• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Outback UL

I wouldn't worry too much about Sydney. After 200 years of settlement, the biggest problem there is the spiders. And they have an anti-toxin for them these days.

No, Sydney's quite safe. Just don't go poking about in the garden too much. At least not without a native guide. And make sure you only go swimming between the flags, inside the shark nets, and when there aren't any warnings about box jellyfish.

Only spiders? Oh that's ok then. Only a deadly type of creepy crawly I fear more than any other! :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

Sorry, Jane, looks like I won't be coming over within the next century... :eek:

You could stay at my place. Canberra is outside the range for most of the really poisonous stuff, including the spiders.

Of course, if Bogong moths were poisonous, then I'd have problems. Fortunately they're just annoying.

Spooky angel said:
Only spiders? Oh that's ok then. Only a deadly type of creepy crawly I fear more than any other! :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

Sorry, Jane, looks like I won't be coming over within the next century... :eek:

Oh, but the Sydney funnelweb is such a lovely friendly spider. And they're bite doesn't hurt much, really. And just as long as you get to a hospital within.....say.....an hour or so, you'd be fine... After you'd recovered from the after-effects of the venom, anyway.

You can tell it's friendly by the way it reaches up to hug you...

Ick. Spiders are bad enough, but those things are ugly spiders. And more venemous than the common Funnelweb.

anome said:
You can tell it's friendly by the way it reaches up to hug you...

Ick. Spiders are bad enough, but those things are ugly spiders. And more venemous than the common Funnelweb.

They're friendlier than redbacks.....Now those are anti-social little buggers. Spinning their webs we're your most likely to accidentally put your hands (like under tables).

Always thought the friendlist spiders are the huntsmans. Glad they aren't poisonous, 'cause they do seem to like to get into the shower with me...

And then you beat them to death with the soap before turning the hot water on them?

Or is that just me?

I really don't like spiders. And the fact that huntsmen aren't poisonous does not excuse them from getting as large as they do. (Large enough to rattle the windows when they drop to the floor.)

Actually I prefer to get something longer and move them out of the way. I don't like to kill them if I can help it. I'll only kill spiders if they get too close or are too active. I did kill a huntsman that jumped at me while I was in the shower. Very traumatic experience, though not as traumatic as its relative who took revenge and bit me in bed a couple of days later. (I won't tell you where, but the doctor thought it was very funny.) I developed a bit of a prejudice towards huntsmans after that.

Biggest one I've ever seen was camping (the same trip with the snake). Was as bit as a saucepan lid. Crawled across the roof of the tent (inside). We managed to sweep it out into the bush - fortunately never saw it again.

And people wonder why I don't go camping these days.

At least when they're in your house you can claim to be defending your property. If you're camping, then you're on their territory.

Back