ogopogo that can't be slain out of the realm of faith?

Then again, is unbelief still an option? No sense in speculating on the identity of something that doesn't exist.

I have to warn you that discussing the identity of a member of these forums is... Ah! Never mind; carry on!

Niles ":eek:" Calder

Seeing all the evidence (especilly that old film taken from a hill top--It is a big sea snake type of creature -it seems to feed close to shore or sort of heards up its food-so maybe like you said a "combo" type off-shoot of "zuegulodon", because I always thought that same thing -if these puppies are prehistoric whale like creatures -they would be seen more-but....Still alot of sightings are of Sturgeon I belive also those things (fish) acount (I believe) for a hell of alot of reports...A giant eel is always a really good possibility next..because they always seem to find bigger eels all the time -you'ed think after all these years -some anwsers would be forth coming ..I think that so much is left untested and alot of folks just don't want to find these things (like bigfoot) cause of the money thats made looking?

I find the zeuglodon identity to be the most plausible and best suited for the reports. if a coelocanth can survive why can't a zeuglodon?

Ogopogo Sighting

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/news/story.html?id=1c02b2df-492b-4d6c-8f0f-63c633bdfa0e
Woman claims Ogopogo sighting

Broadcast News

Friday, June 04, 2004

VERNON, B.C. - A woman in Vernon is sure she's seen the legendary Ogopogo monster in Okanagan Lake.

Debbie Gelter says earlier this week she heard a loud bang on the water, then saw three long, shiny, black humps about five metres long.

She notes there were no boats nearby at the time.

It was the second time in recent weeks that she's seen something bizarre in the lake.

Gelter says two weeks ago she saw a dinosaur-shaped head and neck moving through the water.

Sightings of large, unidentified creatures in the lake date back to the 1800s.

Family videos what could be Ogopogo

By SERINA PARSONS Special to The Daily Courier

A video showing a long, writhing shape in Okanagan Lake is being investigated as a possible Ogopogo sighting

John Casorso and his family rented a houseboat to spend some quiet time on the lake, but ended up with intriguing video footage of something mysterious in the water

On Aug. 9, at 7:30 a.m., he said the houseboat started rocking back and forth fiercely. The rocking woke up the family, who ventured to the top deck to see what was happening. When Casorso reached the deck, he said he was shocked to see something swimming away from the boat. "The only reason we noticed it is because it passed underneath the houseboat," said Casorso. "We could really feel the power and size of what it was." Casorso acted quickly, retrieving his video camera to get footage of the creature. He has a total of approximately 15 minutes of video footage that clearly shows a calm lake, no boat movement and a long, dark hump rising above the water

Casorso said what he saw looked to be about 15 metres long, and there may have been more than one

"It seemed like, on one occasion, there was at least one parallel to the larger one and at least one behind it," he said. "It couldn't have been a wave because it wasn't dissipating. It remained in the same area for over 10 minutes." Asked why he decided to wait so long to let the public know about his sighting, Casorso said he took the advice of local Ogopogo expert Arlene Gaal

"I showed her, and she said we should take it slow," said Casorso. "I also didn't want to rush into it too quickly because over the years lots of people have gotten pictures or footage and the response is not always favourable." Gaal, a chronicler of Ogopogo sightings and an author on the subject, said she believes Casorso has an interesting video and has caught on tape what many people believe to be Ogopogo

"I feel that John has some really good footage that adds to solving the puzzle and mystery of Ogopogo," said Gaal. According to Gaal, there have been nine reported sightings this year, and she suspects there have been more that were not reported due to the ridicule factor surrounding such a story

Casorso also followed Gall's advice to copyright the video

He showed it to a few friends first, to get their opinion, and said he enjoyed seeing their reactions. "One thing I like about the video is that it's poor quality at first, but then it gets very clear and people always say, `Wow, what is that?' when they realize there is more there than just wave," Casorso said

Janet Courtney was one of the people to see the video, and she says it's convincing

"I believe anything is possible," said Courtney. "But after seeing the video, I'm convinced that there is something there, for sure." Daily Courier news editor Jon Manchester said he's usually skeptical about Ogopogo sightings, but was perplexed after viewing Casorso's video. "I don't know how to describe it . . . I know I saw something, I don't know what, and it was more than a log floating in the water. It's by far the most convincing Ogopogo evidence I've ever seen." Casorso has lived in the Okanagan all his life and always thought there was some merit to the Ogopogo legend

"I would always carry on with my kids that we would see Ogopogo," said Casorso. "We were pretty excited when something actually happened because you never expect to actually see it." Ogopogo is the subject of the Sci-Fi channel's Proof Positive on Dec. 1 at 8 p.m.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/archive/2004/10/22/stories/6833_full.php4?latest_date=2004/10/22

Ogopogo?

Hi All.. I've just been reading the Breaking News section on the FT homepage and I was very interested in the Ogopogo story. I've never heard of this beastie before and I can find almost nothing about it on the web.. I thought there might be an old thread on here about it - but no. Unless I'm just crap - which is not impossible. I'm new to all this message board lark!

So can anyone give me a bit more info about this? I'm from Northern Ireland and I've visited Scotland several times and I have to say I've become a firm Nessie believer! :D

Re: Ogopogo?

Leona said:
I thought there might be an old thread on here about it - but no. Unless I'm just crap - which is not impossible. I'm new to all this message board lark!

The search page is the best place to start digging (not very handy for anything les than 4 letters like UFO, etc.):

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/search.php

Searching for "Ogopogo" gave your post first and the main Ogopogo thread second - I've now merged them both.

[edit: You aren't helped though by the fact we have a member called Ogopogo ;) ]

Back