• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Physical Mediumship

Robbrent

Abominable Snowman
You don't really here much about it nowadays which is a pity because I believe that there were some good (in good I mean no one could prove it was fake) to my mind it's a whole lot better than the vague clairvoyance we see nowadays, I do believe there are some closed groups that still do it, and if i could find one I would certainty attend, I have mentioned that my late father once attended a group and the medium (a chap he did not like) for want of a better word transfigured into his late father face changed and voice

I would love to hear about anyone's experiences both positive and negative

My late Welsh Gran was a stalwart of the local Spiritualist Church and told me stories about physical mediumship, where the medium's face and voice changed, as your father reported.
She also described seeing spirits appearing, like misty human-shaped figures, moving among the congregation.

I'd certainly pop along to such a meeting!

For the last several years I have heard of a young woman in a neighboring town who speaks with the deceased.
A couple in the area lost their young son and were just heartbroken. I was told that this woman comforted them by speaking with the little boy on the other side, quite often.
It happens to me as well from time to time, so I cannot doubt that it is real.

It depends how physical you want it to get. I believe they still do the thing where they have two slates tied together and ghost writing appears on one of them. A trick of course, but useful.

Reminds me of a couple of posts from the Coincidence thread.

Mine -
People seeming to speak like the dead crop up now and then.

A few years ago, out with my dogs, I heard someone greet them in a certain silly way. Only one person used to say that to them and he'd recently died. It stopped me in my tracks.

One of my university friends had a close pal who was murdered. (It was quite a famous case which happened before I met her, so I can remember racking my brains for the details, ooer.)

Some time later, she was out with some mates who'd also known the dead girl, and went to order drinks. The barmaid turned to her and suggested, in what my friend said was the dead woman's voice, that she have the very cocktail that they'd all usually drunk on their nights out.

My friend was shocked but the barmaid didn't miss a beat and carried on polishing glasses or whatever she was doing.

One from @McAvennie was pretty good too.
On this page, 12th post down -
Coincidences, page 52.

(I hope @McAvennie doesn't ming my bringing this up.)

Last edited:
It depends how physical you want it to get. I believe they still do the thing where they have two slates tied together and ghost writing appears on one of them. A trick of course, but useful.
And it can get very...physical (if you know what I mean). Certainly back in the day it wasn't uncommon for the deceased to request one final night of passion with their loved one using the medium as a physcial conduit. And the medium got paid for it.

And it can get very...physical (if you know what I mean). Certainly back in the day it wasn't uncommon for the deceased to request one final night of passion with their loved one using the medium as a physcial conduit. And the medium got paid for it.
That's a new one on me.

Yep, it was rife at Chesterfield. Lots of older women paying for sessions with younger male mediums who "channelled" their departed husbands. And male mediums taking advantage of lonely women by having their husbands spirits ask for intimacy.

There were phallic shaped instruments (didlos) which were used to open the "psychic channels" in the darkness. And some women even felt the warm flesh of a materialized body and penis. Some direct quotes from the excellent book "The Psychic Mafia" by M.Lamar Keene:

"One whole family of sceond-generation mediums, male and female, were invited to leave Camp Chesterfield because their sexual escapdes in the seance room were too open and notorious."

"Sometimes if the sitter was particularily attractive, the medium would be the one who initiated the seance sex."

A medium is meeting with a new client after the usual medium is inavailable. The client is obviously not happy that the session is over and is complaining that she is "unsatisfied".

"Medium: What is it that you want your husband [in spirit form] to do?
Sitter: Well, I want him to make love to me in his materialized body like he does when the other medium is here".

"The seance was in darkness, of course. While the rest of us, including me, continued with our seance the woman had a thrilling spiritual experience all of her own. Her psychic center opened very satisfactorily. The medium had sexual intercourse with her."

You don't really here much about it nowadays which is a pity because I believe that there were some good (in good I mean no one could prove it was fake) to my mind it's a whole lot better than the vague clairvoyance we see nowadays, I do believe there are some closed groups that still do it, and if i could find one I would certainty attend, I have mentioned that my late father once attended a group and the medium (a chap he did not like) for want of a better word transfigured into his late father face changed and voice

I would love to hear about anyone's experiences both positive and negative
maybe they still do this kind of thing at the spiritualist churches.

Yep, it was rife at Chesterfield. Lots of older women paying for sessions with younger male mediums who "channelled" their departed husbands. And male mediums taking advantage of lonely women by having their husbands spirits ask for intimacy.

There were phallic shaped instruments (didlos) which were used to open the "psychic channels" in the darkness. And some women even felt the warm flesh of a materialized body and penis. Some direct quotes from the excellent book "The Psychic Mafia" by M.Lamar Keene:

"One whole family of sceond-generation mediums, male and female, were invited to leave Camp Chesterfield because their sexual escapdes in the seance room were too open and notorious."

"Sometimes if the sitter was particularily attractive, the medium would be the one who initiated the seance sex."

A medium is meeting with a new client after the usual medium is inavailable. The client is obviously not happy that the session is over and is complaining that she is "unsatisfied".

"Medium: What is it that you want your husband [in spirit form] to do?
Sitter: Well, I want him to make love to me in his materialized body like he does when the other medium is here".

"The seance was in darkness, of course. While the rest of us, including me, continued with our seance the woman had a thrilling spiritual experience all of her own. Her psychic center opened very satisfactorily. The medium had sexual intercourse with her."
I've never head or read about that one, have you got any source information?
maybe they still do this kind of thing at the spiritualist churches.

No they don't, it more the clairvoyant type

I've never head or read about that one, have you got any source information?
Source was quoted in my post. M. Lamar Keene worked as a Spiritualist Medium for 13 years before ending his career after working at Camp Chesterfield.

Source was quoted in my post. M. Lamar Keene worked as a Spiritualist Medium for 13 years before ending his career after working at Camp Chesterfield.
Thanks I have just looked him up

I guess the best answer is If some money is counterfeit does that mean all money is counterfeit ?

I do understand that this area has been awash with fakery over the years, but i was looking to hear what peoples experiences were good or bad

Thanks I have just looked him up

I guess the best answer is If some money is counterfeit does that mean all money is counterfeit ?

I do understand that this area has been awash with fakery over the years, but i was looking to hear what peoples experiences were good or bad
Absolutely. I was just making a little side note regarding the most physical side of physical mediumship that I have read about.

Reminds me of the scene in the fillum Ghost where Sam, possessing the body of Oda Mae, and Molly, very nearly kiss.

This thread brought to mind of an odd occurrence that I had a couple of years after my husband had died.

Early in our relationship, before we were married, he used to call me "Chuckles".

There was a gentleman who we (my husband more than I) often chatted to at our local coffee shop who we had not known the twenty some years before when my husband had used the nickname.

Several (about two years) after my husband's death, this man greeted me with "Hi, Chuckles." I was slightly shocked. I remarked to his wife that I was surprised that he said this to me and then explained the odd connection.

He never called me by any nickname, not even "love" or "dear". He was British, moved to Canada many years prior, and so was fairly proper when addressing people. His wife even stated that he would never greet people this way. It only happened the once and it seemed almost if he didn't notice the out of character greeting as he didn't correct it or anything.

The gentleman was in poor health (heart related) at the time and did die about four years after my husband. I have wondered if he was just close enough to the otherworld (if it exists) to actually get a message to me.

I did it when child, think that the interesting thing is that the medium get hipnoticed and then start to ask questions, first reasonable and logical questions, but in advanced sessions more free and out of normal ones.
images (1).jpeg

How interesting, I've never heard of the notorious Chesterfield goings on. Although I did attend an alleged "physical mediumship" demonstration some years ago. It was held in a dark hall, pitch black, in fact.
The medium was allegedly bound to a chair. Audience was asked to sing to get the energies up for the "materialisation" part of the show. There was a lot of banging and shufffling sounds from behind the curtain. Eventually a "materialised hand" appeared below the curtain and the lights were raised enough to be able to see. Audience members were invited to shake this hand. So I did. It felt like a human hand oddly enough. A cool hand but nonetheless a human hand and it was fully formed with all its fingers and thumbs and nails etc. We were asked to sing again, there was more shuffling and banging, and then the curtains were rolled back, there was the "medium" apparently still bound to the chair. There were "trumpets" moving around very close to the stage again in pitch darkness. It was obvious it was completely faked up. Sad as it brings reputable mediums into disrepute. Physical mediumship is very rare and for me the jury is still out as to its legitimacy over the years. I've seen nothing to convince me of it personally.

I have, somewhere, a series of photographs, taken during seänces by a woman who claimed to be one of the last physical mediums. She was said to take on the likenesses of the deceased folk she channelled. This wishful-thinking, by the evidence of the photos, was encouraged by lighting effects. I can - and sometimes do - use the under-chin torch technique to enhance bedtime story-time.

A sleepless night is guaranteed for all . . . :curt:

Last edited:
I am reading a book on Kindle about this (a modern day account) it's OK up to now

But my one question is, if a spirit of a dear departed came to you, why are the conversations so bloody banal! I would go as far to say that the experiences have actually taught us nothing except some extremely verbose literature said to have been dictated from beyond the veil

I mean if a soul of of someone came to you, wouldn't you ask it searching questions about life after death? About our place in the universe? Perhaps the banality and ambiguity is deliberate and they are not allowed to tell us. or they just don't know they died and ended up somewhere, who knows, and like someone has said just looking like someone is not proof, surnames dates of birth and death burial place (if they know) it's no use a spirit saying they were a doctor give us some definite proof they existed, the proof of existence in my opinion should be the first call, in nearly every book I read they have someone claiming they were this or the other and nobody checks

Perhaps this life is just a page in a book and most of it is forgotten as you move on

I am on the fence about the whole thing but I keep searching

I have, somewhere, a series of photographs, taken during seänces by a woman who claimed to be one of the last physical mediums. She was said to take on the likenesses of the deceased folk she channelled. This wishful-thinking, by the evidence of the photos, was encouraged by lighting effects. I can - and sometimes do - use the under-chin torch technique to enhance bedtime story-time.

A sleepless night is guaranteed for all . . . :curt:
We'll need to see those photos please, no rush, right now will do thank you.

How interesting, I've never heard of the notorious Chesterfield goings on. Although I did attend an alleged "physical mediumship" demonstration some years ago. It was held in a dark hall, pitch black, in fact.
The medium was allegedly bound to a chair. Audience was asked to sing to get the energies up for the "materialisation" part of the show. There was a lot of banging and shufffling sounds from behind the curtain. Eventually a "materialised hand" appeared below the curtain and the lights were raised enough to be able to see. Audience members were invited to shake this hand. So I did. It felt like a human hand oddly enough. A cool hand but nonetheless a human hand and it was fully formed with all its fingers and thumbs and nails etc. We were asked to sing again, there was more shuffling and banging, and then the curtains were rolled back, there was the "medium" apparently still bound to the chair. There were "trumpets" moving around very close to the stage again in pitch darkness. It was obvious it was completely faked up. Sad as it brings reputable mediums into disrepute. Physical mediumship is very rare and for me the jury is still out as to its legitimacy over the years. I've seen nothing to convince me of it personally.
Sounds a bit like one of the late Colin Fry's mummeries. :chuckle:

Fry, aka Lincoln, he of the over-materialised trumpet and other wonders. :wink2:

Have to say though, I did once seem to have a ghostly hand hold mine. It was, as described on'ere, icy cold.
It was the last act of what seemed to be a harmless haunting by a friendly, or maybe curious, ghost, which I jokingly put down to a surfeit of Czech beer.
Well, my travelling companion was terrified by the idea of a ghost.

Sounds a bit like one of the late Colin Fry's mummeries. :chuckle:

Fry, aka Lincoln, he of the over-materialised trumpet and other wonders. :wink2:

Have to say though, I did once seem to have a ghostly hand hold mine. It was, as described on'ere, icy cold.
It was the last act of what seemed to be a harmless haunting by a friendly, or maybe curious, ghost, which I jokingly put down to a surfeit of Czech beer.
Well, my travelling companion was terrified by the idea of a ghost.
On occasion I have very poor circulation in my hands. Even on really REALLY hot days my fingers can feel like ice. Several times in the shop I've been passing change to a customer and they will say 'oh my goodness! Your hands are really cold!'

Because it's such a banal and obvious statement, there's only one way to reply - I smile mysteriously and tell them I've been dead for a week.

(Note, I only say this to people I know, and can therefore be pretty sure they haven't suffered a recent bereavement, because that would be AWFUL).

On occasion I have very poor circulation in my hands. Even on really REALLY hot days my fingers can feel like ice. Several times in the shop I've been passing change to a customer and they will say 'oh my goodness! Your hands are really cold!'

Because it's such a banal and obvious statement, there's only one way to reply - I smile mysteriously and tell them I've been dead for a week.

(Note, I only say this to people I know, and can therefore be pretty sure they haven't suffered a recent bereavement, because that would be AWFUL).
Cold hands, warm heart. That's just a saying my Mum trots out for such occasions.

I might be a bit late to the party here but have we discussed the phenomenon of Harry Price and Rosalie? *shudders*

Back