Podcast Section

Tempest63

Fresh Blood
I do like Spooktator for the Skeptical side and Weird Tales Radio Show is one that I can drop off to. Shame that Janey is another screacher.

Tempest63

Fresh Blood
Unexplained: Initially I thought this was a British guy copying Lore, but that's unfair; it's delivered in a similar style, but it's much more focussed on the spooky stuff. I've probably listened to it the least of the three, but intend to remedy that.
I do like Unexplained, it is one i look forward to very much. Don’t confuse it with The Unexplained with Howard Hughes which can be great on its day but he seems more interested in Conspiracy episodes latterly and some of his guests are “Upton Park” or Two Stops Short of Barking!

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
I think FT should include a “One to Avoid” to save me downloading some of the paranormal podcasts that are hosted by a group of screeching blokes who giggle and squeal like a dormitory full of prepubescent school girls. You know the ones, they grunt instead of talking and the only words they seem able to form are usually classed as “Industrial Language”.
That would be "Hysteria 51" - awful.

If you however enjoy the sound of two very Aussie Sheilas talking about local mysteries - while swearing like troopers - then have a listen to the "All Aussie Mystery Hour". More entertainment than anything else, but it beats the "Morning Drive" show with Shazza, Kazza and Bazza.

Tempest63

Fresh Blood
Thank you for the recommendation! I've only just noticed this was here or I would have thanked you sooner :)
Another big like is KOFY, would like to see it appear a bit more often and with a bit more regularity, but each episode is gratefully received.

Tempest63

Fresh Blood

If you however enjoy the sound of two very Aussie Sheilas talking about local mysteries - while swearing like troopers - then have a listen to the "All Aussie Mystery Hour". More entertainment than anything else, but it beats the "Morning Drive" show with Shazza, Kazza and Bazza.
My morning commute takes me through Romford, I’m sure the local girls could be a match for any Sheila on the Trooper scale; and on the commute back home after they have imbibed a few Vera Lynne’s...shocking!

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
My morning commute takes me through Romford, I’m sure the local girls could be a match for any Sheila on the Trooper scale; and on the commute back home after they have imbibed a few Vera Lynne’s...shocking!
Oh the girls from the Podcast aren't shocking - just disarmingly blunt.

Tempest63

Fresh Blood
I do like the Paranormal Podcast with Jim Harold but the constant advertising breaks are way OTT. It makes you think his desire to make money far far overrules his wish to entertain. I don’t think I will ever subscribe to Gaia as the word itself makes me want to scream due to Jims massive fawning overexposure

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre

I'll have to give this one a try. There's a lot of very shitty podcasts out there so any recommendation here is bound to be half decent. There are plenty out there full of dull people who "um" and "ah" their way through an hour as apposed to those who screech like banshees, hooting and a hollering. Just because one owns a microphone doesn't mean one should use it.

Tempest63

Fresh Blood
There are plenty out there full of dull people who "um" and "ah" their way through an hour as apposed to those who screech like banshees, hooting and a hollering. Just because one owns a microphone doesn't mean one should use it.
Well put

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
I do like the Paranormal Podcast with Jim Harold but the constant advertising breaks are way OTT. It makes you think his desire to make money far far overrules his wish to entertain. I don’t think I will ever subscribe to Gaia as the word itself makes me want to scream due to Jims massive fawning overexposure
I really like that too, just press the skip button 5 or 6 times until the 3 minute ad is past.

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
New-ish Australian Podcast that has been going since November. It's called "Believe" and features regular Strayans talking about their encounters with the batshit insane. Battling UFOs, Yowies, Glowing Orbs, Ghosts, Witches, Alien Abductions and any combination thereof told by the people who experienced them - rather than the usual suspects.

https://ccradio.com.au/bufo4/

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
I've been listening to podcasts from the Parcast Network of late. Many Fortean topics, with their podcasts grouped into serial killers, extraterrestrials, assassinations, mythology, cults etc. Professionally recorded and very well made. Worth listening to.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I've been listening to podcasts from the Parcast Network of late. Many Fortean topics, with their podcasts grouped into serial killers, extraterrestrials, assassinations, mythology, cults etc. Professionally recorded and very well made. Worth listening to.
Yeah, after being initially put off but the strangely robotic house style, I find the parcast podcasts are very good content-wise.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Yeah, after being initially put off but the strangely robotic house style, I find the parcast podcasts are very good content-wise.
It takes one or two episodes to get used to their style, it is as you say a little robotic and lacking emotion, however, for content and facts and certainly for listenability (is that even a word?) I find them superior. I'm a late arrival to the world of podcasts, but I've found a lot of others to be difficult to listen to insomuch as the 'personalities' presenting the podcasts often take predecence over the content being presented.

_Danforth_

Junior Acolyte
I tried a couple of early Blurry Photos episodes and I don't think it's for me - they've gone one low-voiced guy and one higher-voiced one and apparently no idea how to balance the sound from their respective microphones, because if I can hear low-voiced guy then every laugh (and there are many) from his co-presenter is wincingly loud! Also it's a very jokey presenting style, I do prefer the semi-scripted approach (KOFY) or fully-scripted (Lore, Unexplained). This one is more like a "zany" radio DJ... I only lasted ten minutes of the two episodes I tried! YMMV of course, and at least they weren't mocking the material they were using, it was more about enjoying themselves. I just wanted them to shush :)

ChasFink

Junior Acolyte
Those Conspiracy Guys were covered in a recent FT so I downloaded three of their podcasts as they were apparently really good.
Not for me. I wanted to hear a chat about the flat earth theory but what you get is three guys cracking mostly poor jokes for literally 6 hours. There was very little discussion about flat earth, it was mostly daft nonsense like 3 guys in the pub would come out with. Don't get me wrong, lots of it was rather funny, but I wanted to hear a podcast about flat earth theories, not a comedy show.
Gave up on it after about an hour and a half, tried the one about Aleister Crowley and gave up on that too. Took them about half an hour even to start talking about him!
Sorry for the late response here, but I felt I had to chime in with an opposing view. I actually like this one. If you're looking for a show that sums up its subject in 30 to 60 minutes this is not the podcast for you. Similarly, if you don't want to hear people joking around about the subject, go elsewhere.

This is a show with (mostly) comedians discussing fortean topics for hours on end. Its primary focus is fun. They do eventually get around to discussing the topic semi-seriously, and they always sum up with each participant's opinion of the matter. You can learn a bit more about the topic, especially if you don't know much about it to begin with.

It is a bit like chatting with a bunch of guys in a pub, but since I don't know of any pubs where intelligent people with interests in conspiracy theories and other fortean topics hang out, this is the next best thing.