• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom Appointments In My Diary

DM_Andy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've never been much of a diary writer, but back in college I kept an academic year diary to keep track of assignment due dates and that sort of thing. Uncovering my year diary for 1991/92 reminded me of a mystery, the phantom appointments.

It must have been the end of September 1991, about three weeks into my studies at Coleg Llandrillo, I turned to the week commencing 14th October to fill in a due date and saw a cryptic message, not in my writing for Saturday 19th October "Meet Karen 1pm??"

I did know a couple of Karens at the time, but clearly it wasn't my writing. Scooting forward, there were more messages.

Saturday 26th October: "Meet Karen 1pm??"
Saturday 2nd November: "I'm getting unpatient Meet Karen 1pm??"
Saturday 9th November: "Karen, if you don't meet me I'll ... yeah Meet Karen 1pm??"
Saturday 16th November: "Karen, will I ever Meet you?? 1pm perhaps??"

11227505926_fd213db641.jpg

The entries for Friday were my teenage scribblings, the Saturday the mysterious appointment.

While I didn't pass my year diary around, I could have left it lying around for one of my friends to write in. One of my friends had already done that right at the beginning of the diary, but this wasn't her writing either. My assumption at the time was that it was a quite pointless joke but didn't mention it on the basis that the prankster wouldn't be able to avoid mentioning it. But no-one did.

Then towards the end of the college year, I was re-reading a book and noticed a short note in the same had in the bottom margin with a rather crude comment about one of the characters on the page. I'm pretty certain that the book was never taken to college so that would narrow it down to the half dozen friends that had also been in my room, or possibly my little sister. But still it didn't fit any of them. Most likely perhaps is that it was me, sleep writing, using a different handwriting but it's never happened before or since.

If you were at Coleg Llandrillo in September 1991 and you messed about with my diary it would be interesting to know, otherwise has anyone else ever had something similar?

Karen, known as the Kraken, always rose late.

But she went down early, which assured her of immortality in the diaries of thousands of grateful studnets. :splat:

DM_Andy, maybe it was already in the diary when you bought it? I mean, somebody in the shop may have scribbled it in there (or maybe it was secondhand)?

That's always possible though it wasn't secondhand, I can't imagine I would have checked the diary when I bought it to make sure that all the weeks are blank. But that wouldn't explain the other book, certainly bought in a different shop, probably bought in a different town and I'm pretty sure that had been read before and the writing wasn't there before. Although I didn't find the other writing for a number of months, they could have been written at the same time if it was me sleep writing or someone doing a prank.

sounds like one of the karens had a crush on you ... wanted you to ask her out ? i knew a few karens but had better luck with annettes ... dont get me started on the nickys.

HenryFort said:
sounds like one of the karens had a crush on you ... wanted you to ask her out ? i knew a few karens but had better luck with annettes ... dont get me started on the nickys.

The Karens I knew were creatures, the Annettes were brainless and just too religious, and the one Nicky I knew was gorgeous in every way possible, but sadly, unrequited love, etc.

:D

Mythopoeika said:
HenryFort said:

The Karens I knew were creatures, the Annettes were brainless and just too religious, and the one Nicky I knew was gorgeous in every way possible, but sadly, unrequited love, etc.

:D
sounds like the same ones i knew !

I'm no graphologist or handwriting expert but I think the handwriting is quite similar. The top looks rushed the bottom as if you've tired to make it look neater.

The r in perhaps and presentation are identical. The p's also are quite similar as you pass through the upright part of the p leaving a little tag. The t's have stumpy uprights.

So if it's not you - it's someone trying to copy your handwriting which gives it that less natural much neater look.

I would say if it's honestly not you it's someone pulling a prank and quite an imaginative whimsical one at that.

Perhaps the much yearned for relationship with the mysterious, 'Karen', was so intense and devastating that you had a breakdown and your mind has just blotted it out, leaving nothing but a few cryptic diary entries?

Overall I think the likelihood is that I wrote those entries myself given the fact the writing was in two books, but it's not something I've done before or since. I wasn't under particular stress at the time, exempting the whole being a teenager thing. The handwriting looks neater than I think I could achieve at that time and I don't think I'm imaginative enough for the prank.

I did go out with a Karen the following summer though I didn't think I knew her at the time so maybe it was a premonition.

I suppose you're wondering why I brought you all here tonight. The answer is, I can reveal the culprit was... Karen herself! You had a secret admirer/stalker who wanted to ingratiate her way into your life, and the diary was one of her ploys. Does that sound plausible?

Wasn't there a thread where someone was convinced they were meeting a friend for lunch, and then realised that the friend in question didn't exist?

yes and their entire recent history receded into fictitious mcscenarios ...

The handwriting looks almost identical to me. Perhaps you were daydreaming and doodled it?

Naughty_Felid said:
I'm no graphologist or handwriting expert but I think the handwriting is quite similar. The top looks rushed the bottom as if you've tired to make it look neater.

The r in perhaps and presentation are identical. The p's also are quite similar as you pass through the upright part of the p leaving a little tag. The t's have stumpy uprights.

So if it's not you - it's someone trying to copy your handwriting which gives it that less natural much neater look.

I would say if it's honestly not you it's someone pulling a prank and quite an imaginative whimsical one at that.

I'm no expert either, but I disagree. The m's are quite different (Saturday's entry begins with a down stroke; Friday's does not; Friday's also contains an n which is written without a downstroke), and the t's are different - on the Friday entry, the horizontal stroke is only to the right of the vertical stroke. Maybe that could be explained by writing hastily on the Friday entry but not the Saturday. Do many people alter their letters that radically when they're in a hurry?

decipheringscars said:
Naughty_Felid said:

I'm no expert either, but I disagree. The m's are quite different (Saturday's entry begins with a down stroke; Friday's does not; Friday's also contains an n which is written without a downstroke), and the t's are different - on the Friday entry, the horizontal stroke is only to the right of the vertical stroke. Maybe that could be explained by writing hastily on the Friday entry but not the Saturday. Do many people alter their letters that radically when they're in a hurry?

Funny how two people can see things differently that's why I wondered if it was a prank carried out by someone else. Then again I can see enough similarities to see the possibility of it being written by the same person.

From what I've read and I'm not sure how factual it is but someone wrote that most people's handwriting is effected by emotion. So the more anxious, upset, ecstatic the more your writing will change and look different. Apparently writing does not stay static and will change over the years as well.

your alter ego/paramours handwriting is a bit zodiac killer I have to say

as well as being a little zodiac-esque one thing that occurred to me is that the words Meet Karen might have been a personal code for you to represent something other than an actual Karen.

certainly in diaries I kept in my early stroke mid teens I used watchwords for certain things - because I had 3 sisters enough said !!! the Meet Karen refrain in those 4 entries of yours reminded me a little of that

Back