• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pat Condell: Anti-Religious Comic Genius, or Gobsh*te?

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
If you want more, Pat Condell has a website, here:
http://www.patcondell.net/

It starts off:

Hi, I'm Pat Condell.
I don't respect your beliefs
and I don't care if you're offended.
Cheers.

Now we've got the formalities out of the way
let me tell you about my new stand-up comedy show

FAITH HOPE & SANITY

A few jokes about RELIGION before it kills us all

Well, it's honest, and it's different! :D

PS: I've just noticed....

Web site designed & hosted by Unintelligent Design © 2006 at Homestead™ :D

rynner said:
and it's different! :D
you don't frequent the religions and cults forum on the FTMB often then? C'mon. no it ain't. you've heard it all before.
rynner said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
Having watched it, have to say, however annoying the opinionated gobshite might be, from his perspective, he's not wrong.
opinionated gobshite, eh?
Unlike all the Bible-bashing fundies and evangelists, then! ;)
So you champion fundamentalism then? No you don't, c'mon.

All Pat's stuff is here for all to see and hear (posted months ago on my SuperTube thread).

I think the guy is a genius and has HUGE balls! (Hmm, do any of the current Gods have big balls? I saw a play at school, about 30 years ago, were gOD (see what I did there) was a black woman! Madness! EVERYONE knows Jesus looks exactly like Robert Powell! It's THE law!)

I'm with you rynner!

And - I feel sorry for ALL the dipsticks out there - you know who you are...

...you're gunna post and slag me off!

EDIT - I'm sorry I posted the YouTube link now - if I'd known how much bitterness it created I'd have posted it twice (which, ironically, as it turns out, I did!)

MISSING Link

Peace!

Since this Pat Condell chappie's qualifications as a Bible scholar are in some doubt, I suggest that one of his fans starts a Thread. in Religion and Cults, or Fortean Culture, just for him.

Stuff it, I've split this off from the Bible's Purpose Thread. So, Play on. ;)

The Emperor’s New Suit
by
Hans Christian Andersen
(1837)

MANY, many years ago lived an emperor, who thought so much of new clothes that he spent all his money in order to obtain them; his only ambition was to be always well dressed. He did not care for his soldiers, and the theatre did not amuse him; the only thing, in fact, he thought anything of was to drive out and show a new suit of clothes. He had a coat for every hour of the day; and as one would say of a king “He is in his cabinet,” so one could say of him, “The emperor is in his dressing-room.”

The emperor marched in the procession under the beautiful canopy, and all who saw him in the street and out of the windows exclaimed: “Indeed, the emperor’s new suit is incomparable! What a long train he has! How well it fits him!” Nobody wished to let others know he saw nothing, for then he would have been unfit for his office or too stupid. Never emperor’s clothes were more admired.

“But he has nothing on at all,” said a little child at last. “Good heavens! listen to the voice of an innocent child,” said the father, and one whispered to the other what the child had said. “But he has nothing on at all,” cried at last the whole people. That made a deep impression upon the emperor, for it seemed to him that they were right; but he thought to himself, “Now I must bear up to the end.” And the chamberlains walked with still greater dignity, as if they carried the train which did not exist.

http://hca.gilead.org.il/emperor.html
During HCA's adolescence, his mother's folk-based superstition is balanced by the religious rationalism and intellectual curiosity of his father.

http://tinyurl.com/352tfg

Do you think we could have some context for those Hans Christian Andersen quotes, Rynner?

You might mean something about Condell being like the little boy who shouts out that the Emperor has no clothes, or, something about something else?

I'm guessing here. ;)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I'm guessing here. ;)
You're guessing well!

Therefore I guess that you are not unfit for [..] office or too stupid! :D

They wear their ignorance as a badge of honour, and they hold very strong opinions about what other people should think.
Aint that the truth!

Gobshite, I'd say.

When people talk about what 'religion' does they tend to be as accurate as theists are when they talk about the various sins of atheists like Stalin, Hitler or any number of low rent criminals who demonstrate no religious beliefs.

Also if he wants to call himself a comedian he might want to think a little about his technique. He's certainly no match for Bernard Manning who, incidentally, shared a lot of similar targets.

Well he IS a professional (he gets paid for it) stand-up comic and people DO walk out of his gigs when offended (as do most people at any gig). So in that sense he IS Manning like. But I don't think he has quite the same following.

Frobush said:
Well he IS a professional (he gets paid for it) stand-up comic and people DO walk out of his gigs when offended (as do most people at any gig). So in that sense he IS Manning like. But I don't think he has quite the same following.

Quite right. Sir Bernard always drew the line at making jokes about the mentally ill.

ted_bloody_maul said:
Frobush said:

Quite right. Sir Bernard always drew the line at making jokes about the mentally ill.

* COMMENTATOR - "'Fro' is down on the deck. It looks bad! He's not moving! 'ted_bloody_maul' is dancing around, hands in the air, it looks all over..."

* REF "... - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - ..."

* COMMENTATOR "But wait - 'Fro' is up! He's running around! This is quite amazing!"

We're not going to agree - so sod it! Carry on (without me)!

Well, er, yes it is! GREEN 'forever' and all! (I love those little digs!)

I think the argument has been taken up via PM!

Maybe you'll all get to see the edited highlights in a bit! Saves me getting into another flame war! :shock:

If you press your AMBER button you may get to see the action from differnt angles! Who knows!

Smug sanctimony at its very best. glorious.

Have to say, I've watched all of these now and I didn't laugh once. Is it really supposed to be comedy? And if so, how is it funny? Is it funny because he's ridiculing people of faith?

It comes across to me, and I'm not even a Christian, as bitter and purile, so Gawd only knows what people of faith must think. I'm beginning to think this guy went to a Catholic school and was bullied or something because all it sounds like to me is hate-mongering. Not exactly comedy.

I wouldn't go a far as to say comic genius, but he's right and not a gobshite, ta for the 2nd link Fro, one diocese in the US has just paid out 600 million dollars to folk its priests had sexually abused, so apart from why so many peado's become priests, how fuk!ng rich is the catholic church ? and why doesn't it do some good deeds with the wealth, like building massive amounts of roads and wells and wind turbines in Africa, I bet it owns huge farms all over that poor benighted continent. A line from an old fire sign theatre album "Christianity is stupid" says it all and is simple and concise.

crunchy5 said:
I wouldn't go a far as to say comic genius, but he's right and not a gobshite
but is he funny? and if so, why?

ghostdog19 said:
crunchy5 said:
Yes, he is funny, he's funny because he makes some of us laugh. We don't all laugh at the same things.

beakboo said:
ghostdog19 said:
crunchy5 said:
Yes, he is funny, he's funny because he makes some of us laugh.
That doesn't actually explain why he's funny or what you found so amusing about what he said or how he said it. That's just identifying a given I think everybody can appreciate in that if we're laughing, the person who made us laugh is clearly funny to us who laugh. But what I'm asking is why? What do you find funny about what he said?

I've got to admit, even though I agree with a lot of what he says, although by no means all, his attitude still make me want to punch him on the nose. Not that I would, he just makes me feel that way. It's like reading to many über skeptic Posts over on the Randi Fan Forums.

I don't mind the reductio ad absurdum arguments he uses, it's the 'If you don't agree with me, your an idiot.' atitude. I've know several devout believers, in various faiths and very few of those were idiots. It is that Dawkins thing, 'We are right, because we know the truth based on facts, irrefutable logic and the appliance of science, you are all blind superstitious fools, etc.'

Hubris and smug arrogance seem to ooze from every pixel of Condell's vids. Perhaps, he's a bit warmer in person?

Back