• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phone Calls From The Dead

minordrag

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Have any of you received a phone call from the dead?

This phenomenon seems to be the analog of the "messenger" apparition, in that it interacts with the living as opposed to simply replaying an action regardless of circumstance. Often, the recipient is not aware that the caller is even dead!

This article gives a passable overview.

And of course the ITC organization, who claim that spooks use fax machines, computers, spiricoms, and almost any old means of communication.

As opposed to plain ol' EVP, this phenom seems to have more credence, as the messages are relevant and the messengers largely identifiable (although deceased).

Can anyone give personal experience/illumination?

There's a half page article on p.18 of FT 165 asking if life is a computer simulation. This is an idea that finds echos in the scientific literature too, in the sense that maybe the whole universe is basically random, but that mathematical information can automatically self-organise to produce the world and ourselves, so the simulation need not be deliberately created by some 'outside' form of intelligence (although it may have been!) These ideas have been discussed before on this board - somewhere!

Anyhow, the point I'm getting to is that all paranormal phenomena could be bugs or glitches in the 'program', where parts of a different program sometimes intrude into 'our' world, or else parts of our program are run at the wrong time.

A stonking great theory of everything, I know. I can't think of a way of proving or disproving it, but maybe paranormal and scientific research will one day converge on an answer.

cold caller

having said that I got my first robot cold caller last night
if that's not an EVP
I don't know what is
you do get weird things on the phone
and on tapes
and this will only get worse as the airwaves fill up
(luckily most of it will be digitised for security so won't manifest itself as voices)

oops

well I tried to get back on topic with my second post...
a lot of EVP are going to be radio interference, - Ive heard several especially when I lived near a hospital...
crossed lines happen on ordinary telephones, but as I said these should decrease as digital mobiles increase
I bet these voices don't come up on digital mobile phones so often, because the spirits can't crack the coding
steve b

FT should definitely run an article about this, it would be fascinating.

Sorry, no personal experience of this Minor Drag, a fact for which I am very grateful as it would be terrifying.

It's funny, Auntie--apparently the experience is often comforting. Especially if you don't know Granny's snuffed it!

Obviously, this experience must be exceedingly rare, but I was hoping against hope that someone here had had it, or knew someone who has.

Regardless, I'm interested in conjecture, theories, &c.

cue the Twilight Zone theme...

I was searching for this thread just yesterday...

Last Sunday (Nov. 3rd, 2002) my wife and I were
spending a relaxing day at home, but
about 4:30pm, we popped out to the local mall.

On returning home at about 5pm, we noticed a
message on our answering machine.
It consisted of a long pause and a
single, very faint "hello". That was it --
no message -- nothing.
I thought I recognized the voice, but saved it for
my wife to listen to. It was her mother.
Who died in early November (I don't remember the day)
2001. One year ago.

I flew into action. I checked the caller ID
units on both floors of the house --
the only phone call they recorded was one I had
received from my sister earlier in the day.
I had been home and talked with her for 30 minutes.
I had picked it up the phone immediately after the ID
told me who it was - the answering machine did NOT fire.
As far as I know, it is impossible for the
answering machine to start without the
caller ID recording who it was, first.
We had a complete log of all incoming
calls going back a week or so.

We both had our cell phones on us, but my
wife had been estranged from her mother
in recent years, so her mother never knew our cell numbers.

My wife was suprisingly calm, and commented that
she was glad we weren't there to take the call.

We've been married for 13 years, and I
had always jokingly commented that when
her mother called, her voice sounded like
she was trying to "contact the hereafter".
(She was a very manipulative sort, who thought
that people would take pity on her if
she sounded sick enough.)

Well, that joke is now on me!
We are still waiting to see if "the other shoe will drop"
or if that is the last we'll be hearing from my mother-in-law.

It doesn't get any more first person than this, folks!

TVgeek

Amazing. F*cking amazing, TVGeek. Wow. I got shivers reading that.

Please keep us posted. Hopefully, if it happens again, you'll get more than just one word. That would really remove all doubt as to the caller's identity.

A few days ago, I got a couple "hang-ups" and when I star-69d 'em it said the number was "000-000-0000!" I thought maybe I was getting hooked up to the spookville mainline, but it turned out to be a pre-recorded shill. Boo.

Good story, TVGeek, I've got the shivers.

There is a book called 'Phone calls from the dead' IIRC. I was watching some day time TV a few years back and they had a paranormal phone in and a woman rang in to say she had spoken to her dead mother on the phone, thinking it was a sick wind-up. The 'expert' advised her to read the book to compare her experiences with others.

I've never seen any copies of it anywhere though.

Haven't we had phone calls from the dead before? I was fascinated. Still am.

This is an interesting phenomina and one I have never came across before. Any contact with the dead I know of in my family (not a rare thing by any means) has been of the dreaming variaty.

Just to put forward an alternitive (but no less nutty) explanation: perhaps with the calls from dead relitivs the individuals themselfs desire the experence so much that they somehow creat it? Perhaps we are able to creat phenomina ourselfs by the desire to experence them.

Any thoughts?

jamesveldon said:
* Any contact with the dead I know of in my family (not a rare thing by any means) has been of the dreaming variaty.

**Just to put forward an alternitive (but no less nutty) explanation: perhaps with the calls from dead relitivs the individuals themselfs desire the experence so much that they somehow creat it? Perhaps we are able to creat phenomina ourselfs by the desire to experence them.

Any thoughts?

*Ohhh? Do tell! :)

**I personnaly wouldn't agree with that one. My nan died in 1978 when I was just four and I've all but gone to a clairevoyant in the hope of hearing something from her. I tried all those gimmick in books like 'booking an appointment with the deceased', blah blah blah. I even gave up in beliving in an afterlife/religion for sometime because I'd heard nothing. (I guess I thought if she loved me that much she would have tried as hard as she could, after all, you hear about other people being contacted like that all the time. Then came to the conclusion that there must be nothing. I do believe in an afterlife now, though still no contact with her specifically.) So I guess if your theary where true then with all my hope, I would have had something? :confused: :(
Then again, just because it isn't true for me, it must be in some cases. A manefestation of desire maybe?

If there is an afterlife, it could be that such communications as we do get could be abberations of the natural order (whatever that may be). Conditions on the other side may well be so different that there is no longer any desire to contact those left behind.

An example sometimes given is the caddis fly, which is a mothlike insect - but its larval stage lives underwater. You can see the problem caddis flies would have communicating with larvae underwater! They have changed too much, and now inhabit a totally different world.

So phantom phone calls and other ghostly stuff may be some kind of echo of the departed personality, rather than their true essence.

Wintermoon said:
*Ohhh? Do tell! :)

**I personnaly wouldn't agree with that one. My nan died in 1978 when I was just four and I've all but gone to a clairevoyant in the hope of hearing something from her. I tried all those gimmick in books like 'booking an appointment with the deceased', blah blah blah. I even gave up in beliving in an afterlife/religion for sometime because I'd heard nothing. (I guess I thought if she loved me that much she would have tried as hard as she could, after all, you hear about other people being contacted like that all the time. Then came to the conclusion that there must be nothing. I do believe in an afterlife now, though still no contact with her specifically.) So I guess if your theary where true then with all my hope, I would have had something? :confused: :(
Then again, just because it isn't true for me, it must be in some cases. A manefestation of desire maybe?

Well I supose there may be a set of variables that have to be in place before 'contact' can be made (I don't beleve in the afterlife myself either but I am troubled by some ocurances within the family.) The desire may be the catalist that alows other factors (atmospheric ones for all we know) to produce the phenomina of 'contact' so even though you desired a message from your Grandmother if the other factors wherenot in place it wouldn't happen.

You never know, it may still.

The contact with the dead stories? Well...my mother was always troubled by interferance 'from the either' ie. she went for a holiday in Arbroth (North of Scotland) and got acomadation near the ruined Abby. Her and my Father had to return home after three days because of the horific nightmares she was having about people burning in the Abby. She didn't know that there had indeed been a fire there in the late medivel (I think) period. The monks would alow people into a part of the chapple seperate from their won to hear mass and so the place was prety crouded the day it went aflaim. There was no escape for those inside after the initial rush on the doors blocked the way out with dead bodies.

however her main form of contact was with her Father who would (in her dreams) come into the room and discuss family maters with her at some considerable length. One night he came in and said 'I've something inportant to tell you.' My Mother got scared and screamed at him to leave. As he did so he said she would regret not hearing and that he would never come back. At 5am she was woken by a phone call telling her that her Nephew had been arested for atempted murder (he later had the charges reduced to ABH and then droped at a later date.) True to his word her Father never returned.

There is the school of thought that believes contact is
made when needed, rather than when it is desired.
If it is going to benefit you at the time -- or it is an urgent
issue -- like in James Mother's story, the "call" comes through. On the other hand, if the desire to have contact becomes
a learning experience (and having to be patient MAY be
what is being taught) -- the journey is what
is important -- not the "end experience".

Psychic Sylvia Browne (who I DO have issues with) does
have some valid points: mainly, if a person has had a very
traumatic experience in this lifetime, a period of "sleep"
is enforced when they arrive on "the other side". This can
last up to a year, if the person (or their "soul") is damaged
enough. That fits our phone experience perfectly.

There was no intentional desire from either my wife or myself
to have further contact with her mother. In fact, we've dealt
with her death, and moved on. Even though it IS possible
that the phone call was a "tulpa" conjured up from
a subconscious desire -- it just isn't likely in this case.

And the phone also makes sense, because any contact we had
the latter years of my mother-in-law's life was over the phone.
It would have been extremely disturbing if she had just "appeared"
one night -- even in a dream.

FWIW -- no contact since. Two weeks (or so) and counting.

TVgeek

Does anyone still have that old record given away with The Unexplained all those years ago? That STILL gives me the jitters...:(

Spain - EVP Appears On Family Cell Phone
From Scott Corrales
The Journal of Hispanic Ufology
6-21-5

EVP Prompts Exhumation

Mundo Misterioso
6-17-5

Exhumation requested because deceased mother's voice was heard on a cell phone.

Deceased woman's voice allegedly requests removal of cross she was buried with.

A family has requested district judge number 6 of Grenada to issue a court order authorizing the exhumation of their mother, claiming that a "electronic voice phenomenon" (EVP) recorded on a cell phone indicates that the deceased is requesting the removal of a cross placed over her chest during burial. The judge asked them to consult with a priest.

According to the deceased woman's daughter, the woman has been contacting them from beyond the grave via cell phone. She explained that she has no idea where her mother's messages are coming from, adding that when any member of the family records anything on her cell phone, " what is played back is my mother's voice saying come, come, the cross."

Furthermore, her grandfather and uncle, buried in the same tomb as her mother, are also sending audible messages through family cell phones.

The judge, who met the family members for three minutes and managed to hear the spirit voice recordings, explained that he lacked the competence to rule on such a matter and explained that they should take their claim to either a priest or to the Higher Council on Scientific Research (CSIC).

Filomena Gómez died two years ago at 55 from liver cancer.

Translation (c) 2005. Scott Corrales, Institute of Hispanic Ufology. Special thanks to Rafael Ballester.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very creepy story.

But I have a terribe feeling that if we got to hear these EVPs, they'll sound like shshshszztt sccchtzzt zzztschsslt again.

Yes, think you might be right. Even if the story is true (ok, half true), it's just another argument in favour of cremation.

I mean, what sort of mother waits until she's in the rottenest state of putrefaction before trying to force her children to dig her up?

Wonder what her problem is with the cross, for goodness sakes? Only thing I can think of is that maybe she's finding it a bit of an impediment down there in the infernal fires.

Maybe one of her sons-in-law will slip around to the grave one dark and stormy, to toss a couple of dozen major size crosses on top of her ... along with the family's entire collection of mobile phones. Then a long, phone-free holiday on a boat for the entire family would probably be a good idea.

Alternatively, the family could leave a 'Sorry we can't be here to take your call' message on their phones, for the duration.

"mom remember that time when u whipped us for talking back to you?" **as they place a large cross atop the grave**

A more cynical person than I might hypothosise that the cross is an expensive one and the grabbing familly have thought of an elaborate ruse to get their hands on it to sell it.

Or the cross has been nicked by the undertakers and Mum's upset about it... ;)

Perhaps the cross never existed and it was an insurance scam... :twisted:

A friend of mine claims that on 1 occasion her family received a phonecall from her nan a couple of years after her death. My friend says that she had just got in from work one evening and heard their answerphone message playing and after the beep a voice started speaking, as if halfway through a conversation. She couldnt work out exactly what was being said but she heard her and her Dad's names mentioned. It went on til the message time limit was up. She thought it was weird but didnt want to jump to conclusions about it. At this point she was also receiving bizarre phonecalls at work (someone asking to speak to her specifically and hanging up when she took the call) and she thought it might be something to do with that. But when her parents came home and played back the message they were seriously freaked out as they reckoned the voice sounded exactly like her dad's mum. Im not sure if they kept the tape as Ive lost touch with her since it happened. She never went into any specific detail about what else was in the message either.

My friend was a little more sceptical about the whole thing than her parents (though she did say however that the phonecall was one in a series of unsettling things that occurred at that time), believing that it was probably a little old lady dialling a wrong number who coincidentally used 2 names they recognized. Also they had just moved to a new town, and whatever feelings you may have about the existence of an afterlife, its doubtful they have directory enquiries.

I'll share an experience I had. Someone who I consider a brother came to live with us after his mother died. Anyway, not too long after she died I was in the kitchen and the phone rang. I picked it up and I could hardly hear the person on the other end, it was a very bad connection. I could finally make out the what the voice on the other end was asking (if my "brother" was there) and when I said "No" they said something like "OK" but (and this was over twenty years ago so I could be wrong but I don't recall them hanging up or saying anything else, they just kind of sat there on an open line). The thing is it sounded kind of like his mother. Having said that, he had a grandmother and so maybe it was her. Just gave me a really weird feeling but I freely admit it could have been the over active imagination of a child.
I've heard from someone else a much more convincing tale. His child had a disconnected phone in his room. One night, not long after one of the child's grandparents had died, the parents heard the phone ringing in the child's room. Mind you, this phone was disconnected. The father picked up the phone but could not make out anything on the other end- just some faint noises.
Finally, these aren't phone calls but they're strange experiences. A friend's grandmother died. The night of the funeral they had a number of strange things occur in their house- the most memorable of which was a hair dryer that was not plugged in came on by itself. When they went into the bathroom they were shocked to see it was running and was not plugged into an outlet. This friend is definitely not one who is interested in the paranormal or anything of the sort. I consider him very credible. Also, I had an aunt whose husband died. They had a small clock that stopped running at the moment he died. I've heard about other people having similar experiences with clocks. What's it all about?

Back