• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ooh-Err... Nasty House

Random bangings? Is that building completely empty, or is there anything in there (e.g. office equipment)?

Hey, this is quite exciting, you're our on the spot reporter. Those bangings, they couldn't be an old building relaxing at night, could it? My old house makes some funny noises at times.

This is great. Looking forward to the next installment (or hoping there is one, at least).

When this new building reopened the staff in the building next door complained that the staff in the new building were loud and noisy slamming doors etc. Of course the new staff weren't doing this. Those sounds sort of calmed down after about a fortnight.

This new/refurbished building is state of the art. I don't want to go into detail of it's purpose as I'm well known for my Fortean beliefs and it wouldn't take to much to figure out who I was should anyone take a look at this forum.

I also suspect I know who the unknown visitor is and I don't want anyone upset.

Naughty_Felid you are really spoiling us! :)

Write it up and make money!!!! please?

Yes, please let us know if you see anything when you can review the CCTV footage!
This sounds like the last place you'd want to meet an apparition. :eek:

As an aside, anyone else hear this thread title to the tune of Oops Upside Your Head by The Gap Band?

As an aside, anyone else hear this thread title to the tune of Oops Upside Your Head by The Gap Band?

No, but I do hear it to Ooh Aah Cantona!:D

Same tune! Er, anyway, back to the ghosts...

CreepyHouse.jpg

I've lived in several houses and flats over the years, probably about 15 or so, and had spooky experiences in a few of them, but there was one in France that my parents owned that I was absolutely terrified of. I've lived in places where people have died plenty of times (and am currently) and it hasn't bothered me the slightest, but this house, the previous owners had a sort of granny annex on the top floor where the father lived, and he'd passed away and they'd sold the place. It was an old stone building in the countryside.

Well I've never, ever been so petrified of a room... My bedroom was in his old quarters, and after one night up there I refused to sleep there anymore, and spent the nights on the sofa. It was the unmistakable feeling of being watched, and the knowledge that someone else was in there with me. I felt scrutinised the entire time I was in there, and could feel him staring. It felt like there was a thin veil between my seeing him and just sensing his presence - I knew he was there.

My mum slept on that bed at a later time and said she'd had a weird dream about a man standing at the foot of the bed, who was apparently concerned about her. Creepy.

Did you know about the death in the room beforehand or after you started getting creeped out?

The campus has been quite of late. Still I left my office building, (small place with half a dozen rooms), to do my rounds and came back into the building and noticed that a small interview room door was open.

Now I do an environmental security check on the place as we have some sensitive information and I'm 99% sure I didn't miss it. It's also impossible to walk along the corridor of my office as its immediately on your left and not notice that the door was open. Impossible. I had to pass it to leave the building.

Thing is I'm only at this office probably about two months during the year and this is about the 3rd time I've come across this door open.

Whilst I'm writing this I just heard the random crash again which I was just about to tell you about I heard it a couple of days ago.....

Hmm time to grab the torch and have a look around.

Last edited:
Done a round and nothing to report. A little unerving but I guess I must have missed it. That's freaky beacuse I would have seen it and I hate having doors left open as it makes me feel freaky.

Other staff have access to the building but nobody would have as no one apart from me is allowed to leave their work area at night.

I'm the only one allowed to roam the campus.

Last edited:
I've lived in several houses and flats over the years, probably about 15 or so, and had spooky experiences in a few of them, but there was one in France that my parents owned that I was absolutely terrified of. I've lived in places where people have died plenty of times (and am currently) and it hasn't bothered me the slightest, but this house, the previous owners had a sort of granny annex on the top floor where the father lived, and he'd passed away and they'd sold the place. It was an old stone building in the countryside.

Well I've never, ever been so petrified of a room... My bedroom was in his old quarters, and after one night up there I refused to sleep there anymore, and spent the nights on the sofa. It was the unmistakable feeling of being watched, and the knowledge that someone else was in there with me. I felt scrutinised the entire time I was in there, and could feel him staring. It felt like there was a thin veil between my seeing him and just sensing his presence - I knew he was there.

My mum slept on that bed at a later time and said she'd had a weird dream about a man standing at the foot of the bed, who was apparently concerned about her. Creepy.

I've no wish to hijack this thread, but you've just described an experience very, very much like something that happened to me and my (then) girlfriend.

Your holiday home wasn't in Burgundy, by any chance?? :eek:

I've no wish to hijack this thread, but you've just described an experience very, very much like something that happened to me and my (then) girlfriend.

Your holiday home wasn't in Burgundy, by any chance?? :eek:
I too had a similar experience in a villa in France. I think I posted about it on another thread somewhere [Edit: Yes, here it is!]. I sensed a vague feeling of a 'bad presence' in one particular room of the cottage. The room was older, different to all the others in the villa, and had a child's cot in one corner which I found to be a focus of some apprehension for no apparent reason! We shut the door and didn't re-enter for the whole holiday. I don't think it was in Burgundy, though.

I had a similar thing with the house I lived at between the ages of six and twelve.
A brick built semi detached council house in the Midlands. Built in the mid 1950s I believe. The whole time our family lived there it never felt homely to me. It is difficult to describe but it had a gloomy thick atmosphere, like you would feel in a room when two people have just had an argument and are now not talking to each other.
Every time I descended the stairs I always felt like something was watching me from the top step.
It had one bathroom that was upstairs. The toilet was one of those old fashioned jobs with a tank high on the wall and a pull chain flush. Before I pulled that flush I would have to ready myself like a sprinter before the starter gun was fired, as I would have to charge down the stairs as fast as I could. When I got to the bottom, even though I really didn't want to I would have to glance back up the stairs to see if anyone was there. There never was.
I also couldn't sleep with the light off and the bedroom door closed. Even up till I was twelve, quite late to need a light on in the bedroom. I'd had no problems with the dark before that house, or indeed since it. In fact I now find it difficult to relax with any kind of light in a bedroom. I very often used to hear what sounded like someone stomping up the last 3 steps on the stairs. My Dad told me it was the house settling, and he may have been right, but I have never heard settlement that loud in any of the houses I have lived in since.
When I was twelve we moved from that house into an old cottage built in the early 1800s, and the atmosphere there was totally different. It was always a welcoming place, like you were home. From the first night there I no longer needed the light on at night.

A few years ago I was taking with my Mother about when I was a child and I mentioned the old place and how I used to get spooked by the stairs, and how the rest of the family would make a joke of it.
She told me that both her and my Father would also feel like they were being watched on the stairs, but they didn't admit it to me as they didn't want to freak me out!
Also, at the time we lived there my father sometimes had to work a night shift. One particular weekend my Father had worked a night shift and was sleeping in bed. As children are we being a bit rowdy and loud and so my Mother had decided to take us out so we wouldn't disturb my Dad. Apparently while we were out my Dad woke to the sound of a child crying ... In my room! Thinking it was either myself or my sister upset he went in to see what the matter was. He got to the door and the crying stopped. He found the room, and the rest of the house empty. We were all still out. My parents decided it best not to mention it to any of us children at the time for fear that it would scare us.
Even now, 30 odd years later, I sometimes have unpleasant dreams about that house. That I'm back living there, but the atmosphere is 100 times worse and I am terrified but no one else can feel it.

I often wonder what could have caused it to feel "wrong" to me. Anything from dodgy wiring, to the lighting' or even the fabric of the builing itself or environmental factors. It certainly didn't resemble the usual spooky haunted house, being an unremarkable semi detached on a large council estate full of exactly the same design of house.

hahahahahahahahahaa! :D

It is difficult to describe but it had a gloomy thick atmosphere, like you would feel in a room when two people have just had an argument and are now not talking to each other.

A place where we lived for a year when I was ten had exactly that atmosphere, and it always seemed as if there was a brown out although it should have been a bright house as the windows were large. The toilet sounds exactly the same. I also hated either going up or coming down stairs, and was afraid in the little room I slept in. As evening came on and it got dark in that house I would always feel oppressed and fearful. I never saw anything strange except a 'vision' of my mother when she was in hospital overnight, but it was not my mother I was afraid of.

?I had a thing about dead old women, or witches when I was little .. I'd watched The Wizard Of Oz and Pete's Dragon by that point .. in my childhood bedroom in Streetly, Sutton Coldfield, I'd dreamt of astral projection experiences, being dragged out of bed by an old woman, my Mum coming into my room and then I noticed my Dusty Bin (Ted Rodgers) toy had all the bits that were supposed to be plugged in the correct way the wrong way around and it wasn't my Mum at all and the witch screamed at me .. I was later told by my Mum that an old woman had died in our house and her bedroom had been mine .. I've always imagined that that's why The Evil Dead film hit me so hard ... the old woman witch in the cellar .... Zelda from the TV show Terrahawks used to freak me out a bit also ....

I'm not a believer or disbeliever in haunted houses but I've definitely lived in places at all stages of my life that I've felt nothing from .... or otherwise had no choice but to accept that there was a definite weirdness ...a random "psychic" said one was following me around at a hotel I lived in ... I seem to attract dead women! ... hands up everyone who wants to be me? :(

My childhood home ..
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.586074,-1.88,-93.17h,-3.77p,1z

Last edited:
Did you know about the death in the room beforehand or after you started getting creeped out?

I knew about it before, but I've also lived in plenty of places where I could have been spooked out about what had happened there and haven't been. The one house I'm in now, the previous resident died in my room and my mother sadly passed away here too, but this place feels so cheery and light, so their souls have passed on, I hope.

I also had another bizarre experience in a French house which I think I posted a while ago, of experiences when I was 9 or 10 where I could hear an 'adults'' party in the living room (as in cheering and glasses clinking, and a piano) and despite quite thorough investigation for a kid, I think (!) I still can't explain what I heard. And another experience my mother and I shared, in a house where the old lady resident had recently died in an old folks' home, we heard a disembodied woman's voice say 'goodnight' from inbetween our two bedrooms, we asked each other a few times if it was either of us saying it, and it wasn't. Pretty banal I know, but still weird! :-/

Back