• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oreo cookies should be banned from sale to children in Cali

ruffready

Justified & Ancient
Lawsuit seeks to ban sale of Oreos to children in California
I don't know about most folks but I still like oreos and when I can aford them I still buy them if I have xtra left over after I buy my staples. I don't sit and eat the whole package in one sitting either (I try and not glutton as I care about the way I look and either your pre-deposed to do this or your not IMHO) I think if you remove one thing kids and most people that are going to over do something , will just do it anyway!! Its a matter of taking responsibility!! why not just teach this, "responsibility!! jezzz!! ..whole story here http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/05/12/OREO.TMP

I find it alarming that anyone out there has the idea that the average mother thinks that mass-produced cookies are good for her kids. Stuff transfat, they're full of sugar and low on vitamins and minerals.

Surely everyone knows that letting kids pig out on foods like this is a bad thing?

Or am I underestimating the general public again.?

Cujo

Cujo said:
Surely everyone knows that letting kids pig out on foods like this is a bad thing?

Or am I underestimating the general public again.?
Living in Scotland and you can question the public's insatiable apetite for biscuits? Also, sweeties, crisps and fizzy drinks? :eek!!!!:

next thing will hear

is that police here in the states can't hang out at "donut shops"!! :eek!!!!:

AndroMan said:
Living in Scotland and you can question the public's insatiable apetite for biscuits? Also, sweeties, crisps and fizzy drinks? :eek!!!!:
I don't question the apetite. I question that something needs to be banned because it turned out to be not good for kids when it's something they shouldn't be necking in large quantities in the first place.

I'm sure kids do eat lot's of oreos but then it's up to their parents to stop them, or altenatively, just not buy oreos.

Cujo

Cujo said:
I'm sure kids do eat lot's of oreos but then it's up to their parents to stop them, or altenatively, just not buy oreos.
Every time I return to Britain, I'm amazed at the shelves and shelves devoted to biscuits and other snacks, compared to Europe. Scotland's shelves are stacked that much higher. Admittedly, we can't compare with the jumbo quantities consumed in the States, but we run them close on heart attacks, obesity and salt/fat/sugar related illness.

Biscuits, sweets, crisps and fizzy drinks replace meals where I come from. I remember a Rab C. Nesbitt episode where packets of spring onion and chives flavoured crisps constituted salad. :(

Oreos? Those strange black things with a bit of odd white stuff sandwiched between the two layers?
They taste foul. I can't believe anyone would actually eat one out of choice, let alone a whole packet. You might as well eat lumps of charcoal since that's what they taste like. (note, I've never actually eaten charcoal so I suppose I should say that it's what I imagine charcoal would taste like)

Steve.

I agree, it is sad how much processed crap there is in our diet. I'm just not sure what can be done about it. I don't think legislation will help.

Perhaps our working hours are to blame. In Britain we work far longer hours than the rest of Europe. Who has time to cook when you're working a 60 hour week?

I know from friends who've lived there that the US doesn't have much of a cooking culture and that eating out is a lot cheaper than it is here. It's not much wonder that with American working hours and European pay something has to give.

Cujo

sjwk said:
Oreos? Those strange black things with a bit of odd white stuff sandwiched between the two layers?
They taste foul. I can't believe anyone would actually eat one out of choice, let alone a whole packet.
Bourbon biscuits, Mmmm!

AndroMan said:
I remember a Rab C. Nesbitt episode where packets of spring onion and chives flavoured crisps constituted salad. :(
One of my American friends did used to insist that the 'hint of lime' Doritos were a vegetable and therefore formed part of a balanced diet.
We think he was joking.

Steve.

AndroMan said:
Bourbon biscuits, Mmmm!
No, there's a difference. bourbons taste nice. Well, one or two do, after that they just taste very very sickly..
Oreos just taste of ash.

Steve.

So What Would It Be?

Death by McVitie's Chocolate Digestive, or by Chocolate HobNob? ;)

Re: So What Would It Be?

AndroMan said:

Garibaldy buscuits. The only buscuits named after a revolutionary and thus not only fortean but a good way to go.

Cujo

Re: Re: So What Would It Be?

Cujo said:
Garibaldy buscuits. The only buscuits named after a revolutionary and thus not only fortean but a good way to go.
Cujo

not forgetting the bourbon buscuit named after the Italian royal house of bourbon.
All together now..."revolutionary busuits of italy, you have nothing to lose 'cept your wafers.."
with appologies to Alexi Sayle:D

sjwk said:
They taste foul. I can't believe anyone would actually eat one out of choice, let alone a whole packet. You might as well eat lumps of charcoal since that's what they taste like. (note, I've never actually eaten charcoal so I suppose I should say that it's what I imagine charcoal would taste like)

Steve.

Funny, I always heard that Europeans love the Oreos without the filling, so they sell them plain.

Ogopogo said:
Funny, I always heard that Europeans love the Oreos without the filling, so they sell them plain.
Sorry, mate. That's another one of those UL's I'm afraid.

Unless, of course, somebody out there knows different? :)

(We have Chocolate HobNobs) ;)

sjwk said:
. (note, I've never actually eaten charcoal so I suppose I should say that it's what I imagine charcoal would taste like)

Steve.

I have...

Ogopogo said:

I've never even seen one.

Inverurie Jones said:
I've never even seen one.
I've seen them in US TV programs and in an American comfort food Deli in Amsterdam. :)

Oreo Cookies: The Evidence

Here's a picture of one, for all those who are either interested, or on a diet.

And note the magical sigil stamped upon it, perhaps in some sort of blasphemous aping of the Holy Wafer? :eek!!!!:

Re: So What Would It Be?

AndroMan said:

Is it time now to mention Pepperidge Farm's softbake Oat-Bran Raisin Cookies? Utterly awesome texture and loads of juicy raisins with a hint of cinnamon, even if somewhat excessively sweetened. And of course McVitie's Ginger Nuts (dunked in strong coffee, natch.). :)

Re: Oreo Cookies: The Evidence

AndroMan said:
...note the magical sigil stamped upon it, perhaps in some sort of blasphemous aping of the Holy Wafer? :eek!!!!:
Egads Andro! It all makes a terrible sense. The ashen cookie, the virginal white of both it's centre and the traditional milk into which it's baptised prior to consumption...

I've searched several online bibles and found no references to Ashes and Milk or Milk and Ashes so we must assume that Oreo cookies are Satanic!

;) :hmm: :rofl: :D

AndroMan said:
magical sigil

It looks like a cross of lorraine to me. This means of course that the company that makes them is French. This must be the true reason fo banning them.

AndroMan said:
And note the magical sigil stamped upon it

The same sigil can be found on all Nabisco products!

If there's not a conspiracy theory already, there should be.

Magical sigil?;)

The consumption of Oreo's is strictly linked to being fed them as a child.
My other half has an American mother and the sight of the four siblings sat around the table eating Oreo's and drinking root beer is bizarre.

No, no I'm fine. I'll make do with my black pudding and milk stout. Weirdoes.

Yuk, how did Snoopy do it?

Physick said:
...drinking root beer is bizarre...

The concept of drinking root beer is bizarre anyway, it tastes like something you'd rub into aching joints.

It tastes exactly like germaline potion (i mean toothpaste).
But I quite like it

Banning Oreos because they're bad for children is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
You would have to ban all mass produced sweets and then dispense flour and sugar by prescription to insure those with a sweet tooth aren't making cookies, candy and cakes in the dead of night. Black markets will florish with pushers on street corners around every school. "Don't hang out with Johnny, he has cavities/caries because he eats sweets!!" Gasps of horror.
You know where it'll be going don't you? Straight to the pub when the debate of the effects of alcohol on the body determine that we can't be trusted to limit our consumption. :eek!!!!:

Back