• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orange Balls of Light (Martinsville / Bloomington IN; 1970's)

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Many years ago around 1973.....my friend Mick stayed at college ,while I went home for the summer. One night he and his friends in Martinsville IN (just outside Bloomington IN-IU College) saw these large orange glowing balls of light (natural plasma balls..?) that were moving around the area. Many locals saw them and this went on for several days always at dusk and then at night. They even chased one once that 'landed' in a farmers field and tried to walk towards it but it 'took off' before they could get close. His description was that they were large..almost as big as a small house and were a light orange-yellow in color. To him they seemed to move in a deliberate manner and not at random. That's the whole tale as I received it...but I do believe it made the local papers back then.

Many years ago around 1973.....my friend Mick stayed at college ,while I went home for the summer. One night he and his friends in Martinsville IN (just outside Bloomington IN-IU College) saw these large orange glowing balls of light (natural plasma balls..?) that were moving around the area. Many locals saw them and this went on for several days always at dusk and then at night. They even chased one once that 'landed' in a farmers field and tried to walk towards it but it 'took off' before they could get close. His description was that they were large..almost as big as a small house and were a light orange-yellow in color. To him they seemed to move in a deliberate manner and not at random. That's the whole tale as I received it...but I do believe it made the local papers back then.

Interesting. For what it's worth, my working hypothesis is that this type of UAP is naturally occurring (but rare) electromagnetic in nature. I say this despite the seeming deliberate movements.

Dr Wu:

Do any of the reported sightings on this NUFORC listing:

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxlin.html

... seem to be the same as the one(s) you mention here?
The closest one was the 11/1973 report in Bufkin IN...but I'm sure their sightings were the summer of 1973.....because I was married in 1974 and he was at my wedding that summer. It's certainly possible that that Martisnville event never made any national data lists.
There were quite a few sightings in summer of 1973 in various Indiana areas....but I have not ben able to find the Martinsville one listed.

Last edited:
Back