• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

PETA wants Hamburg to change its name

ogopogo3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=1243703

PETA asks town to change its name

Hamburg, New York-AP -- An animal rights group doesn't care for the name of a western New York town. It thinks Hamburg should change its name to Veggieburg.

PETA (PEE'-tuh) says the name Hamburg "conjures up visions of unhealthy patties of ground-up dead cows."

It faxed a letter to the town supervisor offering to supply area schools with 15-thousand dollars worth of non-meat patties if Hamburg changes its name.

A PETA spokesman says the offer is "serious as a heart attack."

Hamburg Supervisor Patrick Hoak says no deal.

He says residents are "proud of our name and proud of our heritage."

The Buffalo suburb has been named Hamburg since 1812. It claims to be the birthplace of the hamburger, an event it commemorates with an annual Burgerfest.

Are these PETA people totally loopy or what??

Surely there are many more effective ways of helping animals than wittering on about changing the name of a
German city . . . pillocks every last one of them!:hmph:

Carole

They're not trying to change the name of the German Hamburg, but some small town in the US called Hamburg, though to be honest even attempting that is pretty ludicrous. Someone please tell me that this is an urban legend. :)

Then again, there is a town in New Mexico called "Truth or Consequences" after a game show of the same name. It was renamed that as part of a promotion for the game show and its stayed that way for decades. ;)

Are they the same people who complain about ribena being tested on animals?

I can understand people protesting about animals having cosmetics tested on them, but I wouldn't mind drinking a bit of syrupy black current squash if huntingtons life science are looking for human guineapigs...

Yes, the very same people who also forgot to renew their domain and complained when someone took it over to make this :)

I saw their website awhile back and it was equating the killing of animals in factory farming with the Holocaust. Now, even though I also think factory farming and it's methods are crap, I think such comparisons are even worse. Daft buggers.

Hot Dog!

I saw this news story on the television--they have a Hamburger festival there--the hamburgers shown in the news story weren't very impressive looking.

Maybe they should change their name to Hot Dog!

Some other places that conjure up images of cooked meat:

Vienna --Sausage
London -- Broil
New York -- Steak
Philadephia -- Steak
Montreal - Smoked Meat

I have been carrying around an idea for a t-shirt slogan for years now: SAVE A SQUID: EAT LAMB

It would be great with a nice XIXth century engraving of a squid on the front and a cute old woodcut of a lamb on the back.

The slogan parodies the human tendancy to be sentimental about cute fuzzy animals, while caring a fig about the ugly, squishy and nasty.

But when was the last time you saw a lamb learn to open a bottle? This trick has been learnt by octopi and even a type of shrimp.

How true. It has to be said, we show a certain lack of respect to the beasts of the sea, because they're not mammals like us, but I think that there is much more intelligence beneath our waves than we are willing to let ourselves believe.

You forgot about whales and dolphins, which are cute (and mammals), and are therefore offerred protection, which goes to prove your point.

Of course, there's a looming crisis with Blue Fin Tuna stocks, due to overfishing for the last mumble hundred years. Moves to protect the Blue Fin are likely to find difficulty in that they're so damn tasty, and a staple of much of the world's diet.

Still, to return to PETA's complaint. What about Frankfurt? Isn't there a Frankfurt in Virginia or somewhere that they should also be pressuring?

If they're going to be fruitloops, they could at least be consistent about it.

These are the sort of people responsible for my gaining 4lbs in the last few weeks after that bloody advert with the pig and the plate of bacon. 'Think before you eat'. I have been; every time I get peckish I now think; 'I really want a bacon roll'. The swine.

'But when was the last time you saw a lamb learn to open a bottle? This trick has been learnt by octopi and even a type of shrimp.'

yeah and do you know just how many are currently in AA rehab? sigh, it starts with just one drink.
:p

They put crabs in cramped boxes too, but you don't see them complaining about that!

(apologies to Chris Morris)

It's sad cuz PETA have just gone totally over the top, and lost all credibility.
They should stick to sorting out slaughter house and live animal export problems. You're not going to stop meat consumption outright, but you can do a few things to make it more humane.
It's all the little things that add up to a revolution.

Before you start thinking I'm a wishy-washy veggie, I'm not. I love meat. I think it's natural to kill beasts for food. But the way we do it is archaic. In older days we had little choice but to be barbaric with our treatment of animals, but now we have all kinds of technology that could make this easier.

In this country of course, it all comes down to the sodding government - no farmer can afford the better conditions and technology because their cows are only worth 15p and they're under so many restrictions they can't move.

We need to stop buying cheap exports and concentrate on our own agriculture.

Yes, I get a lot of my information from listening to The Archers. :D But I don't think that makes it any less valid.
Please correct me if any of what I've said is incorrect, but I think I've got the general idea... I hope.

pinkle
(it's exhausting having an opinion)

In Texas there's a mass outcry about potentially legalising the use of horse meat, and I quote:

"Humans are the ones who domesticated the wild horses. Ever since then, horses have stood beside us in time of war, carried us across the country, plowed our fields, gave us a job, helped give chronically ill children hope, and remain loyal at all times to their human companions. Is slaughter the only thanks they get?"

Funny how we get all soppy and sentimental over one species and not others. No-one gives a shit about the humble cow.

As for farming, did anyone see Jonathan Meade's doc series a few weeks ago? British farming is so heavily industrialised, that's why our food tastes like crap. In other countries we have small-holdings which produce far better stuff than the mass-produced crap foisted upon those who "buy British". BSE was a prime example of the folly of that policy.

It's a bit of vicious circle with the farming - we want people to buy British so we can improve our standards, but nobody wants to buy British until we've improved our standards!
A big injection of money is about the only thing that's going to break this, and I can't see that happening. The farms are industrialised because they have to be to survive.
In other countries the smallholdings get decent prices for their stock, and are generally supported better by their governments.

Regarding the double standard in the anthropomorphising of animals - the problem is our lack of respect for animals AS animals. Animals don't get all squiffy about the food chain like we do - some eat each other, some don't.
Why can't humans just accept that relationship too - some animals we eat, some we don't. But we must treat them all with respect.
I recall seeing a documentary about how domestic dogs in American cities are having psychological problems because they are treated like people, and don't know their place in the world anymore. They are pack animals and need to know where they stand.
It's this disrespect that is more damaging than killing animals for meat. The latter is what nature intended, the former isn't.

pinkle

Here, here, Pinkle. Well put. We should respect animals, no matter what we actually do with them. The BSE problem is a case in point. Cattle (and sheep, etc) are herbivorous. Feeding them processed meal made from other cows and sheep was bad enough. Relaxing the standards for preparing the meal (by reducing the temperature and time for cooking) is ridiculous. We want to make animals eat their own kind, and what's more we won't even make sure we've killed all the parasites and so forth in it first.

Anyway, I digress. (Like that's new.) On the horses thing. Sure, we domesticated the horse. And sure, a lot of progress was made on the horse's back. But I think we domesticated the cow first. And a lot more progress was made on its back. (Cattle are still used as beasts of burden in more places than horses, mainly because they're cheaper.) And yet, there is only one culture that offers the cow the same sort of protection that rich white folk offer their horses. (Let's face it, rich white folks in Texas are the only people who are really concerned about this, aren't they? After all, horse is commonly used as pet food. And many cultures use them for human food as well. Why should the emotions of a handful of wannabe-cowboys influence public policy? Oh, that's right - I forgot.)

More PETA peeps in the news!

Young Activist Changes Name to GoVeg.com
Thu Jul 31, 2:42 AM ET

By MARTHA IRVINE, AP National Writer

She knew her new name might finally stick when she got a phone message recently: "Hi, GoVeg.com. This is your mother. Please call me."

_It might sound more than a little odd — but it's true. A young animal rights activist from Indiana once known as Karin Robertson has legally changed her name to that of a Web site run by her employer, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

It's not a first name or a last name — just one name. And don't call her "Veg" or "Dot," as some have tried to do.

"I like the whole name together," says the 23-year-old recent college graduate, who is now a youth educator for PETA and living in Norfolk, Va., where the organization is based.

The point, she says, isn't necessarily to promote PETA, where her bosses were as surprised as anyone when she came to them with the idea this past spring.

She says she made the switch to get people talking about vegetarianism and animal rights wherever she pulls out her new driver's license — at the airport, the bank or anyplace else.

"People are really perplexed," she says. "They say, 'You've got to be joking.'"

They usually laugh — and so does she.

"Every time I go to the bank, the tellers will report back about vegetarian food they've tried," she says, gleefully.

Her decision to take on such an unusual name also offers a chance to talk about the treatment of animals on farms and in processing plants — a source of heated debate.

The conditions under which chickens are raised and slaughtered was, for example, the topic of much discussion at the International Poultry Exposition in Atlanta earlier this year.

Agriculture experts there said animal rights activists are simply choosing sentimentality over science and practicality.

Now those in the agriculture field are rolling their eyes over GoVeg.com's name change.

"It sounds like she needs to get a life," says Kara Flynn, a spokeswoman for the National Pork Producers Council, a lobbying group in Washington. "If she actually went on a farm and saw what was happening there, she might be pleasantly surprised."

The activist formerly known as Karin Robertson seems undaunted by the criticism — and that's not unusual, says her mother, Melanie Robertson, of Culver, Ind.

She says her daughter first became concerned about conditions of animals on farms after doing a science project for school. While still in high school, her daughter then joined an animal rights group on the campus of nearby Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

Admittedly, her mother says, the name change has been difficult to get used to.

_"My first comment was 'But your real name is so pretty. Why would you want to do that?'" says Melanie Robertson, a kindergarten teacher who named her daughter for a college friend.

GoVeg.com's father, Bob, regularly eats vegetarian food, too, since having triple bypass surgery two years ago. But when it comes to his youngest daughter's name change, the fisheries biologist, who counts many hunters among his friends, is taking his share of ribbing.

Still, the family — most of whom GoVeg.com says aren't vegetarians "yet" — is standing behind her.

"To us, she will always be Karin," her mother says. "But I think she has a good reason for doing what she's doing."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

"The activist formerly known as Karin Robertson." Can an unpronouncable symbol be far behind????

Chutzpa sentence of the day

"It sounds like she needs to get a life," says Kara Flynn, a spokeswoman for the National Pork Producers Council

Anyway: that's just fecking stupid. Changing your name to provide an opening conversational gambit is always inadvisable, if you ask me, especially if she then has to produce her driving licence to spark up a natter..

As for the broader issue, I have no problem at all with vegetarianism (me best mate's a lacto-veggie), but as with anti-smokers, proselytising veggies who insist on banging on and on and on about the ethics of it all - sorry, as far as I'm concerned, I have canine teeth, and I like meat and fish - end of discussion. That doesn't preclude me from eating veggie food fairly regularly, but I eat it because I like it, not on moral or ethical grounds.

Animal welfare is important, surely, but I'm in no position to judge what standard of living animals actually have - I'm not a farmer, have lived in urban (or suburban) areas all of my life, and honestly don't feel qualified to comment. OK, so I've seen the horror videos of battery farms etc, but then I've seen horror videos of semi-completed hotels on Mallorca, yet the one I stayed in there was tip-top. In point of fact we do only buy free range eggs, but in a blatant burst of hypocrisy we buy non-free range chickens, on purely economic grounds - it's a truism that if organic and free range stuff were cheaper more people would buy them, cos they do taste better, but it's that economic vicious circle again: can't make it cheaper til more people buy it, which won't happen unless it's cheaper in the first place. How to get round that? I've no idea. I'm not an economist either.

If God didn't want us to eat animals then he wouldn't have made them out of meat!!;) ;) ;)

Fortis said:
Then again, there is a town in New Mexico called "Truth or Consequences" after a game show of the same name. It was renamed that as part of a promotion for the game show and its stayed that way for decades. ;)

I used to think that was such a deep and evocative name for a town until I found out about it's crappy commercial origins. And now there's talk of renaming my home town Nobody Likes A Smartass, Worcs, in honour of Jo Brand's new vehicle on BBC2. I think it'll attract a better class of tourist, I really do.

Does PETA know that Hamburg, NY is probably named after Hamburg, Germany, and not after a yummy meat product? Or did they change their name to promote Burger King or sommat? Maybe PETA should get onto Burger King to change their name, because that really does conjure up images of yummy juicy burgers. Hamburg just makes me think of lots of polite Germans.

Re: Chutzpa sentence of the day

stu neville said:
In point of fact we do only buy free range eggs, but in a blatant burst of hypocrisy we buy non-free range chickens, on purely economic grounds - it's a truism that if organic and free range stuff were cheaper more people would buy them, cos they do taste better,
Can't agree with that Stu. You really should buy free range chucks, the more of us who buy them the cheaper they'll get. You don't really want to be the last link in a chain of animal cruelty do you? If you feel you can't afford them just buy them less often; there's now't wrong with quorn.
That said, if I could break into a field and take a bite out of a cow I would, and I was a veggie for 10 years, in the dim and distant past. We're omnivores and that's how it is; PETA are living in a fool's paradise. If they could concentrate on animal welfare and drop this veganism stuff we'd all be better off.

Going back to the original story, are we sure this is a serious report and not a p*ss take. I get the impression when i read it that someones playing silly buggers. Its the following quote that kind of made me suspicious..

A PETA spokesman says the offer is "serious as a heart attack."

It does kind of echo the much ridiculed " I'm serious as cancer, when i say rhythm is a dancer" from that appauling dance track from the early ninties.

Of course I may be wrong, it is in america after all.:D

Back