• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

oh funny ha ha ...

A

Anonymous

:roll: Anyway, this happened about 2 months ago. I had just got back from a fantastic vacation hiking and fishing with my dad in BC (Canada). Was great to get back to nature, relax, etc. Anyway, so I decide to do a bit of art when I get home to the big city (Toronto) that's been inspired by my trip. Since it was October and the salmon were running I reckoned my first attempt should be at a spawning salmon, kind of "first nations" looking in style (interested can request pic of now finished work).

So it's the night before I have to return back to my dreaded job when I decide to whip together a sketch of what the fish should look like then I'm off to bed. My studio is in the kitchen and my kitchen/living is kind of open concept. I'm tossing and turning in bed, not getting any sleep, thinking about returning to my (did I say dreaded?) corporate job when about 2:30 or so (I remember checking the clock out of frustration) ... I had kind of nodded off when I hear this "pop" sound from the kitchen / living area. I figured it was one of the cats into something, so I cursed them. Eventually fell asleep.

Got up in the morning and went to the kitchen and there was my little piggy-bank statuette of Colonel Sanders (which up until around 2:30 am had been on a shelf surrounded by a fruit bowl, a candle, a vase and a jade plant, right at the back cozied up againt the wall) on the floor about 2 meters away from his original standing place. I looked at it dumbfounded. Looked back at the shelf where he used to stand. Looked again at the Colonel grinning maniacly (oh, his usual look, for those unfamiliar) back at me from where he's laying now, on his back, in my living room.

Theories I've debunked:

cat - no way could have dislodged the Colonel without anything else tumbling down from the shelf. i repeat, no way.

wind - um, not likely, would have had to be a very highly targeted blast and it's a ways from the window (3.5 meters). a blast like that would have not been quite so selective on the way across the room

Can you think of any other possibilities? It had been on the shelf quite contented for many months. Oh, and it's no longer on any shelf. It's in landfill unless someone rescued it, which I doubt.

Theories I've not debunked:

spirit - figured maybe the 'salmon spirit' was taking a jab at my fast food idol : ) I'd say there's a sense of humour!

Since this incident I've approached my work with native design with much more reverence. I've started the raven now, with not so much as the odd cabinet door opened or bicycle falling over, but I do have cats so ... everything is cool so far.

Thought you might enjoy my true story.

Love this message board. New poster, avid reader.

Cheers![/img]

Good Question

Hello It was some kind of 25th anniversary edition plastic thing. Not an old object, and given to me by a friend to whom I don't ascribe many Fortean qualities :lol:

skrewyartist said:
Can you think of any other possibilities?

Do you ever sleep-walk? I've done some odd stuff when asleep and only found out in the morning.

allo

intriguing, but i have no history of sleepwalking and i distinctly remember hearing it land on the floor from my bedroom

I don't really have any opinions on it, except to say I don't see why the trip would have anything to do with it, really. I would say it was probably a coincidence of time unless you felt anything that particularly made you sense it was related.

What I would like to know, though, as a fellow resident of Hogtown is what general area of the city do you live in? I always like to keep tabs on areas of possible supernatural phenomena in the T dot. Not that I do anything with the information, I just like to know. I don't live too far away from the dreaded 'underground monkey man' of the late 1970's, which is a bit of a thrill, still haven't gone looking for him yet, maybe when the weather gets better . . .

-Fitz

p.s. also, I see you just joined the boards today . . . WELCOME!

Maybe I'm not visualizing your piggy bank/shelf set-up properly, but I'm not sure why it can't simply be a case of entropy (a. k. a. the law of disorder) in action -- that is to say that, things in a state of rest, over a period of time, may briefly transfer its 'energies' into a state of motion -- especially if, say, it were given a helping hand the downward pull of gravity?

Polterdog.

You may want to check for smaller critters than cats. When I was younger there was an unexplained spate of ceramic figurine assassinations in my basement. A monkey, a cute little cow, a squirrel - all pushed off their surfaces onto the concrete floor. Turned out to be chipmunks or mice. Started suddenly, lasted a few days, and stopped suddenly. With your having been gone for a time, the little guys might have ventured into the house. However, it still doesn't explain their animosity...

I'm partial to the ghost-of-a-chicken theory. :lol:

However, I wouldn't put any strange feat past a cat. At least not mine, anyway. In my last apartment, there was a thin bookcase - about 18 inches wide, 5 feet tall, 8 inches deep - against a wall that had nothing else near it. I had a rectangular pot of shamrocks on the bookcase, which left maybe an inch around each side of it. At least six feet away was a wing-backed chair. My cat would climb on the back of the chair and you could see the concentration in her eyes as she desperately tried to work out how to get to those yummy shamrocks! But every time, a look of disappointment would cross her face - seriously! - you could see the very moment she realized her plan wasn't feasible.

One day I came home from work, and the tops were all gone off the shamrocks. The stems were still there; the pot was still on the bookcase, which was otherwise undisturbed. No spilled soil, no toppled books. And this was a wobbly bookcase that leaned a little out from the wall.

So clearly cats can do amazing things if they put their mind to it. :twisted:

Do your cats have claws? If so, might they have gripped the Col. Sanders bank and lifted it out of its place?

Possibly the hutchinson effect, natural yet intense electromagnetic fields....

Fitz, what's the underground monkey man? It almost sounds creepy... :eek!!!!:

The Yithian said:
skrewyartist said:
Can you think of any other possibilities?

Do you ever sleep-walk? I've done some odd stuff when asleep and only found out in the morning.

I was going to suggest this. same sort of thing has happened to me on occasion.
:D

Re: Good Question

Welcome to the FT boards, Skrewy!

Upon reading this, my first instinct was, where'd you get the Colonel bank!? I remember those from when I was a little girl and have not seen one in years. But then you said:

skrewyartist said:
Hello It was some kind of 25th anniversary edition plastic thing. Not an old object, and given to me by a friend to whom I don't ascribe many Fortean qualities :lol:

So that solves that mystery.

However, i have no idea how it got knocked to the floor. I would say it is something trying to get your attention. Perhaps even a forerunner. A common one is pictures falling off the wall. It is a warning of a death.

Yes what IS this monkey man?? I lived in the Rexdale area for about 6 months a few years back ( couldn't resist the urge to return to N.S.) but didn't have any supernatural experiences while I was there.

However, i have no idea how it got knocked to the floor. I would say it is something trying to get your attention. Perhaps even a forerunner. A common one is pictures falling off the wall. It is a warning of a death.

Whose death? The person who owns the picture, the person in the picture or what?

The picture falling off the wall is usually a forerunner of the death of someone you know. For example, let's say a secure picture on your wall just falls off for no rational reason right now. Many, many times a death of someone you know will occur soon thereafter.
To my knowledge, it is not a warning for the person in the picture or for the witness. It is usually someone else.

Now most people attribute this as being an old wives tale, but I have seen it happen and know lots of people it has happened to. And it is not the case of badly-hung pics. It's just a weird thing that happens. There are lots of forerunners that indicate an upcoming death, though. ( flashes of light, 3 knocks on the door or side of your house, a vision of the soon-to-be-dead).
The 3-knock thing happened in my family when I was young but that is a whole other thread.

It was just an idea I had that the Colonel Sanders bank toppling over with no obvious cause could be a forerunner. ( I hope it's not.)

That monkey-man is quite the story! First I heard of it....very interesting!!
(I am extra glad I am back in N.S. now....)

Maybe it was warning of a death of a chicken.

Either way, I don't think I'm going to be hanging pictures up any more. :eek!!!!:

Would love to hear the followup to this story, but I don't think the poster is hanging 'round the FTMB any more. :(

Back