• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

I'll have you know Lil Wayne is at least as relevant as a 21st Century CHiPs movie! Good day to you, sir!

The 21 Jump Street movies were surprisingly good.
But as with these other things, the show wasn't a comedy. It was supposed to be a gritty, realistic drama...

The spinoff Booker, though, that was a comedy, and quite clever at times. (OK, a comedy drama, but the episode "Somebody Stole Lucille" in which the central character has to track down B. B. King's stolen guitar while being shadowed by a visitor from the parent company in Tokyo, is brilliant.)

We do seem to live in an age calcified by nostalgia. Even the whole hipster thing seems to be about 'repurposing' the past rather than creating anything new.

Hopefully it's just a temporary paralysis and we haven't really reached the "end of history".

It seems that Hollywood has a mantra of "What worked once must always work!" - AKA flogging a dead horse (which would be less disturbing than the trip they insist on making these days...)

There are some questions where the answer is that it's due to a complex mix of human psychology, lack of resources and global political powerplays. This isn't one of them.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/29/top-films-of-last-10-years/

Not sure it's reasonable to call Guardians of the Galaxy part of an existing franchise, granted it's Marvel universe but still almost entirely has new characters and storyline.

Avatar on the other hand might be considered to be a rehash of Dances with Wolves.

Not sure it's reasonable to call Guardians of the Galaxy part of an existing franchise, granted it's Marvel universe but still almost entirely has new characters and storyline.
Except those characters, and the storyline, are pre-existing properties in the Marvel Universe. The whole plot revolves around one of the "Infinity Stones" which are being positioned for the cinematic equivalent of the original "Infinity War" comic book event.

Even if you don't view it as part of an existing cinema franchise (and I think it is, the same way the other Marvel films are), it's a version of an existing comic book franchise as well.

Well ok it is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise and gearing up for a larger project - maybe it's just unfortunate they've picked one of the more creative efforts there rather than Wolverine XIV or whatever we're at.

I thought Guardians was seminal in terms of CGI having reached the point where they could actually make a movie tht looked ust like a 70s Marvel comic.

I tend to think of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as being a franchise with sub-franchises. There's no doubt Captain America: Civil War was a Captain America movie, with its focus on the star-spangled do-gooder and the threat being from political intrigue and personal conflict rather than from world-ending events, yet the movie makes no sense just seen as part of the Captain America sub-franchise. It requires the whole franchise to bring the viewer up to date on the characters, their relationships and the state of the universe in which its story is told. So, Guardians of the Galaxy is a sub-franchise. I'm really looking forward to Baby Groot in Vol. 2!

with its focus on the star-spangled do-gooder and the threat being from political intrigue and personal conflict rather than from world-ending events

Having sat through it, I'd say the main threat was utter boredom... might actually have walked out if I hadn't been expecting a big finish, until what looks like the climactic plotline fizzles out in the last 10 minutes.

It may have appealed to others more than it did to me.

Erik Estrada has called out the CHiPs trailer as "pure trash" on Twitter! You tell 'em, genuine Ponch!

It wasn't the best cop show in the world but it did have some fantastic stunts every week from a great team. I suppose in the remake they will be all CGI. Oh, and the theme tune was funky-disco-tastic.

Finally saw the Ghostbusters reboot. It was alright, actually, a few laughs, some nice effects for the big finale, but were they anticipating the backlash when the baddie was basically a men's rights angry nerd? Put an interesting spin on it. What I liked most was the suggestion this was a parallel dimension to the original movie and there were powers and entities moving through from one side to another. The post-credits scene, most blatantly, though we'll never see what happens next now.

When your remake isn't a remake...
Mia Goth Says New ‘Suspiria’ Isn’t a Remake, Will be Visually Stunning

Mia Goth: “Well what I can say about that is I think people are going to be really pleasantly surprised to realize that it’s really not a remake at all. I think people are going to be really shocked. It’s a nod of the hat to Dario Argento and his version of ‘Suspiria’, but we really do take it to a completely different place”.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...-suspiria-isnt-remake-will-visually-stunning/

When your remake doesn't happen at all...
‘Friday the 13th’ Cursed; Production Has Been Shut Down

Just about an hour ago we told you that Paramount had pulled this year’s planned Friday the 13th reboot from their release schedule, meaning Jason Voorhees will no longer be returning to the big screen on October 13th. At the time we wrote that, we weren’t sure if filming was still scheduled to begin in mid-March, as planned, but now we’ve learned a bit more about this mess.

From what we’re hearing, production on the new Friday the 13th has been indefinitely shut down, suggesting that there is indeed a death curse attached to our old pal Jason.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3423759/exclusive-friday-13th-cursed-production-shut/

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Friday 13th TV series at some stage, maybe fleshing out an origin story. They could call it 'Vorhees!'.

I believe a TV series was planned at one stage. Seems Paramount are allowing their one-time horror cash cow to go to New Line, which may not bode well given what they did when they rebooted Freddie Krueger.

I seem to remember a Friday the 13th tv series many moons ago that had nothing whatsoever to do with the films. It was a bit naff, but I watched them from time to time.

But...but..but...the thing that was scary about Suspiria is that it was so impenetrably erm...impenetrable. Like, artistically so. Take that away and all you'll probably have is a lame story about witches.

I didn't see that movie until I was in my 30's and afterward was too scared to go outside in the dark. I thought for sure witches were going to get me. That was a first, I must say.

Tales from the Crypt series was good but it was cut on uk tv even though it was on after midnight.

You can find those all on Youtube now. I think they're the uncut versions. I used to like getting some wine in and binge watching them.

But...but..but...the thing that was scary about Suspiria is that it was so impenetrably erm...impenetrable. Like, artistically so. Take that away and all you'll probably have is a lame story about witches.

I didn't see that movie until I was in my 30's and afterward was too scared to go outside in the dark. I thought for sure witches were going to get me. That was a first, I must say.

"The Only Thing More Terrifying Than The Last 12 Minutes Of This Film Are The First 92."

Suspiria is a really "immersive" horror movie, to use that rubbish word, but it fits, it's a full on sensory overload of sound and vision and general hysteria. It's almost experimental only it has that fairy tale plot about the princess vanquishing the wicked witch.

The remake is by someone whose last film featured Ralph Fiennes very naked, which may be just as scary to some people.

Back