• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paranormal Experience Or Panic Attack?

A

Anonymous

About 3 years ago I went to visit a cousin in Lancashire with the intention of staying the weekend. She was going through a bad time and had something of a problem with binge drinking.
When I arrived it was obvious that she had been on a bender for a couple of days, the smell of alcohol coming off her was making me feel light-headed and she was rambling and occasionally incoherent.

:_pished:

I arrived on Saturday, went out shopping with her to get her some essentials as she neglects to eat / wash when on one of these benders. Got back to her house about tea time and she started going on about her house being haunted, which I ascribed to the confused state of mind she was in, and the drink.

As afternoon turned to evening and dusk started to fall I started to intermittently notice what I can only describe as blue sparks in the periphery of my vision, and a shadow crossing the kitchen door as if someone had walked past it. All of this was out of the corners of my eyes.

As the evening progressed I began to feel more and more uneasy in the house and started to get a feeling of dread when I looked up the stairs to the first floor. This was my first time visiting her in this particular house, and I had not been upstairs.

The house itself was a fairly new semi, on a new estate.

The atmosphere in the house got so bad that I was gripped by panic and had to get out. As soon as I stepped onto the street into the fresh air I felt better and despite my cousin's pleading and my own sympathy for her plight, I could not bring myself to go back in and drove home.

The journey home seemed to take half its normal time, it was as if I was being pushed, hard to describe. When I passed the sign for my home county I felt very relieved, and by the time I arrived home was back to normal.

I obviously mentioned this bizarre episode to my family, and presumed it would be a story for the pub.

But...

About two weeks later my sister went to visit our cousin, again with the intention of staying over. Everything went swimmingly, she didn't see or feel anything bad or out of the ordinary. Until she went to bed in the spare room. She said she was on the point of dropping off when she was seized with chest pains, palpitations and difficulty in breathing. Along with the feeling that she had to get out of the house immediately or something terrible would happen. Again, when she got outside the panic attack symptoms passed and after a few minutes sat in her car she felt ok. She also drove back home the same night.

I'm at a loss to explain this. Although both my sister and myself share an interest in the paranormal and unexplained, neither of us had ever seen or experienced anything previously that could be described as supernatural / paranormal.

The only rational explanation I can find for it is that the reactions we suffered were autonomic fight or flight responses to our cousin herself, that in her inebriated and at times irrational state she was either giving off cues with her body language that we were subconsciously picking up, or strange pheremones that stimulated this respose to get us away from her as she wasn't safe to be around.

I did send this to the esteemed Reverend Fanthorpe, and he replied that it could be restless spirits and recommended placing crucifixes on all of the walls and having the house blessed. I never took his advice as I haven't been to visit her since and don't want to freak out her already long suffering parents.

Paranormal or Paranoia? I dunno, but I'd welcome anyone's feedback.

:wtf:

My money would be on the phenomena being caused by your cousin herself; her negative emotions and energies causing the sensations you experienced. Sort of like a half formed poltegeist.

Her state may have either created the phenomenon, or attracted it.

What is the current situation? And was is the lay out of her house? Is she near a spring, or river? Near electrical cables? Near an aeriel? Anything that might screw up electromagnetics, kind of thing.

And do you know what kind of rock she's sited on? Granite or limestone, for example.

Clutching at straws, but it certainly doesn't hurt to know these things if possible.

Still, I'd like to know, if possible, her current state of mind and the current state of activity, if any.

"Crucifixes!" LOL!

My money's on electro-magnetic disturbances or some form of low frequency vibrations. Maybe that's the cause behind her drinking and depressive state.

To be honest, when I get in that state, it's usually the **nts in the street behind my house, shouting and bawling until all hours, and constant dog barking for no apparent reason other than neglect!

Si thi, and I hope your cousin feels better now.

Spill'

crucifix

As an aside, my uncle tells me that when I was young I would always turn the crucifix that was hanging on the wall above my bed upside down because that would "keep the nightmares away." I have no recollection of even having a crucifix above my bed let alone flipping it upside down.

Another aside....
If "Jesus" were to have been executed by throat slitting, would the Christians be hanging knives around their necks and that?
Why would "Demons" etc be scared of a symbol of an executionist's tool? Isn't it all rather enforcing a certain "legion" of belief/dogma? I tend to think so.
"Oh aye..... Shove our symbol up to it's face an it'll sh*t it's self! That's because our's is the hardest religion out! All the rest are crap!" You catch my drift......

Has your cousin been worse since moving to this house? My moneys on EM radiation or low frequency vibration as well. Nothing supernatural about I'd bet.

crosses vs. evil

Actually, some variant of the cross recurs cross-culturally as a sun symbol - the swastika in certain Asian and American tribal beliefs springs to mind. Thus it is appropriate that a cross (with or without the suffering man/god figure) should be used to repel the darkness of evil. A cross shape can also effectually bar entrance if positioned correctly.

Every symbol has layers of meaning and justification. Just because the top layer offends you doesn't make the symbol worthless.

Which doesn't mean I'm ever going to hang a swastika in my room if I feel haunted...

A crucifix is useless unless you believe it to be powerful. That's the Catholic view.

The Protestant view is that a crucifix is, of itself and regardless of the faith of the weilder, enough to shift the nasties.

Personally, I think the Catholics have a point.:) So don't go sticking crucifixes/crosses around unless your Faith is Strong, young Padwan...

I didn't know that distimction Helen - good one!

As a protestant I have to say the catholic position makes more sense to me :D

Kath

spillage said:
If "Jesus" were to have been executed by throat slitting, would the Christians be hanging knives around their necks and that?

I wouldn't be at all surprised. There's a novel by John Boyd, who wrote several religious themed SF novels - The Last Starship' from Earth, set in a alternate universe where Jesus didn't die on the cross but became the leader of a rebellion that overthrew the Empire, but died of an arrow wound during the final assualt on Rome and the church's symbol in that universe is the Sign of the Crossbow.

But I tend to the idea that it's your belief in the symbol, rather than the symbol itself that matters. (ex-Catholic, though I didn't realise that this was supposed to be the Catholic viewpoint).

This would make sense whether or not your demons are real or imaginary. If they're real and there's a strong psychic component in their attacks, a strong belief would help you resist it.

If they're purely imaginary, then a strong belief that you could stop them with a symbol would stop them, if your faith was strong enough.

This whole crucifix thing I think all comes down to state of mind. If you truly believe that a cross or whatever is imbued with the power to keep 'evil' at bay then this in itself may be enough to alter your perception of any perceived threat, perhaps make you feel more positive. It doesn't mean the object itself has any real power outside your mind.

A sort of spiritual placebo effect.

Oppressive atmospheres

I have lived in such a place. In fact I was bought up in such a place. I didn't know feeling scared of prescenses was unusual until much later in life. They also followed us around, we moved from London to P'boro.

It took encounters with several exorcists, including some charlatans before the situation was resolved.

Now you know why she drinks so much, she
cannot confront whatever it is.

Feeling brave? Go back and tell it you know it
is there. See if it gives you any communication.
It may. If it does, try to understand whatever the
problem is that has caused it to want to be stuck
in the house. If you let it know you do, it may leave
right then..........or after you let it know that it is sitting
stuck in a house when it is free to go, (they usually
don't realize it for whatever reason).

If you don't feel any communication has occured, or the
communication is mean spirited or frightening to you,
simply tell it to leave, scram, get out. Tell it in a way that
lets it know in no uncertain terms that your word is final.

It may leave then.

In any case, you will certainly confuse and dazzle your cousin!

You think it's brave to sit in a house and "Talk" to electro-magnetic fields/neurosis?

I find that a tad ridiculous matey. No offense. "It". lol.

I think you're somewhat over-evaluating the situation and assuming it's something in the realms of fantasy.

There's a biker pub in the town I live called The Lion, and that induces extreme depressive feelings but it's got nowt to do with the spirits in there (Vodka, Whiskey etc...:D), it's the Goddamn lack of any form of enthusiasm towards the customer.

Maybe the house just needs rewiring and decorating.

I'd deffinately check the electrical status.

Si thi.

Spill. ;)

Back