• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paranormal Activity - movie

The website wouldn't load up.
:shock:
Spooky.

I finally got to see this movie, and with one or two reservations, loved it.

A couple buy a camcorder to record poltergeist activity in their home - so yes, this is entirely filmed that camcorder footage (think Blair Witch in a house) However, there's very little or no shakeycam.

Every night the guy sets the camera on a tripod to film the bed and corridor... and every night I was filled with the same dread as the characters!

Since Dreamworks bought up this pic they decided to remake it with a bigger budget (but same director) The latest is the remake has been scrapped and they will tweak this version instead.

I can see this going the way of Blair Witch though - hyped as the scariest thing ever, while people sit in the cinema thinking "this is it..?"

Me? I was climbing up the f**king walls!

Interview:
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/slamdancenews.php?id=5123

Finally getting a limited US release... here's the new trailer, complete with audience reaction:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/paranormalactivity/hd/

After a young, middle class couple moves into what seems like a typical suburban “starter” tract house, they become increasingly disturbed by a presence that may or may not be somehow demonic but is certainly most active in the middle of the night. Especially when they sleep. Or try to.

A lot of buzz in the US...

OVER ONE MILLION FANS DEMAND PARANORMAL ACTIVITY

Hit Film Gets Nationwide Expansion After Unprecedented Demands

HOLLYWOOD, CA (October 9, 2009) – Following 2-weeks of nationwide midnight only sellouts and fan frenzy over the limited release hit thriller PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, moviegoers everywhere have been heard!

Over 1,000,000 people from around the country demanded the film play in their city by logging on to ParanormalMovie.com. In response, Paramount Pictures will release the film nationwide beginning Friday, October 16th.

From the very beginning, we put this film in the hands of the fans and we trusted them to tell us where and when it should be seen. We couldn’t be more thrilled by their overwhelming support and we are happy to release the film in every town - big and small,” said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman of Paramount Pictures.

The movie Roger Ebert of The Chicago Sun-Times called “an ingenious horror film. It’s so well made it’s truly scary” is currently garnering 90% on RottenTomatoes.com.

http://www.paranormalmovie.com/press.html

And now the director is turning to Area 51...

'Paranormal's' Peli to explore 'Area 51'
Writer-director sets up details of horror follow-up

As Paramount Pictures broadens "Paranormal Activity" from underground midnight screenings to round-the-clock showings in 40 cities this weekend, writer-director Oren Peli has already scared up a start date and the financing for his follow-up.

He starts production next week on "Area 51," which will employ the "found footage" narrative structure of his last film and tell the story of three teens whose curiosity leads them to the notorious "Area 51" part of Nellis Air Force Base in the Nevada desert.

"Paranormal Activity" cost just $11,000; this time Peli will be working with a relatively whopping $5 million budget, with financing locked through Aramid Entertainment Fund and Incentive Filmed Entertainment. IM Global will handle worldwide sales, while CAA will shoot for a domestic deal.

Returning as producer is Jason Blum, who produced "Paranormal Activity" through his Blumhouse Prods. banner. Room 101's Steven Schneider and IM Global topper Stuart Ford are executive producers.

"I'd rather not say anything about 'Area 51' except that I am very pleased to be working with the same team who stood by me for the two or three years it took 'Paranormal Activity' to get into theaters," Peli said.

David Molner, chairman of Incentive and Aramid Capital Partners, said the early returns on "Paranormal Activity" reminded him of the word of mouth momentum built years ago by "The Blair Witch Project."

"Everyone looks for a franchise, and we really think Incentive has found its first one in this new property from Oren and Jason," Molner told Daily Variety. "These are two first-class talents."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009596.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Making of 'Paranormal' inspired by filmmaker's move to San Diego

Oren Peli is Red Bull in human form. His movie, "Paranormal Activity," is causing more sleepless nights that the Steelers in overtime on "Monday Night Football."

Even adults who can doze after seeing the haunted house film are suddenly suspicious of creaky floorboards, stray shudders or noises, or any door that swings open or closed without benefit of human hand or window breeze.

"Paranormal Activity," accurately being called the next "Blair Witch Project," is about a young California couple trying to document the evil spirits in their home.

Unlike "The Amityville Horror" or "The Haunting in Connecticut," both inspired by supposedly true stories, this one is a figment of Peli's imagination and the demonic presence doesn't come with the house like a cracked foundation.

The frightening force has been shadowing the woman since she was a child; if she moves, it finds her and it's more ferocious and frightening than ever. She is a college student named Katie, who lives with her day trader-boyfriend Micah, in suburban San Diego.

Peli found his leads the traditional way with casting calls and hired Katie Featherston as Katie and Micah Sloat as Micah. The filmmaker used his own San Diego house as the movie's main (and only) location during a single week of shooting in 2006.

"We usually film during the night and, in the morning, sleep," although there wasn't much snoozing given all the editing and reviewing of footage he needed to do. Peli then spent a year winnowing the nearly 70 hours he amassed.

Asked if anything freaky happened, as famously occurred during "The Exorcist," Peli said in a recent phone call. "Actually, no. I wish it did, it would have been a good story."

An even better story, however, is how a movie made for roughly $15,000 ("We never actually had an accurate accounting," he says, but that's in the ballpark) has made $33.7 million and it's not even Halloween.

This past weekend alone, it raked in $20 million, making it the No. 3 movie and just behind the second-place "Law Abiding Citizen" with Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler.

Peli, a native of Israel who moved to the States 19 years ago, says he once was spooked by "anything that had to do with ghosts, demons, possessions, since I watched 'Exorcist' as a kid. It totally, totally freaked me out."

In fact, he only made it halfway through "The Exorcist," but it was enough to mess him up. Before making "Paranormal," he did a lot of research about the difference between ghosts and demons and some of that turns up in the movie.

It had been the move to his San Diego home that inspired Peli. "I never lived in a single detached family home," he said, so he was conscious of every noise at night, particularly of the house settling and items slipping from shelves.

That led to thinking how a video camera might document the source of the sounds, which led to the movie. He credits "This Is Spinal Tap" and "The Blair Witch Project" as influencing a movie that purports to be true but isn't.

"Blair Witch," released in '99, was about three student filmmakers who disappeared in October 1994 while shooting a documentary about the Blair Witch in the Maryland woods.

Although some early moviegoers were convinced they were watching a real documentary, it was a grand and lucrative put-on. The faux frightfest was made for a paltry $35,000, Artisan Entertainment bought the rights for $1 million, and the movie took in $130 million at the box office and more on DVD. DreamWorks bought "Paranormal" for a reported $350,000.

Peli calls comparisons a compliment, adding, "Hopefully we will have the same success, and so we're not shying away from it."

Both "Blair Witch" and "Open Water," a low-budget 2004 summer sensation about scuba-diving vacationers left behind in shark-infested waters, inspired Peli, who previously worked in video game programming. They proved that a limited budget, video camera and cool idea could allow a first-time filmmaker to give it a shot.

Peli talked with some of the "Blair Witch" veterans and they told him to "brace yourself."

The firestorm of fan and media interest has been overwhelming ever since DreamWorks bought the rights and Paramount eventually opted to release it instead of remaking it (although Peli juiced the ending, which almost guarantees goose bumps).

In late September, Paramount opened the R-rated "Paranormal" in select college towns with midnight screenings and has been widening the net each week, with even more theaters to carry it this Friday.

"That was Paramount. They figured it would be a good fan base -- younger kids who would then go and spread the word on the Internet if they like the movie," Peli said.

The Web has been crucial to the success, since it provided a platform for users to demand the movie play in their cities while others tweeted and fretted on Facebook. Even Steven Spielberg added to the legend and lore.

A story in the Los Angeles Times reported that Spielberg was certain his copy was haunted.

The Times wrote: "As the story goes, Spielberg had taken a 'Paranormal Activity' DVD to his Pacific Palisades estate, and not long after he watched it, the door to his empty bedroom inexplicably locked from the inside, forcing him to summon a locksmith."

If that weren't enough, he returned the movie to DreamWorks in a garbage bag. "I heard the story, not directly from him," but from other studio executives a couple of days later, Peli said when asked about it.

The moral of the story is it can be better to be in an impersonal theater in the company of quaking strangers than in your own palatial home, even if you can summon a locksmith. Or an exorcist. Or a marketing genius.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006571-60.stm

went to see it yesterday it was worse than the blair witch. Some of the audiance screamed when a door slammed but when girl was dragged out of the bed audiance burst out laughing.

saw it earlier today. let me start by saying i love spooky movies and they don't need to try that hard for me to enjoy them!

this was...ok.

reading the story of the movie today it seems this; guy made an interesting movie, no-one would buy it, big company did eventually buy it but insisted he made lots of cuts and changes. one of these big cuts was the ending, and this spoilt it quite a bit for me because i thought it was silly and cliched. the original ending sounds much spookier and original.

secondly, i found the two characters intensely irritating.

it seemed repetitive too. each night you knew the banging would be a little louder, or the more might actually swing fully shut! it just built up in a way that was so obvious and lazy.

none of the story adds up...bits come and go with no real development...

but that's just me. despite all of that though i enjoyed the experience if not everything about the movie. it's stuck with me, lots to think about and that's got to be a good thing. all in all though, i can think of many, mnay movies that do spooky a lot better.

drbates said:
Safe to say you could get on with something else until you got to a 'night' scene...

:lol:

yeah, i'd agree with that!

Due to the shaky home video effect in the movie, I got quite nauseated and had to leave the theater after 15 minutes. :oops: I'll just wait until the DVD comes out- things on my TV don't cause motion sickness for me.

I know of at least one teenager who had the beejezus scared out of her and had to sleep with a light on, for weeks. She even had to search on the internet, to check it wasn't based on real incidents.

I know some might see that as some sort of recommendation, but I can't vouch for the film, itself. ;)

It's never going to help a film to have 90% of everyone going in to the screening expecting to see the scariest film ever.

a) Because if you are expecting a scare then clearly it is going to be less scary than if it comes at you unexpectedly.

b) Nobody wants to be the one to admit that 'the world's scariest film' actually scared them. Far cooler to come out after and say it was rubbish and not scary at all.

drbates said:
In a busy cinema with a hyped up audience it might be quite scary...it was pretty quiet when I saw it.

you think?

i have never been in such a noisy cinema when i saw it, was totally ridiculous! never been to a movie where people around me talked the whole way through. any moments of quiet tension were totally ruined by some idiot shouting 'boo' or somesuch. would love to have seen it in a quiet cinema!

Couple of my workmates, both sexes, reckon they were like, completely freaked out by it. Couldn't sleep, kept all the lights on, the lot. :lol:

escargot1 said:
Couple of my workmates, both sexes, reckon they were like, completely freaked out by it. Couldn't sleep, kept all the lights on, the lot. :lol:

The last film that did that to me properly was the Sixth Sense. Got home turned the lights off but could think of nothing but the creepy little girl so decided would be best to leave the lights on. Just in case...

escargot1 said:

wieners.

jeez, and as for you mcavennie...

:roll:

or tell them to watch 'the haunting', 1963 version. for my money the undisputed pound-for-pound scariest scary movie ever made.

:(

Unwell said:
and as for you mcavennie...

Until I have been through my entire life without seeing a pale faced, goggle-eyed freak child at the end of my bed in the middle of the night I am keeping an open mind on the possibility of it happening...!

I quite enjoyed PA, though I know none of the individual 'incidents' were that original, the structure worked fairly well for me.

I'm also intrigued by the alternative endings... Spoilers here!. The original one sounds interesting.

Paranormal Activity or Government Social Engineering

The blockbuster movie which cost little to make but made millions of dollars in profits was based on a true story but what most people don't know is that what the people in the movie actually experienced was the result of a domestic covert operation by the secret United States government. Eighty percent of what was depicted in the movie as supernatural events is actually the result of people being attacked in their home by classified sonic non-lethal harassment technology. The other twenty percent of the events are likely fabricated to make the movie more entertaining to the audience.

Well, that explains everything...

http://robalini.blogspot.com/2010/01/paranormal-activity.html

I thought it was OK up until the Ouija board bit. Then it just got really silly. I also laughed out loud at the ending but I'm not sure that's what was intended. I think I was supposed to be scared.

Screams in Italy as horror film terrifies the young

A low-budget horror film has caused a stir among politicians in Italy after teenage cinemagoers were traumatised by the movie.

"Paranormal Activity", a box-office hit in Italy, has caused terror among youngsters.

An Italian news agency reported that emergency services took dozens of calls, especially in southern Naples, from cinemagoers shocked by the film.

"Several panic attacks lasting more than half an hour took place," an emergency response worker said.

"The most serious case is that of a 14-year-old girl who was brought to the hospital in a state of paralysis."

The Italian parents' association noted that admission to the movie is restricted in the United States, Britain, Germany and The Netherlands and asked for an age limit of 18 in Italy.

Defence minister Ignazio La Russa said: "For the past two weeks a trailer has been shown obsessively on TV, and is terrifying thousands of children."

In the film Katie and Micah, haunted by paranormal phenomena, decide to tape their ordeal in the style of 1999 hit "The Blair Witch Project".

"Paranormal Activity", which cost a mere $15,000 (£9,600) to make, opened in Italian cinemas over the weekend and has already taken more per cinema than Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar" – the costliest movie of all time.

Alessandra Mussolini, granddaughter of the Italian fascist dictator and head of a parliamentary committee on children, said the film had "highly distressing content" and was causing "panic attacks and psychological problems among youths."

"I don't think we can ban 'Paranormal Activity' now, but surely we need to study how to warn parents of the risks their children are incurring," Mussolini said.

SOURCE

In other news you can buy "Paranormal Entity" from Amazon.com which is, as you would expect, a "found footage" rip-off of PA. Depsite the sometimes less-than-convincing acting and dull stretches, it still managed some decent scares!

And yes, as in The Entity, the Demon does a bit of that too... :shock:

Have to say I quite enjoyed it and I admire any movie with a cast of four, one location and the amount of money he had to make it. Kudos to the guy I say.

I've just watched in the dark, by myself and now I'm off to bed with the lights out.

And the camera taping just incase!

We've just seen this on DVD. On our own sofa, in the dark. :shock:

Great fun. :D

escargot1 said:
We've just seen this on DVD. On our own sofa, in the dark. :shock:

Great fun. :D

The low budget works in its favour, it's a nice example of ingenuity with very little money. But as it was a Blair Witch kind of hit, expect a massive Blair Witch kind of backlash, as all infamously scary movies get.

Found myself staring at the open bedroom door, thinking, what does this remind me of..?

It was way back when I was a little kid, after watching the Daleks or summat. (I saw the Daleks' first ever appearance! :D )

Never bothered hiding under the bedclothes - I knew Daleks and ghosts'd know to look there first.
So I'd keep my eyes on the darkness beyond the bedroom door, watching for any suspicious movement, until I fell asleep. ;)

Darned scary. :lol:

I recently watched this again on DVD and have to say it works much better on the small screen than it did in the cinema. I find that most of these found footage films just don't belong on a big screen surrounded by popcorn munchers. Mostly because it's an environment I associate with entertainment and feel that for something in this sub-genre to really work it has to be seen somewhere where the viewer can personally connect.

Having said all that, I still don't think it's worthy of the hype, or the abundance of 4 and 5 star ratings it received. However, that is simply my opinion.

Back