• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

One Punch Billy

A

Anonymous

Has anyone heard the legend of One Punch Billy who supposedly haunts the streets of Newcastle. There is a web site with this name at http://www.Onepunchbilly.co.uk but this relates to a football team in South Manchester. I don't know if there is a connection but its worth a look. I've sent an e-mail to the site asking about whether there is a connection to the legend but they have yet to reply. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I've not heard it but I'll ask me Da, who grew up in Elswick and seems to be a repository of Newcastle wierdness.

Me Da doesn't know anything about it but I've asked him to ask around, so fingers crossed...

I grew up in Newcastle and heard a lot of strange stories about the place but this one is new to me I'm afraid.
He may have been one of the 'Hell's Kitchen' crew, I'll see what I can dig up.

I've lived in the Newcastle area all my life, and I can't remember ever hearing of him. What have you heard?

Jaffasir,

Do you know any more about the apparition? How did he get his name? How does he manifest himself? If he does appear, can you sock him on the chin to make him go away? ;)

I think I've heard of this

I have heard the name One Punch Billy in relation to a Newcastle legend. The name William Hammond springs to mind, I'm not sure if this is him or just its just a coincidence, but he was notorious for being able to put someone out of action with just one punch, hence the name. My knowledge of this is fairly sketchy though, I dont know what part of Newcastle he was known in or how he died or even when he lived although I have a feeling it could have been the mid 1950s maybe early 60's.
Do you have any more information on this Jaffasir and if so does it resemble any of the above?

Just to clarify things, is it definitely Newcastle upon Tyne we're on about here?

Yep its definitely Geordie folk law, that much I do know.

I've vaguely heard of this before but its so obscure I'm surprised anyone knows about it at all. I dont know any back story about this so I cant confirm any of what Keith said but the stories concerning One Punch Billy's appearances seem to be hybrids of the Resurrection Mary, the Wandering Jew and Spring Heeled Jack type of tale. The story basically goes that on several occasions someone has reported being approached by a burley but sad looking man whose asked for the whereabouts of a female, whose name varies from telling to telling. This would be fairly mundane but the for the fact that all reports of these sightings mention an unaccountable and overwhelming sense of sadness during the encounter with this man. I also seem to recall that Billy only ever appeared to people who were'nt local to the area although I couldnt say which area of Newcastle that is. Thats about all I know unfortunately. I'd be curious to know whether this ties in to what Jaffasir and Keith had heard about the legend.

This is sort of what I heard, but rather than feeling sad, people who met Billy experienced blackouts, so they can only remember their encounter up to a point. I cant imagine this would have become a legend had people just felt sad when they him.

I have finally recieved a reply from the One Punch Billy web page. The lad who sent the message said he didnt know of the legend himself but one of his team mates did and he'll ask next time he see's him. So hopefully I'll be able to give a bit more information about what this legends all about.

Hi ther. There is a man from north shields in Newcastle with the name Billy one punch his name is Billy Wilson and used to work at swaN Hunters and is still around today he is a gentleman and in his time if people fought with him his name sed it all

Back