• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Palace Puma"

Proff_Nebulous

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
According to our local free paper the Croydon Gardien, The "Palace Puma" has been spotted. I am very weary of the report for two reasons.
! the inital sighting was made by a local journalist.
2 I have lived around the Croydon area all my life and this is the first I have head of this phantom animal.

My question is, dispite my doults should I pack sandwhiches and a camera and start looking for this creature? ;)

That depends. How badly do you need a day out with an excuse to wander around the woods and fields with binoculars?

Take a bird guide; then you can combine the trip with birdwatching (the best all-around excuse for this behavior) and not feel you wasted the day if you don't happen to see a puma.

Sandwiches get stale and mushy in the bottom of your pack, though - and they always do wind up at the bottom of the pack, somehow. I recommend trail mix and one of the more durable fruits.

PeniG said:
That depends. How badly do you need a day out with an excuse to wander around the woods and fields with binoculars?[/url]

Woods and fields are at a bit of a premium in the London suburb of West Norwood, you've got a few parks within striking distamce and Norwood Cemetry. But it's not exactly big cat territory.

Found the article:

Croydon Guardian

CRYSTAL PALACE: Mystery over 'Palace Puma' big cat sighting5:27pm Monday 10th August 2009

Comments () Have your say »

By Matt Watts »

A PUMA or panther is on the prowl in Crystal Palace according to a journalist who spotted a big cat there on Saturday.

The beast - dubbed the Palace Puma - was sighted in some woodland by journalist Helen Barrett, 41, who was out for a walk with her family.

They were so terrified that they fled from the “wild animal” - described as black and 5ft in length - after it approached them on a pathway between Church Road and Auckland Hill at 3.45pm.

Mrs Barrett said: “It was quite alarming.

"At first we couldn’t believe what we were seeing.

"It was black, the size of a labrador, but walking like a cat.

"It had to be feline.”

She thought it must be a puma or panther.

She described how it came out of foliage 50ft from her family, including her children aged two and 10, and disappeared before reappearing out of the woodland and began to approach them.

“We just turned and fled before it could get any closer,” she added.

She said as a journalist she was naturally sceptical of any sighting like this, but she “knew what she saw” and because of the history of confirmed sitings in the area believed another big cat was now in the area.

Four years ago a hunt for a big cat - dubbed the Beast of Sydenham - took place in neighbouring Sydenham Park after a cat “the size of a labrador” attacked a man in his garden in the middle of the night.

Mrs Barrett reported the sighting to police who searched the path and woodland parallel to Fox Hill, but said they could find no trace of a big cat.

No animal welfare organisations have been in touch about the incident nor have there been any warnings issued by zoos about escaped animals, according to a police spokesman.

According to Bromley Council no dangerous wild animals are believed to be kept in the Crystal Palace area, and no licences for residents to keep them have been issued.

A spokesman for the RSPCA said no big cats had ever been found in the area, and often sightings were people confusing foxes and other animals with larger beasts.

But Mrs Barratt said she was convinced by what she saw.

She added: “I would warn people from going into the wood.”

There has been a seond sighting, this time by two 14 year olds who discribed the crature as "Black and as big as a great dane." Hmmm.

Thanks for the advice Peni G and MsPix

Crystal Palace 'big cat' may be big dog

The ‘big cat’ sighted around Crystal Palace twice in recent weeks and dubbed the Palace Puma - is definitely not a puma and may well be a big black labrador.

Neil Arnold, of Kent Big Cat Research, who has been looking into big cat sightings for over a decade, explained that it cannot be a puma as they are not black, but might be a black leopard or jaguar, the slang term for which is panther.

But Eduardo de Brito, who lives in Thicket Road very close to the second sighting, told a reporter for the Streatham Guardian on Friday that he is convinced the ‘big cat’ is actually a huge black dog.

He said: “It's like a labrador. He scares everyone! When I stop my car I am afraid to get out if he is about, he's massive. My friend has seen it too, and he is scared. It's really scary, especially late at night or early in the morning.”

The theory is backed up by the fact that both sightings were during the day when big cats usually lie up, often in trees. Mr Arnold said: "They are very elusive animals also, mainly hunting at dusk and throughout the night."

Residents have been intrigued by two recent sitings of what has been dubbed the "Palace Puma". On Saturday, August 8, journalist Helen Barrett says she saw a big black cat in woods while she walked with her family in Church Road woods. Then two teenagers said they saw a cat "the size of a great dane" walking near Crystal Palace Park.

Mr Arnold, whose investigations cover much of south-east London and Kent, estimated there could be as many as 15-20 panthers, pumas, lynxes or jaguars on his entire patch. He has received an average of 200 reported sightings of massive moggies every year for the past 10 years and reckons "well over 100 of those are credible".

Natural England, the government agency keeps a register of big cat sightings and encoruages members of the public to report any sightings of unusual animals.

Strangely, however, when this newspaper checked whether the register included the recent sightings at Crystal Palace, and the ‘Beast of Sydenham Hill’ in 2005 - both investigated by the police - neither was included in the register.

If there is a Palace Panther, is it dangerous?

According to Mr Arnold, big cats on the loose in Britain survive on a diet that includes rabbits, foxes, deer, mice, rats, pheasants, pigeons, livestock, domestic cats, sheep and squirrels.

He said they are very secretive, sleeping in trees during the day and only emerging to hunt at dusk. They rarely leave remains of their kill and their footprints are often mistaken for dogs - the key difference is that claws will be visible in dog prints.

According to Mr Arnold, British big cats are mostly nocurnal and solitary, but day-time sightings do occur, as with the palace puma.

He insists that big cats pose little danger to the public. He said: "The advice I give to people is to maintain eye contact and back away slowly. Will only ever attack someone if backed into a corner."

The two government departments with responsibility for big cats, the Home Office and the agriculture department DEFRA both refused to provide any guidance to the public on what they should do if they see a big cat.

In 1995, then agriculture minister Angela Browning commissioned a high-profile report into reported sightings in Cornwall of a big cat dubbed the 'Beats of Bodmin Moor'.

The report concluded that the existence of wild big cats in Britain could not be disproved, though most sightings and footprints were likely to be from domestic cats and dogs.

SOURCE

mooks out

Back