• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Pagan' book recommendations

giantrobot1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My brother's currently becoming interested in conservation while studying for a degree in geography. He's expressed a growing interest in nature-based religions, but, to quote, the people he's asked for information think he's 'taking the piss'.

I know there's probably a lot of dross to avoid out there (teen-witch love spells etc.), so I'd be very greatful if you wonderful folks could recommend books that give good information about (preferably British) pagan, druid and witchcraft traditions.

He's not taking the piss, honest!

Hmm - 'traditions' aren't really there as far as this subject is concerned - unless you're talking about modern constructs. But there are a few good overviews of the modern pagan movement.

Hi GiantRobot

herewith some titles on pagan british religions and stuff:

(not an exclusive list, but it may be somewhere to start:)

Ronald Hutton (well just about everything) but including:

The Triumph of the Moon

The Pagan religions of the Ancient British isles
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/blackchip/pagan_religions.htm

The Stations of the Sun

Witches, Druids and King Arthur
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/blackchip/witches_druids_king_arthur.htm

also

Graham Harvey and Charlotte Hardman "Pagan Pathways: a guide to the ancient earth traditions"

and

Philip Carr-Gomm "In the grove of the druids - the druid teachings of ross nichols"

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/blackchip/In the grove of the druids.htm

i've put the urls of the ones i''ve reviewed.

mal

if you can hold of issues of cauldron they may be helpful
their website is at:

http://www.the-cauldron.fsnet.co.uk/

it has a few articles that may be of interest.

nb i'm not an expert on the subject but i've read a bit ;)

mal

A good American druid group is the Ancient Order of Druids in America:

http://www.aoda.org

Founded in 1912 as the American branch of the Ancient and Archaeological Order of Druids, AODA is a Druid church of nature spirituality, rooted in the Druid Revival of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and offering an opportunity for modern people to experience the teachings and practices of traditional Druidry in today's world.

AODA understands Druidry as a path of nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief. It is a church in the original sense of that word, a community of people following a spiritual path together. It welcomes men and women of all national origins, cultural and linguistic backgrounds, and affiliations with other Druidic and spiritual traditions. Ecological awareness and commitment to an earth-honoring lifestyle, celebration of the cycles of nature through seasonal ritual, and personal development through meditation and other spiritual exercises form the core of its work, and involvement in the arts, healing practices, and traditional esoteric studies are among its applications and expressions.

We welcome you to the AODA website and encourage you to learn about AODA and its work!

Their Grand Archdruid, John Michael Greer, has written a few books I think are pretty good, and I like their approach to things....

Scott Cunningham gives a good overview for Wicca in A guide for the Solitary Practitioner and Jan Fries gives an excellent overview of shamanism and magick in Visual Magick (dealing a lot with non-ritual magick), but a great resource is the neopagan sacred text archive: here. There's also the Internet Book of Shadows, which is where I started. It has mostly unbiased opinions on all aspects of paganism. Try and stay away from the Thelemic Golden Dawn stuff for the most part, unless you want completely biased opinions set in stone and heavy on pretension.

The "modern classic" (which for once I can actually say I read :D ) of the neo-pagan movement in the USA (though not inapplicable to the UK) that is often cited by people is Margot Adler's Drawing Down The Moon. It's over 25 years old now, but I believe it was revised & expanded in the late 90's sometime. It seems to be well-regarded whether one is a practitioner of a nature-based religion or not. (As many folks here know, I'm not, myself.) Hope your brother finds some good material.

Possibly The White Goddess by Robert Graves. Very idiosyncratic.

Thanks! You guys really have come up with the goods...

:likee:

Drawing Down the Moon is a good one, by Margot Adler, not too fluffy and gives a lot of history and is a good overview of lots of traditions and paths rather than emphasising one. Pagan Pathways edited by Graham Harvey and Charlotte Hardman is a good collection of essays on different topics.

Wish I could think of more, but our book cases are in our guest bedroom and Hubbles has put most of my books in the attic in case they cause any undue concern!

I'd definitely recommend Adler's book though, or you could look it up on Amazon or something and see if it leads you to something else. Actually, I've just done that and the linked recommendations look like fluff. It's an American book too, so might not be much use beyond a good introduction.

edit: Sorry, just noticed this was a double posted thread and I didn't see the other one! And I didn't suggest anything new! Feel free to merge . . .

I am reminded of an old joke, told in various forms by various folks : in the toilets of the multifaith conference a Christian emerges from a cubicle and proceeds to thoroughly scrub her hands with lots of soap and hot water, saying 'we are taught that cleanliness is next to godliness'. Next a Wiccan emerges and instead washes their hands using the very minimum of soap and water, opining 'we have learned to respect the earth and do all we can to preserve her resources, avoiding poisoning her and respecting her ancient magesty'. Then arrives a Ceremonial Magician who, while appearing to wash her hands quite normally, all the while is visualising the water as white light banishing the the astral grime from the subtle body, 'I've learned that every act,' she says, 'is a magickal act'.
Finally a Chaote strolls out of the stalls and walks straight past them without washing at all, saying 'and I have learned to go to the toilet without pissing on my hands.'

Hutton is good, very sane on the matter of just how 'traditional' these 'traditions' are without dismissing the whole business out of hand.
Frazier's 'The Golden Bough' is a cracking book for dipping into, if rather a product of his time. Gerald Gardner's 'Witchcraft Today' is possibly the classic of the 'secret unbroken ancient tradition' school and is pretty much a cornerstone of Wicca. Golden Dawn stuff doesn't really fit into 'nature religions' imho but much of the ritual structure of modern pagan schools comes via them from a variety of sources so it is definitely worth a look, containing a lot more easy to follow, if rather long-winded practical instruction on matters magic(k)al than a lot of the more 'ethos for living' neopagan material, but it is all mostly 'borrowed' from older ideas .... you can't beat Agrippa and Ficino etc.

It is definitely worth bearing in mind as you plough through this stuff that it is all utterly made up ..... whether it was made up by our ancestors and handed down through the generations or made up by renaissance alchemists or turn of the century rebels or guys in the 50s who were into spanking or drug-crazed post-punks etc etc is a debate that runs and runs, somewhat pointlessly. Even the soberer historical works are more than likely mostly opinion and misinterpretation, in magic(k) as elsewhere.

With a simple grounding in technique, a bit of practice and a pantheon that appeals to you personally you can make up your own system that's better'n any of em.

Green Witchcraft by Anna Moura (or Aoumiel) is a very well written book that gives a lot of historical info on nature based religions, as well as her own take on family traditions and European folkore.

Green Witchcraft 2 & 3 build on the first, but don't quite hit the mark IMO.

The only interesting elements I found when reading around *Paganism*, were the works of Bill Yeats. Not only do I find his poetic cadence strangely hypnotic, but try reading something like The Song of Wandering Aengus, sat with a person you love, with a carefully prepared picnic, on the edge of a wheat field that is sided by a mature wood of Ash and Hazel and the feeling of liminality (certainly for me anyway), brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat – maybe that was just the wine though? :D

Personally, I have absolutely no doubt that Yeats is the most authentic of all modern “Pagan” practicioners. Although his poems are superb, of a universally high quality, and (in many cases) laced with Celtic/Bardic/Pagan references, the over-arching “system” he and his wife George created is as impressive as anything expounded by Dee, Crowley, Gardner or Aquino.

“A Vision”, like all good magical systems, relies on layer upon layer of meaning, sometimes seeming utterly contradictory. If you are lucky, and get a “picnic in the wheat field” moment, then this perceived dichotomy drops away. Literally the “scales fall from the eyes”, if only momentarily.

Like all Magical systems, it is undeniably open to ridicule, disbelief and scepticism, but as other posters on other threads have noted, the concept of “does it universally work?” is a nonsense – It worked for him, as he states:

“I put The Tower and The Winding Stair into evidence to show that my poetry has gained in self-possession and power. I owe this change to an incredible experience’.

Whilst his “Vision” can be taken, at the centre point, as a study and effects into phases of the moon, it can also be expressed as a system that uses the workings of “sacred trees”, that is to say trees sacred to the Celts of Ireland in prehistory. This may be an area that is of particular interest to your bro, GR?

Whilst much of what is touted as Paganism is a BS construct of the 20th Century – and can be “traced back” (as the current initiators of these movements claim) to whatever original source, it is undisputed that nature worship, of a specific nature was observed by these peoples.

Tacitus wrote of the Pagan tribes (in this instance of the Germanic tribes, but there is good reason to postulate these practices occurred across the face of “barbarian” N. Europe), nearly 2,000 years ago, and had this to say:

“the grove is the centre of their whole religion. It is regarded as the cradle of the race and the dwelling place of the supreme god to whom all things are subject and obedient”.

Like I say, you can enjoy the man for his poetry, or his magic, or indeed for both. But certainly never, for neither.

Back