• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Once the most haunted house in England.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know about what was once the "most haunted house in England"? I'm not talking Borley Rectory (although any or stories about Borley Rectory are most welcome.) I'm talking about a house in London, now a book shop dealing in old and rare books.
I've heard many stories about this place and about something so terrifying in the attic room that anyone who sees it goes mad or dies of fright.

Also an additional request, any news on the Enfield Poltergeist? The most investigated poltergeist but since the family moved out of the place what happened to them or the house? Any more stories of poltergeist, etc.

I apologise if these have been touched on in other threads and I just want this info out of interest.

Thank you in advance.

Some info on the Enfield case

Regarding the haunted bookshop - I think it has been discussed here before; I'll have a search this afternoon (unless someone else beats me to it).

Jane.

I think the place you are talking about was in one of the programmes on channel 5's dreadful ghost watch night.

Chingle Hall in Goosnargh, near Preston was once also dubbed 'Most haunted house in Britain.'

Thank you all for your posts...

It seems that 50 Berkely Square has stronger rumours and stories than ghosts. But the Enfield Poltergeist case interests me, especially as it was never proved 100% one way or the other. The photos of the flying girl and the other one screaming does look frightening but on closer inspection it does look a girl jumping out of bed.
Perhaps that's an idea for a TV production company, a follow up to the Enfield Case. Is the house still haunted? What happened to the family? Did the poltergeist (if there was one) follow the girls?

Once again, thank you all for all your information.
P.S. I don't mean for this message to end this thread.

James Whitehead said:
The explanation in the old Unexplained magazine was that the
house had been the den of criminals who did not mind if its weird
after-hours noises were interpreted as ghosts.

The explanation sounds suspiciously like Arnold Ridley's Ghost
Train which sounds suspiciously like one of R. L. Stevenson's South
Sea Tales. And no doubt like an ancient Japanese legend as
recounted by Lafcadio Hearne.

But to return to the place in question. One lady, sitting in a house
next door reported that she had received an electric-type shock
through the wall! :eek:

Citing another example here, for any who want to read it... William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki the Ghost Finder in "The House Among the Laurel's"

http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff4/laurels.htm

On an (tangentially) similar note: does anyone know anything about Pluckley in Kent? My dad brought me back a little pamphlet from the place when I was a kid in which it listed the manifold ghosts and other supposedly supernatural occurences which made it the most "haunted place in Britian". Most of them seemed pretty mundane, particularly when you compare them to the Enfield and Berkely Square stories, very much the kind of Borley Rectory "stately-home-country-pub-lady-in-white-wringing-hands-etc" kind of thing (and as a result a little bit duller to a seven-year-old than the terrifying Enfield/Berkely Square stories).

(Apologise if this has been discussed at length elsewhere but I'm sure some eagle-eyed board veteran will point us in the right direction)

Matt

PS A School Story by MR James is one of the best stories I have ever read, even if you take into consideration the schlocky over-elaboration of the Berkely Square accounts at the start (dressed up as a fireside shaggy-dog yarn). It's awesome.

Back