Podcast Section

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Just wanted to say I'm really liking this new adddition. I've looked back through the recent issues and downloaded a few of the episodes mentioned in them, been enjoying them in my car at work the past couple of days.
I didn't mind the "Coffee With Jeff" song unlike the reviewer, but I did find it off-putting when he said "drownded" and called a life buoy a "life boo-oy" in the Flannan lighthouse keepers episode. Still a good listen though.

Well done to the FT editors for something new in the mag and for making it relevant!

And also for mentioning Crowley in one of the articles.
:fetish:

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
No one? Really?
Well I've enjoyed a few of the Monster Talk podcasts although the guest that swears all the time (Dr Kim Fade or something like that) is pretty hard to take since he just poo-poos anything he doesn't agree with
but doesn't provide any arguments for his position. He swears a lot though, so FUCK YEAH, he's cool, right? No. But the other Monster Talk podcasts I've listened to are good.
They mentioned an HP Lovecraft literary podcast and THAT I am loving! It's just a couple of dudes talking about Lovecraft tales with some cool music and VERY cool narration and it works really well. They have a good laugh together and I found myself laughing out loud along with them at times. "Guys went to the top of the great pyramid to punch each other in the face, huh, WTF?!"

I am a bit of a housewife although I'm a man - you may call me a blouse if you like - and I love listening to these podcasts doing my chores, they're great.
Try them out.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Listened to a great episode of MonsterTalk with FT's own Mike Dash today, talking about Spring-Heeled Jack. Come on folks, no-one into this? I'm thinking of giving up my Audible subscription since I just listen to these podcasts all the time now!

catseye

For the greater good
I'm making a mental note. I shall listen to some of these in due course. However, I have no way of knowing when 'due course' will be...

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Are you kidding? Maybe buy the magazine? There's a new section for podcasts. The columns have plenty of links.
This is an internet discussion. I am not scraping through back issues to try to locate the specific podcasts you have hinted at so I can join the discussion. Doesn't look like anyone else does either.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
This is an internet discussion. I am not scraping through back issues to try to locate the specific podcasts you have hinted at so I can join the discussion. Doesn't look like anyone else does either.
When I said "No one into this?" I was talking about the podcast section of the magazine, not one specific episode. Although it appears you're right and no-one is much interested. :dunno:

Since you asked for links though, how about the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast? It's not been mentioned in the magazine I don't think but I heard about it on MonsterTalk:
http://hppodcraft.com/2009/10/29/episode-17-the-picture-in-the-house/

And that Monster Talk one with Mike Dash on Spring-Heeled Jack:
https://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/13/02/06/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The title 'Podcast Section' suggested to me that someone had started a thread with lists of links to podcasts. There is already a thread like that somewhere.

My take on it in is that while having the 'Podcast Section' in the magazine is a great idea, I'm just dyslexic enough to find typing out links tricky. Clicking on them in a thread is easier for me. The way I manage is to google the podcast title rather than try to type it.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
When I said "No one into this?" I was talking about the podcast section of the magazine, not one specific episode. Although it appears you're right and no-one is much interested. :dunno:
Oh I see! I was at the wrong end of the stick there, my apologies. :shy: I had thought you wanted to discuss the episodes you mentioned. I do love a podcast though and I AM interested so thanks for the links. The spring-heeled Jack one does sound good.

My take on it in is that while having the 'Podcast Section' in the magazine is a great idea, I'm just dyslexic enough to find typing out links tricky. Clicking on them in a thread is easier for me. The way I manage is to google the podcast title rather than try to type it.
I am not dyslexic at all and still have trouble with it so I am with you!

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
The title 'Podcast Section' suggested to me that someone had started a thread with lists of links to podcasts. There is already a thread like that somewhere.

I never type in any links to be honest, just google the name of whatever it is I'm looking for. If I stumble across any really good ones from now on I'll paste them here!

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Oh I see! I was at the wrong end of the stick there, my apologies. :shy: I had thought you wanted to discuss the episodes you mentioned. I do love a podcast though and I AM interested so thanks for the links. The spring-heeled Jack one does sound good.
Well, I'll discuss the links too, if anyone listens to them :fhtagn:
Monster Talk is good but a bit TOO skeptical for my liking. The Coffee With Jeff one is okay but basically just a run-down of various stories, by one guy, so not hugely entertaining.
HPL Literary Podcast is, IMO, awesome. The two guys have fun and are quite amusing at times, and, well, if you love HPL's writing as much as I do, it's just really cool to hear the stories dissected.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
I've really been getting into podcasts as a result of this column. The HP Lovecraft literary Podcast (hppodcraft.com) is by far my favourite.
The thing is, there's a podcast out there for just about anything you might be into! So I tried one about Aleister Crowley, and another about the Dune books (didn't like either personally but you can't win them all).
Thinking about giving up my Audible subscription since these podcasts are free (although I DID make a $15 donation to the HP Lovecraft Literary podcast because it kicks ass).

Started to think it might be good to host a podcast of my own about historical fiction since I know so many great authors but I'm not sure I have the time.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Music during exercise doesn't hack it for me so I used to listen to podcasts. The Pseudopod/Podcastle (horror fiction/science fiction stories) ones were good. Some of the Pseudopod ones were a bit near the knuckle. Perfect for lifting!

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Music during exercise doesn't hack it for me so I used to listen to podcasts. The Pseudopod/Podcastle (horror fiction/science fiction stories) ones were good. Some of the Pseudopod ones were a bit near the knuckle. Perfect for lifting!
Have you tried listening to something like Pantera when you exercise? :thrash:

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I listened to the Spring-heeled Jack one. It was rather long but very interesting. I seem to be having difficulty getting round to listening to any of the others, mind you I haven't finished last months magazine yet..

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
I listened to the Spring-heeled Jack one. It was rather long but very interesting. I seem to be having difficulty getting round to listening to any of the others, mind you I haven't finished last months magazine yet..
I do a lot of driving at work so use that time to listen to the podcasts or audiobooks.
But I have a big pile of FTs still to read. Can't do that when driving unfortunately.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I listen to many podcasts of a Fortean nature, usually at night to help me drop off, top one at present is Lore but here are a few others
Bedtime stories
Case file
Pleasing terrors
Strange podcast
The strange and unusual
The unexplained with Howard Hughes
Unexplained

I’ve tried many others of a paranormal nature but they seem to be run by groups of delinquents who pepper the whole show with swearing and laughing and don’t really treat the subjects with any seriousness. Some of these get good ratings so they do appeal to some, but are not my cup of tea.

There are a few good crime ones out there as well if that floats your boat.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I listen to many podcasts of a Fortean nature, usually at night to help me drop off, top one at present is Lore but here are a few others
Bedtime stories
Case file
Pleasing terrors
Strange podcast
The strange and unusual
Unexplained
One thing you will find across a lot of those listed above, they often cover the same subjects in more or less detail.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Bedtime stories
Case file
Pleasing terrors
Strange podcast
The strange and unusual
Unexplained

I’ve tried many others of a paranormal nature but they seem to be run by groups of delinquents who pepper the whole show with swearing and laughing and don’t really treat the subjects with any seriousness. Some of these get good ratings so they do appeal to some, but are not my cup of tea.

Yes I totally agree and love them

http://www.blurryphotos.org/

http://www.theparapod.com/

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Bedtime stories
Case file
Pleasing terrors
Strange podcast
The strange and unusual
Unexplained

I'll have a look at those. I know what you mean about the laughing and silliness - I listen to Monster Talk fairly regularly and the host of that thinks he's hilarious with silly puns. He practically kills himself laughing at his own jokes at least a handful of times each podcast and it's pretty irritating.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
I've listened to a couple of episodes from the podcast covered in this latest issue (363 I think) - STRANGE.
First was the Devil's Footprints which I have to say was dry and pretty boring.
Second was on weird noises like the "Bloop" and the Hum. This was a good episode which I enjoyed BUT it irritated me to hear them playing the recent "sky sounds", most of which I'm sure are faked, as examples of the Hum! The presenter is talking about how only certain people can hear them, yet playing audio of something clearly everyone can hear. Poor show.
Still, I'll continue listening!

alfiegas

Fresh Blood
I have been hoping they will cover the Escape Artists Podcasts in the magazine soon, as they are excellent:

Pseudopod for Horror http://pseudopod.org/
Escape Pod for Science Fiction http://escapepod.org/
Podcastle for Fantasy http://podcastle.org/

with plenty of blurred lines between the three! Probably just posted this in the wrong place, but never mind.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I want to add my voice to say how fantastic the Podcast section is. I'm just downloading some from the Paranormal Podcast to listen to over time.

It's really like having the radio but instead of pot luck I can choose specifically what I listen to. I love it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Well, I'll discuss the links too, if anyone listens to them :fhtagn:
Monster Talk is good but a bit TOO skeptical for my liking. The Coffee With Jeff one is okay but basically just a run-down of various stories, by one guy, so not hugely entertaining.
HPL Literary Podcast is, IMO, awesome. The two guys have fun and are quite amusing at times, and, well, if you love HPL's writing as much as I do, it's just really cool to hear the stories dissected.
Have you tried A Podcast to the Curious? It began as a discussion of each of James' stories and has now moved on to other writers in the genre. Erudite and often humorous, but not never raucous or irrelevant.
(I say that because there's an episode-by-episode podcast about my favourite TV series that I used to listen to but have now given up on after it became rather ego-driven and silly.)

A Podcast to the Curious