• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

OH! oh! oh! Live action AKIRA

Can I just say:
"Produced by Leonardo Di Caprio"
"Set in new Manhattan financed by Japanese money"

It. Must. Be. Stopped. It will be truely awful.

Nah, Shinya Tsukamoto would be better.

Oh, why worry, most anime is a HK/US collabouration these days....

Hardly any is real Madeinjapan.

Actually a lot of manga and anime are made in korea. It's cheaper to get the staff apparently.

many_angled_one said:
Actually a lot of manga and anime are made in korea. It's cheaper to get the staff apparently.

I think not.

Kondoru said:
Oh, why worry, most anime is a HK/US collabouration these days....

Hardly any is real Madeinjapan.

The problem isn't with it being a US/Japan collaboration, it's that they're messing with the story and setting the film in Manhattan.

megadeth16 said:
many_angled_one said:

I think not.

I categorically state it is SO! Look at the credits for many japanese animes you will see many korean names because the Japanese studios farm out some of the animation for lots of shows to korean studios. Because it is cheaper.

In 2005 - "Two-thirds of the top Japanese animation studios outsource to Korea, according to the Korea Animation Producers Assn"
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 939013.htm

See also:
http://www.japanator.com/elephant/post.phtml?pk=6130

There does seem to have been a lot of non runners of late.

but that could be because we are seeing more, not just the good stuff, but the naff.

Thats the thing what do i get thats good and i was thinkin about geting the robotech Complete Saga Box Set boxset.

Is that as big as the Gatchaman box set (9 sets of three DVDs each...)

You have my deepest sympathy

Kondoru said:
Is that as big as the Gatchaman box set (9 sets of three DVDs each...)

You have my deepest sympathy

its has 14 dvds.

707077.jpg

i think the Gatchaman box sets needs to get a uk Release but i cant see that happing.

I think we need Gatch 2 and Gatch fighter as well. (only 100 more eps)

Lets wait for the movie first....

So is any one from the uk going to the london expo at at Excel im going and Warner Home Video are doing a special sneak peek of Appleseed ExMachina before its DVD release on 2 June.

Watched Akira last night for the first time, having had it on my list for years.

Awesome film, fully lived up to the hype and expectation and a true reminder of just how important a good story is.

Was actually thinking how brilliant it could be in live action, if done correctly. By correctly I mean in Japan with Japanese actors - but obviously with a Hollywood budget.

Can only imagine a US set version being as bad as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

has made me want to get a dog and call it Kaneda though so I can take it for walks and when it runs off stand and shout dramatically: "Kanedaaaaaaaaa!"

Takeshi Kitano did a decent job with Brother even though it was made in the US, but i'm told that Sony stumped up a lot of the finance for it, so perhaps there was a disincentive there for the studio to be interfering over much.

Back