• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Peg Entwistle - Hollywood Sign Suicide

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
I've always kind of taken as fact the story that Peg Entwistle killed herself by jumping from the Hollywood sign.

Having read the 'wiki' facts of the case though it strikes me as very inconclusive.

On Sunday, September 18, 1932, an anonymous woman telephoned the police and said that while hiking she had found a body below the Hollywood sign (which then read Hollywoodland) and then, according to a police transcript of the call, "wrapped a jacket, shoes and purse in a bundle and laid them on the steps of the Hollywood Police Station." A detective and two radio car officers found the body of a moderately well-dressed, blonde-haired, blue-eyed woman in the 100-foot ravine below the sign. Entwistle remained unidentified until her uncle connected her two-day absence with the description and initials P.E. on a suicide note which had been found in the purse and published by the newspapers. He said that on Friday the 16th she had told him she was going for a walk to a drugstore and see some friends. The police surmised that instead, she made her way from his Beachwood Drive home up the nearby southern slope of Mount Lee to the foot of the Hollywoodland sign, climbed a workman's ladder to the top of the "H" and jumped. The suicide note as published read:
"I am afraid, I am a coward. I am sorry for everything. If I had done this a long time ago, it would have saved a lot of pain. P.E."

Granted, this is Wikipedia, but still. Some very curious things in there.

a) The mysterious caller who discovered the body while hiking and then took artefacts from the scene and anonymously left them at the police station.
b) The leap from her last known contact being to declare she was walking to meet friends to 'she must have climbed the sign and jumped'.
c) The suicide note, could mean many things - not necessarily suicide, and was found in the purse the mystery woman transported from the scene to the station.

In the murky world of 1930s LA surely there must have been at least the suspicion that something more was involved than just an open and shut suicide?

Maybe the Wiki story is just really poorly written, but I had always assumed witnesses had seen her jump and the story was set in bona fide fact. At best it is circumstantial and at worst seems entirely plausible to be an invented course of events.

Anyone know anything more of this case that maybe solidifies the legend?

EDIT:
http://allanellenberger.com/book-flm-ne ... s-suicide/
This article provides a few more details. While it answers some Qs it asks more As. The notion that she left her home that is a mere walk from the sign is slightly flawed as the pics in that article show that while it was visible at the end of her street it was some distance off. And in that area of LA it is visible from the end of hundreds of streets.

Furthermore, it mentions talk of a broken relationship as a potential cause of her suicide. Playing at amateur Jessica Fletcher here, could it not be that the suicide note is in fact a breaking up note? The initials added after the event? Would handwriting analysis have been used in 1932?

A theory, and I'm just speculating, could be made that her relationship with Mr X had ended, she was carrying his note in her purse and was unable to get over the break up, wanting to move on and be with Miss X (maybe the anonymous caller), Mr X either lured her to the Hollywood hills and pushed her down the ravine or arranged to meet there before an argument or squabble led to her falling.

Her injuries certainly point to a fall and it would seem a bizarre method to choose to murder someone, potential of them surviving, although would be an ideal way to cover up and make it look like an accident or a suicide.

And if foul play was involved why would a potential accomplice alert the police to the location of the body?

There is probably very clear evidence that the police in 1932 had which did not leave any shadow of doubt. And the retelling of the story down the years has presumably added embellishments which have become 'fact'. However, I still find it very peculiar how the theory was made that she must have jumped. I can almost buy the surmising that it was from letter H - position of the body, maybe that was the only letter with a ladder attached. Curious.

The Peg Entwistle tragedy received its widest readership in Kenneth Anger's first Hollywood Babylon book, and many take the details of the story to be the same as that source. However, Anger wasn't above embellishing his tales, but this one seems to have occured largely as it was reported.

It's a striking story, with deep sadness mixed with a sort of confirmation that following the stars is the road to ruin, but whether she actually jumped off the sign or not the fact remains she did die by her own hand and she did think she was a failure. Not the first and not the last.

True enough there must be very clear evidence, but the facts I've read this arvo do not seem to give any clear indication how the police went from a tip off about a body at the bottom of a ravine to concluding it was a suicide leap from the Hollywood sign based on a suicide note found in a purse handed in by the anonymous tipster who alerted them to the body.

I always assumed it was cut and dried and she was a melodramatic jumper in front of an audience of onlookers pleading her to come down. The truth is very different to the legend, which has almost certainly been embellished.

I've never been there.....but I imagine it would be quite difficult to get up to the top of the bloody thing wouldn't it?

We visited last year and drove to the limits of the fancy houses at the foot to a dirt trail. Went as far as we could drive and the thing was still miles away and up a ridiculously steep hill that would take it out of anyone wanting to climb up.

There is a road that takes you right up there and round the back of it but we couldn't find it, not sure if it is still open to the public.

Of course, if you truly had intentions of going up and leaping off you would find a way and I suspect access would have been far easier in those days than now, where I believe CCTV ensures a helicopter is scrambled at the first sign of anyone approaching the sign itself.

MrRING said:

Interesting pieces.

I still think though that there are many unanswered questions. I am sure somewhere there is a police file that clearly joins the dots logically, but having assumed this was an open and shut jumper in front of witnesses case to actually reading some of the background I am compelled to wonder if there is more to it.

The suicide note for example:

"I am afraid I am a coward. I am sorry for everything. If I had done this a long time ago, it would have saved a lot of pain."

Still to me seems like it could be a break-up note.

When I have a bit more time I think I might dig deeper with a few emails to some of the people online in LA who seem to have an interest in this case and see if there is actual answers to some of the points that seem illogical to me.

I've always kind of taken as fact the story that Peg by jumping from the Hollywood sign.

Having read the 'wiki' facts of the case though it strikes me as very inconclusive.

a) The mysterious caller who discovered the body while hiking and then took artefacts from the scene and anonymously left them at the police station.
b) The leap from her last known contact being to declare she was walking to meet friends to 'she must have climbed the sign and jumped'.
c) The suicide note, could mean many things - not necessarily suicide, and was found in the purse the mystery woman transported from the scene to the station.

In the murky world of 1930s LA surely there must have been at least the suspicion that something more was involved than just an open and shut suicide?

Maybe the Wiki story is just really poorly written, but I had always assumed witnesses had seen her jump and the story was set in bona fide fact. At best it is circumstantial and at worst seems entirely plausible to be an invented course of events.

EDIT:
This article provides a few more details. While it answers some Qs it asks more As. The notion that she left her home that is a mere walk from the sign is slightly flawed as the pics in that article show that while it was visible at the end of her street it was some distance off. And in that area of LA it is visible from the end of hundreds of streets.

Furthermore, it mentions talk of a broken relationship as a potential cause of her suicide. Playing at amateur Jessica Fletcher here, could it not be that the suicide note is in fact a breaking up note? The initials added after the event? Would handwriting analysis have been used in 1932?

A theory, and I'm just speculating, could be made that her relationship with Mr X had ended, she was carrying his note in her purse and was unable to get over the break up, wanting to move on and be with Miss X (maybe the anonymous caller), Mr X either lured her to the Hollywood hills and pushed her down the ravine or arranged to meet there before an argument or squabble led to her falling.

Her injuries certainly point to a fall and it would seem a bizarre method to choose to murder someone, potential of them surviving, although would be an ideal way to cover up and make it look like an accident or a suicide.

And if foul play was involved why would a potential accomplice alert the police to the location of the body?

There is probably very clear evidence that the police in 1932 had which did not leave any shadow of doubt. And the retelling of the story down the years has presumably added embellishments which have become 'fact'. However, I still find it very peculiar how the theory was made that she must have jumped. I can almost buy the surmising that it was from letter H - position of the body, maybe that was the only letter with a ladder attached. Curious.
Interesting pieces.

I still think though that there are many unanswered questions. I am sure somewhere there is a police file that clearly joins the dots logically, but having assumed this was an open and shut jumper in front of witnesses case to actually reading some of the background I am compelled to wonder if there is more to it.

The suicide note for example:

"I am afraid I am a coward. I am sorry for everything. If I had done this a long time ago, it would have saved a lot of pain."

Still to me seems like it could be a break-up note.

When I have a bit more time I think I might dig deeper with a few emails to some of the people online in LA who seem to have an interest in this case and see if there is actual answers to some of the points that seem illogical to me.
I've always kind of taken as fact the story that Peg Entwistle killed herself by jumping from the Hollywood sign.

EDIT:

Gtttt

Late to comment.... Six years but a lie is a lie.
Just like you McAvennie, developped a curious feeling.
Did you know that the movie Thirteen Women had a satanist subject matter ?
That Peg's uncle and aunt (and possibly father) worked for the Hollywood industry ?

And a lot more.

Back