• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pepper's Ghost

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
How a scientific illusion became a fierce gorilla

JOE SCHWARCZ
Freelance

Sunday, April 04, 2004

I think it must have been around 1960 when I was attacked by a gorilla. It happened at Belmont Park, a classic old-time amusement park in Montreal where side shows were a hot attraction. Large canvases with peeling paint advertised fat ladies, sword swallowers, living skeletons and a "gorgeous woman who would magically transform into a ferocious gorilla in front of the spectator's eyes." This I had to see!

After paying a quarter, I was ushered to a corner of a large tent where a cabinet, somewhat larger than a phone booth, had been set up. Judging by the gaudy picture of a half woman-half ape that adorned the side of the contraption, it was clear that this was where the miraculous transformation would take place. Indeed, as the lights came on, we saw a lady shackled to two posts inside the cabinet. She seemed pretty harmless to me, so why she had to be shackled wasn't clear. I thought the whole thing would probably turn out to be some sort of scam, like the "living skeleton" who was actually just a very thin man. But no! Truly as if by magic, the lady slowly morphed into a gorilla, growled fiercely and began to vigorously rattle its chains. Then, as the noise got louder, and the gorilla's struggle intensified, the shackles suddenly gave way and the beast bolted from the cabinet, scaring the daylights out of me and the rest of the gathering. We scampered towards the exit. When I looked back, the man in the monkey suit was gone, and the next group was already being assembled in front of the cabinet.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I had just witnessed one of the greatest scientific illusions ever devised. I had just seen Pepper's Ghost. Actually, if you really want to get technical, it was really Dirck's Ghost, as modified by Pepper. To understand what all of this means, come back with me for a moment to Victorian London. The date is Dec. 24, 1862, and you're sitting in the audience at the Royal Polytechnic Institute in Regent Street. You have heard of the wonderful lectures put on by "Professor" John Henry Pepper and have come to be entertained by his scientific experiments. The Polytechic, founded in 1838, was sort of a permanent science fair to which the public flocked to view the latest technological marvels and listen to fascinating lectures. The most entertaining presentations were by John Pepper, who had been captivated by chemistry since childhood and now revelled in bringing science to the public in a theatrical fashion. He explained the workings of steam engines, diving bells and poisons. Then, using a projection microscope and a giant screen, he terrified the audience by showing microbes cavorting in a drop of London drinking water.

On this December day, though, the professor had something special for his audience. The curtain went up to reveal a scene from Charles Dickens' The Haunted Man. A student was seen hunched over a desk, when suddenly a ghostly skeleton appeared and seemed to float right through him. The audience burst into spontaneous applause at the appearance of Pepper's Ghost.

Pepper, as manager of the Polytechnic, had always been on the lookout for novel acts and demonstrations. So when a Liverpool civil engineer named Henry Dircks approached him with an invention he claimed would astound audiences, Pepper was ready to listen. Dircks asked Pepper to look down into a box he was holding. As Dircks manipulated a flap on the side of the box, Pepper was absolutely flabbergasted to see the appearance of little ghostly characters. The "ghosts," Dircks explained, were reflections of figures hidden in the box in front of a glass plate. Unless they were lit, all that was visible was the back of the box through the glass plate. But when a flap was opened to let in some light, the figures were reflected in the glass, with their image appearing to be as far behind the glass as the figures were in front of it.

Actually, we have all witnessed this phenomenon. Just think about what you see when you look out through a window from a lit room into the dark night. Reflections of objects in the room appear to be floating outside. To his credit, Pepper recognized the potential of Dircks' discovery for producing theatrical effects. He designed a large glass plate for the stage, tilted towards the audience at a 45 degree angle. A second, essentially identical stage, was built where normally the orchestra pit might be. This is where the "ghosts" cavorted in front of black drapes. When this stage was dark, the audience just saw the scene behind the glass plate. But as the limelight slowly came on, and the illumination on the real stage dimmed, the reflections of the characters appeared as if they were transparent ghosts. With proper synchronization, they could even interact with the actors on stage.

Some in the audience believed they had seen a real paranormal event, but Pepper was quick to explain that it was all a trick of science. He then went on to castigate the spiritualist mediums, who were very popular at the time, suggesting that they also used tricks to prey upon the gullible. Today, if you want to experience the most spectacular display of Pepper's Ghost ever created, just visit the Haunted House at a Disney theme park. Or, if you're lucky, you can still find a carnival where a woman turns into a gorilla.

----------

Joe Schwarcz is director of McGill University's Office for Science and Society (http://www.OSS.McGill.ca). He can be heard every Sunday from 3-4 p.m. on CJAD. [email protected]

Source

I saw an example of the "Pepper's Ghost" technique on TV a few years ago in one of those "astounding stage magic" programmes. The scene was set up as a Victorian drawing-room, where an elderly widow mourns her husband. His hat and coat are on a stand and she gently brushes the garments and holds them to her face. Gradually, they transform into the figure of her husband in his youth, while she "steps out" of her body to dance with him again as a young girl while her "older self" rests on a couch. The act finishes with him taking her to Heaven (presumably), while her "old" body stays on the couch next to the empty hat and coat. It was extremely clever and moving, guaranteed no camera tricks were involved and I'll never forget it!

I caught the Gorillaz's MTV awards act this afternoon on Channel 5, here's how they did it:

Gorillaz ape a Victorian parlour trick for a bit of stage presence
By Adam Sherwin, Media Reporter

THEIR show is a stunning mixture of animation, music and 3D technology. But the truth behind the cutting edge Gorillaz live experience can now be revealed: it is a Victorian illusion you can do at home.
Last night, Damon Albarn’s 10 million-selling creation made history by performing simultaneously at the MTV Europe Awards in Lisbon and at the Opera House, Manchester.

The Portuguese audience saw ghostly, billboard-sized versions of the characters 2D and Murdoc perform their award-winning hit Feel Good Inc on virtual instruments.

But at a behind-the-scenes visit to their Lisbon rehearsal, The Times learnt that the truth is far less hi-tech than audiences might think. In reality, it is a “smoke and mirrors” illusion.

Cara Speller, producer of the Gorillaz live extravaganza at the London animation house Passion Pictures, said: “It’s quite old technology. It’s essentially Pepper’s Ghost, which was a Victorian invention of reflection and projection on to mirrors.”

Pepper’s Ghost was the key precursor of the cinema show on British fairgrounds. In 1862, John Henry Pepper of the Royal Polytechnic Institution in London created a machine that used mirrors and lenses to project a ghostly image.

To make Pepper’s Ghost appear, someone offstage would be highlighted so that the light waves bounced off a piece of glass, strategically placed at an angle. The reflected image would appear to be onstage. It is the same principle used in fighter aircraft, where a ghostly image of graphic flight and radar data float before the pilot.

Ms Speller said that they had merely updated the process with special materials “to do what we need to”.

Amateur animators could create their own chart-topping multimedia project at home with a glass mirror, candle, a piece of black fabric and a grounding in GCSE physics.

However, a state-of-the-art software package and the vision of Jamie Hewlett, a graphic designer and founding Gorillaz member, would be needed truly to match the effect. Ms Speller added: “Our Gorillaz aren’t holograms because holographic technology isn’t quite up to what we need. It is digital animation projected on special transparent foil in a way that appears holographic.”

Gorillaz have held discussions with George Lucas’s Industrial Light & Magic studio about incorporating further advances in 3D computer technology for a global tour in 2007.

Gorillaz are performing for five nights in Manchester, where the audience were told that 2D and Murdoc could not attend last night because they were in Lisbon. Blur singer Albarn formed Gorillaz with Tank Girl artist Hewlett in 2001, selling six million copies of their debut album. The follow-up, Demon Days, has passed the four million mark.

Niamh Byrne, Gorillaz’ manager, said: “We debuted Gorillaz live at the Brits four years ago but only now has the technology caught up with Damon and Jamie’s vision. Even now we have only touched the surface of what will be possible on the world tour in 2007 in terms of skin tone, moving hair and interaction with the audience.”

Times Online

We need to hear more about Pepper's Ghost.

The Pepper's Ghost illusion was used to resurrect Michael Jackson at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards.
(From the Sydney Morning Herald, 2014)
Michael Jackson not a hologram at Billboard Music Awards 2014

The two-dimensional illusion technique is widely known as "Pepper's Ghost", after 18th-century British scientist John Henry Pepper, who developed it from the invention of British engineer Henry Dircks. It was first used during a Christmas Eve production of Charles Dickens's playThe Haunted Man in 1862, then adopted in British theatre and magic circles. These days, low-budget versions are used at theme parks, but similar technology is also used in televisions newsreaders' teleprompters.

That doesn't mean Jackson's appearance was a cheap trick knocked up on the run. According to billboard.com, Jackson's "appearance" was the result of nearly six months "planning, choreography and filming, not to mention the development of new technology". With only eight days until Monday's Billboard show, even edgy event producers hadn't seen any footage.

Other characters, both alive and deceased, have been presented in the same way:

The same high-quality Pepper's Ghost technique has been used widely in recent years, such as Tupac Shakur's "hologram" performance at the 2012 Coachella Music and Arts Festival. Madonna used it when she performed besides cartoon members of Damon Albarn's Gorillaz group at the 2006 Grammy Awards.

India's Prime Minister-elect Narendra Modi has used the technique many times to present speeches, most recently in April when he "appeared live" at 88 locations across India.

A life-sized Shane Warne was even shown off at the National Sports Museum at the MCG in 2008 using the technique.

AFAIK, Peppers Ghost wasn't used for seances. It requires a large hidden area, a large sheet of transparent material (glass) and strong directional lighting. It's just too complicated to do on a small scale. It only gets used in stage productions or fixed installations (such as haunted houses, theme parks etc).

I've seen it used as part of museum displays. You study the model of, say, the stone circle as it is now. When you press the button the gaps are filled in with stones and the sheep are replaced by ye olde people :)

AFAIK, Peppers Ghost wasn't used for seances. It requires a large hidden area, a large sheet of transparent material (glass) and strong directional lighting. It's just too complicated to do on a small scale. It only gets used in stage productions or fixed installations (such as haunted houses, theme parks etc).
People have also started using the technique at home for Halloween by laying down a flat screen TV on their living room floor and using the same traditional angled glass technique to create ghostly illusions for people walking past outside.

This effect is very similar to "heads up" displays in aircraft and cars. The speedometer on my car works using a variation of this method.

I thought I'd take a moment to elaborate on this, because it seems to me an over-complicated way to display my car's speed, even if the effect is rather pleasing. Unlike some heads-up displays, which project an image onto the bottom of a car's windscreen, mine keeps everything within the usual instrument binnacle. There's a fairly traditional rev-counter, with the speed shown as a digital display in the middle. It took me a little while to notice that the speedo wasn't quite on the same plane as the tachograph - it's actually projected from above onto a mirrored surface, so that the speed appears to be floating just behind the rest of the display. In this photo, I've deliberately taken the shot from an angle so that the "depth" is more apparent:

Z Heads up.jpg

I hope that this is, er, illuminating!

Last edited:
Back