• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

Last weekend my youngest son attended the wedding of a woman that he's been friends with since his mid teens. It was her second wedding and while that's not unusual in itself, I have my doubts that this one will last. Her previous marriage fell apart when her husband left her and their child to live as a woman. Her new husband, a couple of years younger than her already has been unfaithful on a couple of occasions.
She has led a troubled life, but also seems to be one of those people that attracts trouble to them, no matter what opportunities come their way. She recently lost her job at a bank for taking too much time off work and although she has a wealthy, older relative who helps support her financially, she is always stumbling from one financial crisis to another.
I have always had a bad feeling around her, as though a dark cloud hangs over her head and can't foresee a good future for her.

Last weekend my youngest son attended the wedding of a woman that he's been friends with since his mid teens. It was her second wedding and while that's not unusual in itself, I have my doubts that this one will last. Her previous marriage fell apart when her husband left her and their child to live as a woman. Her new husband, a couple of years younger than her already has been unfaithful on a couple of occasions.
She has led a troubled life, but also seems to be one of those people that attracts trouble to them, no matter what opportunities come their way. She recently lost her job at a bank for taking too much time off work and although she has a wealthy, older relative who helps support her financially, she is always stumbling from one financial crisis to another.
I have always had a bad feeling around her, as though a dark cloud hangs over her head and can't foresee a good future for her.
I've known a handful of people like that. I have always thought that rather than attracting trouble, deep down they are very vulnerable, especially if they've had a troubled childhood. Leads to an inability to recognise potential consequences of what they do, almost the often talked about "restricted perception". Incredibly sad I think.

I've known a handful of people like that. I have always thought that rather than attracting trouble, deep down they are very vulnerable, especially if they've had a troubled childhood. Leads to an inability to recognise potential consequences of what they do, almost the often talked about "restricted perception". Incredibly sad I think.
Yup, it's often the  chancers taking advantage.
They can smell vulnerability.

I made the fatal mistake of going with a woman from Crewe years ago (and you know what they're like).
Everything had to be a drama somehow, if you know what I mean.
It wore me down.

And the lies man, the lies.
Severe mental issues there for sure.

Sometimes people can have undiagnosed fetal alcohol syndrome. It has only just come about that no amount of alcohol consumed when pregnant is safe for the fetus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fetal-alcohol-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20352901

Now that it's more commonly known there are more diagnoses, but those not as severely affected will be missed. And this has only, in recent years (about the past 20), been identified. I know that 40 years ago when I was working with children, it was not known/labeled.

MrsF's friend works for the council and she has told her that it is very difficult to get rid of useless employees.
Once you're there, you pretty much have a job for life by the sounds of it.

I don't know if this is true for all councils, or just this one.
From what I've experienced she's right.

There were also a lot of family ties in the Local Authorities I've worked for which feels a bit off to me as its difficult to know where interdepartmental boundries are, as well as being a bit worrying when it comes to confidentiality issues.

One place I worked seemed to have a lot of people married to other staff members ex spouses-

I served a bloke yesterday who really gave me the creeps. It hasn't happened to me before. He was with a gentleman with learning difficulties and I assume that he was working.

There was nothing particularly odd about him, but he communicated as little as he had to and his face never changed expression. He never smiled. I feel that when dealing with someone you look for confirmation or a reaction that your interactions are on the right track. Strangely though, I got a sense of menace from him.
I have a regular customer who is on the autistic spectrum. I know this now, from having dealt with him for nearly ten years, but I can imagine that he gives some of the newer, younger members of staff some bad feelings, poor chap. He's obviously been having coaching in 'how to fit in with NTs', because he now does the 'approach till, switch on unnaturally wide smile for three seconds....count....count... switch it off and behave as usual'. The smile is unnatural because it's a learned thing not a natural 'I am happy to see you' smile, and it makes him look a bit like a ventriloquist's dummy. It's far more unnerving than when he just avoided all eye contact and stayed expressionless. But he's trying....

Actually I logged on here to mention a chap I know who makes the hair on my neck stand up and my muscles tense. This is a fairly recent thing, as I have known him slightly for a while.

He seems pleasant enough, clean articulate with an authoritative manner. Involved in village politics and activities, Trustee for village hall, aiming for church council etc. Nothing I can put my finger on -but recently I just don't trust him and I cringe when he uses my name.

I had thought this was just me being weird, but having lunch with some friends last week and his name came up and one of them said it was odd, but he spoke to her last week and winked, she felt physically ill. Like me she has known him slightly for a while, but recently has taken to avoiding him whenever possible.

People like that, particularly women, are usually so overwhelmed by life that they're unable to differentiate a way out from a way down. They get overwhelmed because they never learned the strategies needed to not only survive but thrive. They're what I call "the crackers" - they fall between the cracks and never seek or find help. Always a sad situation, but it'll never change unless they choose to.

Anyhoo... back on topic.

There is an oldish bloke who has been in our local a couple of times with his wife. I would say they are mid 70s but don't act it,
She is just a typical wife but he gives me the screaming hab dabs. The horrible feeling of terror ( seriously and I am not easily swayed) I feel
.is overwhelming, I feel quite ill when he is around., He is that creepy. He reminds me of Pat Mustard the Milkman in Father Ted both in looks and personality. Not seen him around for a while and hope I never ever see him again. *Shivers* There is something evil but hidden if you know what I mean.

Anyhoo... back on topic.

There is an oldish bloke who has been in our local a couple of times with his wife. I would say they are mid 70s but don't act it,
She is just a typical wife but he gives me the screaming hab dabs. The horrible feeling of terror ( seriously and I am not easily swayed) I feel
.is overwhelming, I feel quite ill when he is around., He is that creepy. He reminds me of Pat Mustard the Milkman in Father Ted both in looks and personality. Not seen him around for a while and hope I never ever see him again. *Shivers* There is something evil but hidden if you know what I mean.
I come across one of those characters at events we attend. I really can't stand the sight of him, although he comes across to many people as very friendly, "life and soul," and normal. I know his history - mentally unstable, but covers it well - and what he has got up to in the past. I can honestly say he is the only individual in a personal life I'd like to have booted (one or two in work life I'd like to have done the same) but I have to grit my teeth for the sake of everyone else.
People with such 'over the top' personalities tend to make me think they're overcompensating for something deep.
Exactly this.

Was woken by a call on my mobile not long after 8AM the other day. Shat me up to start off with, as no-one ever calls that early and we're now on high alert when son with newly formed epilepsy isn't home, as we're worried he's having a seizure if an unrecognisable number rings us at a stupid time.

I was alone in the house as well, which added to the creepiness. I wrote it down word for word straight after on my phone Notes app. Voice was almost-not-quite robotic. Actually somehting about it sounded "wrong" but it also wasn't far off the mark of not being wrong.

I've had phishing emails, numerous attempts to hack (and now, this call) ever since I attracted the attention of some people with strange views online, some time back. (For existing in an online space where I've existed for well over a decade with no problem but there, I don't hold back and let's just say they have opposing socio-political opinions). So I'm guessing this is one more phishing attempt.

"I'm Sarah from the Housing Repair team. Can you please tell me what sort of problems you’re having in the house?"

That was all "Sarah" got to say as I hung up immediately (and of course never click on links or give out info, etc etc). I rent my house and do indeed have a Housing Repair team but they have no automated messaging system, don't have my mobile number anyway, and don't roll out of bed and into their offices til 10AM. Nor do they care or inquire what your issues are. They wait for you to call them then ignore the issues. Actively searching out issues isn't their style. If I'd been more gullible though...

It was a really creepy, odd voice. So close to being "normal" (whatever that is).

Sort of regret not staying on the line longer just to see what info they were trying to extract. Also... This suggests - in an A.I world, knowing that a voice "seems wrong" is going to be an important skill.

Last edited:
Was woken by a call on my mobile not long after 8AM the other day. Shat me up to start off with, as no-one ever calls that early and we're now on high alert when son with newly formed epilepsy isn't home, as we're worried he's having a seizure if an unrecognisable number rings us at a stupid time.

I was alone in the house as well, which added to the creepiness. I wrote it down word for word straight after on my phone Notes app. Voice was almost-not-quite robotic. Actually somehting about it sounded "wrong" but it also wasn't far off the mark of not being wrong.

I've had phishing emails, numerous attempts to hack (and now, this call) ever since I attracted the attention of some people with strange views online, some time back. (For existing in an online space where I've existed for well over a decade with no problem but there, I don't hold back and let's just say they have opposing socio-political opinions). So I'm guessing this is one more phishing attempt.

"I'm Sarah from the Housing Repair team. Can you please tell me what sort of problems you’re having in the house?"

That was all "Sarah" got to say as I hung up immediately (and of course never click on links or give out info, etc etc). I rent my house and do indeed have a Housing Repair team but they have no automated messaging system, don't have my mobile number anyway, and don't roll out of bed and into their offices til 10AM. Nor do they care or inquire what your issues are. They wait for you to call them then ignore the issues. Actively searching out issues isn't their style. If I'd been more gullible though...

But. This begs the q in an A.I world, knowing a voice that "seems wrong" is going to be an important skill.

It was a really creepy, odd voice. So close to being "normal" (whatever that is).

Sort of regret not staying on the line longer just to see what info they were trying to extract.
Weird. People who feel wrong because they're not people! Interesting that it was "So close to being normal." Very creepy and disturbing given the rise of A.I. I hope this lot leave you alone from now on.

I worked in The Noarlunga Abbatoirs in my youth, due to there being only seasonal work in the area, and every now and again the process of slaughter involved attracted 'certain' people.

The majority were good souls who did the job because they needed to...but every now and again there were people who gave off a certain aura - Interestingly, they usually didn't last long in the job.

I get that same impression with this fellow...I wonder what he's listening to..?

I know when walking the dogs that the spidey senses begin to tingle and someone will be close by who feels wrong. Invariably they will be shabbily dressed and in a hoodie of sorts, but I don’t see this until I get close up to them.
The dogs invariably try and pull away from these people. Not sure if they think the person feels wrong or they are picking up a bad vibe from me.

This hoodie thing always reminds me of the ghost stories involving monks in hooded habits. The head is covered and the face barely visible, if at all. I wonder if this is the modern day version of the phantom monk?

I know when walking the dogs that the spidey senses begin to tingle and someone will be close by who feels wrong. Invariably they will be shabbily dressed and in a hoodie of sorts, but I don’t see this until I get close up to them.
The dogs invariably try and pull away from these people. Not sure if they think the person feels wrong or they are picking up a bad vibe from me.

This hoodie thing always reminds me of the ghost stories involving monks in hooded habits. The head is covered and the face barely visible, if at all. I wonder if this is the modern day version of the phantom monk?
Don't forget Robin i'the Hood, too! (And Odin going about in disguise, wearing a hood).

Back