• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orkney (The Orkney Islands)

I'll be visiting Orkney in a few weeks, I'll let you know if they've all become Norwegians by then ;)
So I talked to one of the people behind this story - basically it's a misunderstanding. The council were discussing ways of getting more autonomy for Orkney - perhaps something like crown dependency status a la the Channel islands or Man, but the press somehow turned it into 'Orkney wants to become part of Norway' and ran with it, as is their wont.

I should provide an update to my 2004 post to say I did go back a second (and third!) time to see the rest of the stuff. Still haven't seen everything though - Tomb of the Eagles and Mine Howe (the one where you get wheeled in on your back, on a trolley) in particular.

Something I didn't mention in my post 19 years ago was a strange, almost out-of-body experience I had at the pier in Stromness on the first night. Possibly just because I was tired from travelling - possibly down to the mental overload of looking out on nothing but a pitch black sea and sky - but it felt like I was leaving my body. Years later I connected with the same feeling in the ethereal music and artwork of Panda Bear's single "Last Night at the Jetty".

There was also a mild coincidence when we went to a community ceilidh there later in the week: when we walked in, the then-rector of the University of Edinburgh (where me and my travelling companions were students at the time) was on the dancefloor!

@eburacum I suspect you could still get a comprehensive tour today if you chanced upon and befriended the right local!
Tomb of the Eagles has closed down now I think. Plenty of other things to see and do though.

And Stromness we found to have the weirdest atmosphere. My travelling companion and I went there twice (apart from disembarkation). The first time at half past four, for a look around the town, when we just caught the museum about ten minutes before closing. We popped in, to be told by a dour woman that we would have to be quick, they were about to shut (and who still charged us the full entry price, even though we had to whip round very quickly). The second time we were waiting for the ferry to come in, as we were spending the night on board for the early sailing. So we were in Stromness for a couple of hours, from around 6pm to 8. Although it was early May, so full daylight, and presumably there were holiday makers around - the place was completely empty. As deserted as if everyone had moved elsewhere. We went for a walk up along through the town and had a sit on some benches looking out to sea and it all felt very eerie and as though everyone knew something we didn't...
stromness.jpg

By coincidence, I just came across mention of a terrifying orcadian water monster, the nuckalavee (cognate with nixie, nøkken, knucker - norse names for a malevolent water spirit with perhaps horselike features.)

Here's a picture (James Torrance, 1859-1916) to give you nightmares.
By the way, if anyone's visiting this year there's a great article in the Orkney Islander (free annual magazine for tourists) about sea serpents and water monsters in Orkney by Tom Muir of orkneyology.com

Tomb of the Eagles has closed down now I think. Plenty of other things to see and do though.

Yes, it's a great shame. I do hope they can open again at some point.
It looks like they're digging up something really amazing at the Knowe of Swandro on Rousay, and the archeologists will show you around for free if you just turn up.

I'm in Orkney now but kind of stuck on a little island so I won't have the opportunity to look around the mainland or other islands this time unfortunately, but I would love to see the dig there.

By the way, if anyone's visiting this year there's a great article in the Orkney Islander (free annual magazine for tourists) about sea serpents and water monsters in Orkney by Tom Muir of orkneyology.com

Yes, it's a great shame. I do hope they can open again at some point.
It looks like they're digging up something really amazing at the Knowe of Swandro on Rousay, and the archeologists will show you around for free if you just turn up.

I'm in Orkney now but kind of stuck on a little island so I won't have the opportunity to look around the mainland or other islands this time unfortunately, but I would love to see the dig there.
When I was there we stuck to Mainland - there was plenty for us to see and do there. I think it's often a problem for people visiting - that they don't realise that so many of the noteable sites are spread over ALL of the archipelago, and you can lose a lot of time in simply travelling or arranging travel to the various other islands.

I really enjoyed visiting the Kirbuster Farm museum and Scapa Flow museum... both off the beaten tourist trail.

When I was there we were only visiting for three days, so did all the Big Tourist Sites. But as it was early May and no cruise ships were in, most places, even the most touristy like Scara Brae, were quite empty. Also went to the Italian Chapel which I wasn't really interested in but we were passing - and was absolutely blown away. MUCH more than I'd thought it would be, and very interesting and touching stories involved.

Back