• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pay Attention To Court Jesters

Middlecoat

Vanished like an old oak table
Since posting here I've started to recall a few odd experiences over the years.

About 15 years ago I was single, bringing up my son and working full time. Life was a bit of a drudge and I was quite lonely really.

One night I had a really vivid dream. I was dressed in medieval clothing and walking through some woodland with what I can only describe as a court jester for company. He was straight out of central casting, little, annoying and with one of those bladder things on a stick. Anyway he told me he had something to show me and led me to an ornate castle doorway. Inside the door was a large banqueting hall filled with drunken Vikings. It was absolute bedlam. They were shouting, cursing and throwing food.

The jester drew my attention to one man who was being particularly obnoxious. He was short, stocky and loud. I definitely wrinkled my nose as I watched his antics and then turned to the jester in alarm. I said 'that's my husband isn't it?' The reply was in the affirmative with the added comment that he wore his horns on the inside of his helmet!!!! The jester then took me out for some fresh air. I recall a sort of resigned dissatisfaction.

There were several things wrong with the dream, including the obvious mish mash of time periods, the fact that Vikings have never worn horned helmets and for all I know they may have had impeccable manners. I actually recognised the Castle. It was Berry Pomeroy in Devon a place myself and my late parents loved to visit.

A short time passed and I was introduced to my now partner by a neighbour. As soon as I clapped eyes on him I recognised him as the Viking in my dream. Everything about him screamed familiarity. We have been together ten years but are not married. He is a right handful and behaves exactly like a marauding Viking on shore leave. In fact he is a right royal pain in the ass.

I'm really miffed the jester wasn't more specific in his warning........

That comment about 'wearing horns on the inside' sounds pretty symbolic, indicating personality type.
There is lots in it to be unpicked. The fact it was set in a place special to myself and my deceased parents is a bit of a head scratcher. I suppose they might have liked him but I'm not sure!!!

Well, there's the "cosmic joker" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cosmic+Joker
...perhaps the cosmic joker is also a cosmic jester? ;)

Also, it brings to mind the Shakespearean type of fool who knows and sees everything because of his role.

Alicatgreen, you mention that you recognized your future partner when you met him, but aside from the sense of familiarity, how did you feel about him otherwise? Did you feel attracted, connected, fated, resigned (as in the dream), or anything else? In other words, what led to you to choose him as a partner, despite that dream vision?

Since posting here I've started to recall a few odd experiences over the years.

About 15 years ago I was single, bringing up my son and working full time. Life was a bit of a drudge and I was quite lonely really.

One night I had a really vivid dream. I was dressed in medieval clothing and walking through some woodland with what I can only describe as a court jester for company. He was straight out of central casting, little, annoying and with one of those bladder things on a stick. Anyway he told me he had something to show me and led me to an ornate castle doorway. Inside the door was a large banqueting hall filled with drunken Vikings. It was absolute bedlam. They were shouting, cursing and throwing food.

The jester drew my attention to one man who was being particularly obnoxious. He was short, stocky and loud. I definitely wrinkled my nose as I watched his antics and then turned to the jester in alarm. I said 'that's my husband isn't it?' The reply was in the affirmative with the added comment that he wore his horns on the inside of his helmet!!!! The jester then took me out for some fresh air. I recall a sort of resigned dissatisfaction.

There were several things wrong with the dream, including the obvious mish mash of time periods, the fact that Vikings have never worn horned helmets and for all I know they may have had impeccable manners. I actually recognised the Castle. It was Berry Pomeroy in Devon a place myself and my late parents loved to visit.

A short time passed and I was introduced to my now partner by a neighbour. As soon as I clapped eyes on him I recognised him as the Viking in my dream. Everything about him screamed familiarity. We have been together ten years but are not married. He is a right handful and behaves exactly like a marauding Viking on shore leave. In fact he is a right royal pain in the ass.

I'm really miffed the jester wasn't more specific in his warning........

Alicatgreen, this sounds very much like another example of the forces of Enchantment; this time, examining your mind while you slept. These forces are continually on the go, searching this way and that, in their endeavour to bring harmony to this dimension. All of us are subject to these forces, in which our wants, needs, wishes, desires and interests are sorted and balanced. In their efforts to achieve a perfect balance, or as near as possible, they are able to take from the past, present and future; though they must be pertinent to the present. When I say present, I mean both the immediate present and future present. The future present meaning: within ones expected life-span.

Dependent upon the vagaries of our future actions, those results will be played out to their conclusions to the best that can be achieved. Therefore, it is no surprise, though it seems so to us, that your affected dreams or part of them come true. Which means, of course, that fate had already decried from the moment of your dream, who would best be suited as a partner for yourself. Those forces would have enacted upon your partner as well, though he may not of had a dream, as such, Yet he may of, and then forgotten. Therefore: you were fated to meet and the most harmonious action you can take is, actually, to do nothing. In that respect, your dream was, actually, a genuine presage of the future: your future and that of your partner.

Your Shakespearean Fool, Stuart

Well, there's the "cosmic joker" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cosmic Joker
...perhaps the cosmic joker is also a cosmic jester? ;)

Also, it brings to mind the Shakespearean type of fool who knows and sees everything because of his role.

Alicatgreen, you mention that you recognized your future partner when you met him, but aside from the sense of familiarity, how did you feel about him otherwise? Did you feel attracted, connected, fated, resigned (as in the dream), or anything else? In other words, what led to you to choose him as a partner, despite that dream vision?

Resigned. I didn't choose him, he chose me. I call him herpes. It goes away but one is never free of it.

Alicatgreen, this sounds very much like another example of the forces of Enchantment; this time, examining your mind while you slept. These forces are continually on the go, searching this way and that, in their endeavour to bring harmony to this dimension. All of us are subject to these forces, in which our wants, needs, wishes, desires and interests are sorted and balanced. In their efforts to achieve a perfect balance, or as near as possible, they are able to take from the past, present and future; though they must be pertinent to the present. When I say present, I mean both the immediate present and future present. The future present meaning: within ones expected life-span.
Dependent upon the vagaries of our future actions, those results will be played out to their conclusions to the best that can be achieved. Therefore, it is no surprise, though it seems so to us, that your affected dreams or part of them come true. Which means, of course, that fate had already decried from the moment of your dream, who would best be suited as a partner for yourself. Those forces would have enacted upon your partner as well, though he may not of had a dream, as such, Yet he may of, and then forgotten. Therefore: you were fated to meet and the most harmonious action you can take is, actually, to do nothing. In that respect, your dream was, actually, a genuine presage of the future: your future and that of your partner.
Your Shakespearean Fool, Stuart
It would be nice if they left me alone!!

I'm concerned for your situation. Is your relationship just annoying, or could it be described as abusive? Do you feel trapped? I've been involved with partners who have "their horns on the inside of their helmets."

It's not my business at all but if you are describing your relationship as "herpes" it may not be the relationship for you. Is this all in good fun? We often describe our love-mates in less than glowing terms merely for amusement. That's great play and can be healthy. My Grandma Hanna described her husband as 'shithooks' but she loved him with all her soul. If you find yourself bound to this "Viking" only because of a dream with a jester warning, you might re-examine the whole shebang.
I'm not suggesting you've made poor choices, I want to be sure you are both safe and happy.

Again, none of my business, just want the best for everyone here.

I recommend Christopher Moore novels for info on jesters who are not bad but really troublesome.

Wow. Sorry.... That is unbelievably presumptuous.

Do you often find yourself critiquing the affairs of people you've never met, and suggesting they might need help on the basis of a single posting on an internet forum?

Have you considered re-examining your tendency to stick your oar into very private matters that are really none of your business?
Point taken. I may have overstepped. I intended to be somewhat provocative. I crossed a line. I made many assumptions. I apologize.
Still, if it turns out someone needed to hear that? How Fortean would that be?

Wow. Sorry.... That is unbelievably presumptuous.

Do you often find yourself critiquing the affairs of people you've never met, and suggesting they might need help on the basis of a single posting on an internet forum?

Have you considered re-examining your tendency to stick your oar into very private matters that are really none of your business?

Might be the help/wake-up call that the OP needed, though... You never know.

Might be the help/wake-up call that the OP needed, though... You never know.

Good point. We are supposed to be anonymous on here so giving advice to a stranger isn't rude. They're not obliged to respond graciously.

Had a bit of that myself, when posters have described certain paranormal experiences which sound like signs of epilepsy. I've advised them to find out more about it and consider seeing their doctor. (A touchy subject here in the UK as people who have seizures aren't allowed to drive, so they need to tread carefully.)

Received certain advice back, once or twice! :eek:

Had to be said though.

It more the undermining of someone elses relationship on the grounds of a couple of sentences, no context, no history, nothing that irked me.

Its literally the equivalent of going up to on overweight person in the street and saying "It looks like me like you're really fat - thats bad for your health. You should go to your doctor, or try WeighWatchers"

You are right, it is impertinent, but not exactly like buttonholing a stranger in a pub. Easier to ignore for a start.

Middlewich Street isn't looking too bad. Held me up a bit on way to the tip.

There was an infant school there a mere three decades ago. Those children had a narrow escape.

Point taken. I may have overstepped. I intended to be somewhat provocative. I crossed a line. I made many assumptions. I apologize.
Still, if it turns out someone needed to hear that? How Fortean would that be?

Anyone who in public describes their relationship as "herpes" is plainly asking for comment. My own reaction was the same as the JDC's.

Ah I never go that way. That unfortunate house on the corner of the Landfill View estate off Sydney Road looks a bit grim. The one that suffered an overdose of Range Rover.

The filth were in hot pursuit, I've heard.
Midd St is open to residents. Which I am. Well, a couple of streets away. Also as there's patently no work being done along there people're using it as normal.

The whole place will grind to a halt soon. We've been out cycling tonight. That's the way forward!

What an odd little thread. Did we ever get to the bottom of the horns situation? :thought:
Having re-read the original post I find myself still doubting anyone who says 'I immediately recognised xxxxxx from the person in my dream.' Now I have very vivid dream recall at times, but I think I'd be hard pressed to recognise any of the 'stock images' that my brain conjures up, in waking life. I suspect that a dream figure is a nebulous image (even when I dream of my own children, I more 'know who it is' in the dream than seeing their actual faces) and that when we see someone when we are awake it isn't a direct overlay but more of a 'the dream person was a tall dark haired male, this is a dark haired male, therefore it must be the same person' interpretation on the part of our brain.

Rather like the feeling of deja vu, where we 'know' we've done this before, but we haven't, it's just a misfire of the brain.

Having re-read the original post I find myself still doubting anyone who says 'I immediately recognised xxxxxx from the person in my dream.' Now I have very vivid dream recall at times, but I think I'd be hard pressed to recognise any of the 'stock images' that my brain conjures up, in waking life. I suspect that a dream figure is a nebulous image (even when I dream of my own children, I more 'know who it is' in the dream than seeing their actual faces) and that when we see someone when we are awake it isn't a direct overlay but more of a 'the dream person was a tall dark haired male, this is a dark haired male, therefore it must be the same person' interpretation on the part of our brain.

Rather like the feeling of deja vu, where we 'know' we've done this before, but we haven't, it's just a misfire of the brain.
Occasionally I meet dream inhabitants with particularly memorable features, such that if I were to meet them in real life I might do a double take and think "they look just like the person in that dream I had that time". This has never happened, and if it were to happen it would need to happen within a couple of months, or the memory of the face/features would just fade.

Occasionally I meet dream inhabitants with particularly memorable features, such that if I were to meet them in real life I might do a double take and think "they look just like the person in that dream I had that time". This has never happened, and if it were to happen it would need to happen within a couple of months, or the memory of the face/features would just fade.
I think, in order for it to be really credible, you would have to sketch your 'dream faces' on waking and then compare them to real life people on meeting. In my opinion there's too much 'slippage' between dream-memory and real life and it's too easy for the brain to impose its view of 'things it has definitely, positively, really, honest guv' remembered, and real faces. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I do think it's easy for us to believe our memories implicitly, when they are, demonstrably, fallible.

I see a LOT of faces every day and there are a lot of generalised similarities between a lot of people. As I've reported on here elsewhere, some of my customers are very alike, despite having no relatives in common. I could easily mistake one of them for another, in real life, and that's without bringing dreams into the equation.

I've had this experience. In the long run, it did not go well.

Back