• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Planning a Ghost Hunt.

dusikyon

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hello to all. I'm new to these forums, and I thought my first new thread should be something relevant, so here goes.
The university I'll be attending this fall is reportedly quite haunted. Of course, every university has its folklore, and it will take some doing to sort out the truly unexplained from the merely entertaining.
Anyway, I was thinking of conducting, with consent from the faculty, a small-scale informal ghost hunt on campus. Does anyone out there have any advice on how to do so? I've never actually attempted anything like this before, so I'm more than likely to end up literally groping in the dark with little to show for it.
Thanks.

Try not to hear about any of the gossip as this might influence your findings. Start a good record of events. Go hunting with 'sensitive' types who have a history of seeing and hearing strange things, and throw in some sturdy sceptics for balance. Don't go at night at first or you will just all spook each other and the hunt will be worthless. When you find somewhere that feels consistently, over time, spooky/cold make sure there are no Ultra Low Frequencies in the vicinity - extractor fans, overhead fans, etc. and you might just have your starting point. When its quiet, or when you trust eachother enough to not spook eachother silly at night, you might get something. Talking to them helps. Some people might use a ouija board but that is a bad idea as far as I'm concerned. It's up to you in the end. Most ghosts won't show up just because you're hunting them. If you summon them they might be justifiably p*ssed off. It could take some time. Good luck. Let us all know what you find as the idea of a 'hunt' is intriguing. I wonder what the ghosts'll make of it:D

A link! A link!

Thank you very much, Chant. In this part of Oregon it should be fairly easy to find open-minded people. Conveniently, one of the supposedly haunted buildings houses the museum and historical society, so I'm sure I could find some information there.
Here's a link to some of the university folklore, as related by a former student, for anyone who's interested:
http://www.ghosts.org/stories/tales/oregon-state.html

May I draw your attention to ...

Dear All,

There's an earlier thread just a few doors down started by Snowman X with Ghosthunting as it's title. I put my oar in and you may, or may not, find it helpfull.
Give that thread a look and if your none the wiser, then we'll continue to discuss the subject in this thread !
Regards,

Innes

Oh Innes! I hoped you were going to mention some hideous apparrition you'd seen!

I'm much to much of a scaredy-cat to do anything like that as my family is sensitive whereas I refuse to be and always worry that they'll try it on with me because I shouldn't be stubborn, or something.

Because of that I'm not going to look at the link, dusikyon, until the morning as I'm alone and spooked enough as something fell over in the front room after everything in the house had been happily 'settled' for at least four hours before! Am not a happy bunny, right now.:( We haven't lived here long so I'm hoping it was nothing.:confused:

Always Look On The Bright Side

Dear Chant,
Think your new house is haunted ?? Fantastic ! I can think of no better way to meet a few dozen Forteans hungry for their own on-site investigation ( if these message boards are anything to go by ! ).
So, don't be sad if you're sharing your larder with the deceased, it's one way of meeting people ( living & dead ).
Regards,

Innes

Back